PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst concert you've ever attended?

Lynne
01-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Around 1974 or so, I saw Black Sabbath (Ozzy). It was the absolute worst concert I've ever attended. All the musicians were trashed. They were making an attempt at jamming - phew! We left early, that's how bad it was.

I think the best one was a Steppenwolf concert, followed by a John Denver (I wasn't even a John Denver fan).

Godsmack was in Binghamton in November. I really wanted to go in a bad way. Didn't get to.

Anyone remember the Grassroots?

L

MiloMan
01-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I went to a Bob Dylan concert back in the early 90's, and he was so drunk and high that he was using the mike stand to hold himself up on occasion. He also slurred his words (to an even greater degree than he always did). Complete waste of money; we left after about half an hour.

Lynne
01-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Boy, I can't imagine what Bob Dylan would sound like if he slurred his words, Carol Channing?

L

MiloMan
01-15-2004, 06:08 PM
He sounded like a very drunk guy, with a mouth full of popcorn, doing a Bob Dylan impersonation.

GJK
01-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Went to a Neil Young concert (which was excellent) with the opening act being Blind Melon which was horrible. It reminded me of a lounge act because everyone in the audience was just chatting and generally ignoring them after they played that one silly song (whatever it was, had the little girl in the bee outfit). At one point, the singer stopped his act and said "oh, I get it...you all just want to hear Neil Young" at which point the place erupted with a "hell yeah!!!".

Sad, no wonder he od'd on heroin.....

Bob45
01-15-2004, 06:50 PM
I used to love going to concerts. Still do but it's expensive with a big family. Can't really remember a bad one. Just being there with a bunch of friends and the atmosphere would make anyone of them good actually.

The most recent I've seen is AC/DC. I also saw them back in the 70's. I remember seeing Aerosmith, Peter Frampton, Yes, Gary Wright, Rick Derringer, Cheap Trick, U.K., Starz, Beachboys, and many I'm forgetting. I saw Cher once. I'd have to pick that as the worst. Not into her music. Not that it was bad.

Charger
01-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Worst, with out doubt,
Cheap Trick!!! I went with a hot date, (Australian exchange student, man she was hot!!!) Concert sucked, date didn't click, nite was terrible.
Second worst/second best, This is strange but this it true. I went to see Greg Almond, he sucked really bad!!He was so messed up you could not understand him. Then a guy I had never heard of came on, Stevie Ray Vaughn. I was ready to leave and to this day, I have never, never heard anyone play the guitar like he could! I got a tear in my eye the day I heard he had died, what a shame! Eric Clapton said it best, there were only two people that the first time he heard them,he had to pull his car over to the side of the road. One was Hendrix, the other was Stevie, good company.

Best ever???
Page and Plant, WOW!

Charger
01-15-2004, 07:37 PM
First concert, I had to add this, Golden Ear Ring and Rush, the air was heavy that night:D

rosa
01-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Where sound is concerned, I don't think I've been to a bad concert yet. But when we went to Old Trafford Cricket Club, UK to watch Simply Red on their Stars tour that was really the worst one I've been to vision wise. It was so packed that you had to be a masochist to go down to the front basically. CRUSH city. lol---I had a panic attack and decided to get out of there. Further back you could breathe a little more but the band all looked like little coloured smarties on a drum. Considering the price of the tickets the least they could have done was provide a large monitor for folks to watch. Sucked.

The best concert I ever went to was Rush at Birmingham NEC in the UK. The lighting show was out of this world and the sound was absolutely faultless. We also saw Toto live in Manchester and they too had a good sound.

supadave
01-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Lynne
Around 1974 or so, I saw Black Sabbath (Ozzy). It was the absolute worst concert I've ever attended. All the musicians were trashed. They were making an attempt at jamming - phew! We left early, that's how bad it was.

L

I saw them about 5 or 6 years later with Dio instead of Ozzy. they kicked ass. Never saw a bad one. the best without a doubt was Judas Priest, nothing like it.

giantfan43
01-16-2004, 06:28 AM
The worst concert I ever went to ? Its hard to remember .. many of them are such a daze .. I was a big concert goer in the 70's and 80's .. but the worst I ever went to was Queen .. I saw them in the early 80's .. I like their music but I hated the concert .. as for the best, its hard to pick just one ... Grateful Dead is always great .. saw Bruce Springsteen about 10 times which was always a great show .. also Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes .. they put on a great show .. one of the best I ever went to was in the early 80's in philly .. it was called the Roundup .. outdoor concert in the summer .. the bands were 38 special, molly hatchet, outlaws, Marshall Tucker and the Allman Brothers .. what a show and day that was !

Gator
01-16-2004, 06:35 AM
The worst was "The Cars", they just sucked, they stood still for 2 hours..

Best..Buffet every year !!!!!!

Gator

hatman
01-16-2004, 08:00 AM
I've been to a bunch in the last 20 some odd years and most were very good but if I had to pick one that didn't measure up to the rest I would have to say Slaughter and KISS on City Island in Harrisburg. Slaughter, who opened, was great but for some reason KISS was not what I expected. They cranked up the volume for their set and it was just too much. I couldn't hear right for days after. (forgot my freakin ear plugs)

My favorite so far was Incubus summer '02 and a close second being DMB with North Mississippi Allstars opening this past summer in Hershey.

Hurricanes_Fan
01-16-2004, 08:26 AM
By far the best concert I went to was Live Aid in Philly at the old JFK stadium.
2nd best is a tie between all 3 Motley Crue shows that I've seen. Man thoes Tommy Lee drum solos were wild.
Best small venue show was Robert Plant at the Tower Theater. Great place to see a show.

hatman
01-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Now that I think about it more I need to add BEN FOLDs at the Electric Factory in Phili. One of the best.

johnnyironboard
01-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Saw Tom Jones live for the first time in 1977 and he was great and have seen him yearly at least once (sometimes more) since 1993 (Ballys now MGM and sometimes in Houston) always great and always gets better.

tarman
01-17-2004, 06:50 PM
I really do not have a worse concert....if I had to choose it would be the Michael Stanely Band back in 1983 (yes, I am from Cleveland), but I really did not want to go anyway....I just went to drink!

best:
U2 in Denver back in 1987

rwng
01-17-2004, 06:56 PM
In 1987 I saw "Faster Pussycat" and "Motorhead" open for "Alice Cooper". I sat tortured thru the first 2 bands to see "Alice" and he wasn't much better. The first two just sounded like really loud static. Alice was all about his "show" and nothing about the music.
The best concert was "Yes", same year. They didn't have an opening act and were outstanding. I didn't want to leave my seat for a beer or anything.
I saw "Iggy Pop" and "Santana" open for the "Stones" 1982? Anyway, when the Stones started their second or third song, the whole crowd started yelling SANTANA-SANTANA. The show ended pretty soon after that.

Hibiscus09
01-18-2004, 06:50 AM
I've seen lots and lots of concerts & when I'm trying to think back, I realize how old I'm getting. :)

I'm trying to remember here -- I think the best would be:

The Eagles -- just recently - they were fantastic!

Bruce Springsteen -- again, fantastic -- you can tell he likes what he does. :)

Brooks & Dunne -- If you like country music, they put on a great, high energy show!

The Worst :eek: :

Michael Bolton -- Oh my God! My ears hurt! It was so loud & he sucked! He kept dropping his blazer off his shoulders like he was trying to be sexy -- I've never seen a guy do that. LOL

Vince Gill/Patty Loveless -- Most boring concert I've ever been to -- me and my friend left early to go get a drink somewhere.

webbum
01-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Flock of Seagulls

I think 12 people showed up and that includes the band!

Charger
01-18-2004, 07:38 AM
My first official concert was Golden Ear Ring and Rush. It was a great show but what a shock for a Iowa boy. They keep passing funny cigs around the size of cigars:D Rush had fire pots on the front of the stage and the crowd pressed forward too far when they went off. I remember hearing the front row had less hair at the end, LOL . If I remember right, tickets were 12 bucks.

CoreNobody
01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Worst:
Guns and Roses was the absolute worst band I've ever seen.They were fried.Complete waste of time.Thank god they were just opening for Iron Maiden.
Close second,Poisin.I spit on the lead singer.

Best:
IRON MAIDEN
Y&T
S.R.V.

goatscrot
01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Gin Blossoms....Oklahoma City about '94 or '95. Lead singer was so drunk/stoned/high he either couldn't remember the words to most of the songs, or when he did sing the words they were so slurred you couldn't understand them.

goatscrot
01-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Best: Tie between The Eagles in Houston '03 (and) Garth Brooks in Amarillo '96

Hibiscus09
01-18-2004, 07:40 PM
I'd like to have seen Garth Brooks. :)

NuclearArms
01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Worst Concert:

YES - sometime around 1980 when the guy from the Buggles was the lead singer. Short set, mostly new songs and no warmup act.

BigDad
01-23-2004, 02:54 AM
For what could have been the best,,,,,

I had the tickets in my hand for the Led Zeppelin "In Through the Out Door" Tour. Robert Plant's son died and they canceled the concert. Shortly after that John Bonham died and that was the end of that.

fitnessman
01-23-2004, 05:52 AM
I cant remember...Or wait! Was that the best one?...LOL!

BigDad
01-23-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by NuclearArms
Worst Concert:

YES - sometime around 1980 when the guy from the Buggles was the lead singer. Short set, mostly new songs and no warmup act.

I saw Yes 5 times in my life and I have to agree with you the 1980 tour sucked ass . The best is a toss up between the Reunion Tour with all eight members on stage trying to outdo each other and the 2002 tour was the best jam they have ever had as they are all approaching 60years of age.

NuclearArms
01-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I thought it was going to be a lot better, refreshed/recharged. Too bad it wasn't. Seen some of the reunion footage and that looked pretty good.

badclams
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
The worst was The Cult, all these drunk a$$holes from behind just started shoving their way to the front after the forty five minute delay for Ian Astbury to sober up enough to come on. I had to look in between peoples heads to see the band. They sounded great though considering, Billy Duffy rocked it.

Best concert was Accept a few years ago my girlfriend and I where probally eight feet away from the band ! I allways liked them but geez was I impressed, waaay more that what I had expected.

CKBB
02-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Squarepusher. I mean, he makes electronic music, but when my friend and I arrived he was just making terrible squelching dissonant noise very, very loudly. I only saw a few other people there and they were wearing earplugs. We left after 15 minutes, and my ears rang for 2 days.

jjd975
02-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Best was Godsmack with Aerosmith second. Not really a worst but Metallica was a let down.

sumolgi
02-14-2014, 02:29 AM
Lynrd Skynrd for me... just because they ran late and there was so much alcohol the place was turning into a vomitorium... too gross for words really.

Nottoway
02-14-2014, 03:57 AM
Worst, have 2.. OK start the BOOs, Eric Clapton and Cheap Trick... Couldn't tell what they were playing, Clapton played each song and then add 10 minutes of BS to each, this was during his stoner/drunk days, so....And CT, still not sure what that was....

First concert, Van Halen, VHII Tour, that was a show, (I was 12)!!!!! Stevie Ray, and George Thorogood were great/very fun. Wildest, Motley Cure, Dr. Feelgood Tour, lost my hearing, picked up 4 ladies....came home 2 days later, LOL!!!!!!

JOHN GARGANI
02-14-2014, 05:58 AM
I have gone to a zillion concerts over the years: worst by far, no hesitation for me, was ERIC CLAPTON: he decided that night to only play obscure blues songs....

now: I am a big BLUES fan and player myself, but everyone with us, especially my wife, wanted to hear classic Clapton hits....he didn't play one of his hits until the next to the last song!!!!!!!!!

and in between each song, he didn't even look up at the audience, not a word from him, all night, it was just perfunctory without any connection whatsoever with the audience...just terrible experience......

pharmamarketer
02-14-2014, 06:32 AM
James Taylor 1991. I didn't want to go. GF at the time did, so I went. I can't stand him as it is. Way too sappy for me. But to be around all that "sappiness" live. yuuuuck. I could not get out of there fast enough

StressMonkey
02-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Went to a concert that was a group of 80's artists. When Missing Persons came out it became immediately obvious that the lead singer was drunk as a skunk. She was slurring her words and could barely stand up. At the end of their "set" they were being loudly booed.

IasCZL072fQ

hmmmm16417
02-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Crosby stills and nash - @ $100 per ticket was not allowed to serve beer because it is in a public park in PA. they did have a VIP party for 2 hrs prior, but tickets were $50 more and the alcohol was stopped a half hour before concert started lol

positive side - was on beach on a beautiful summer night

UxDOWN
02-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Gregory Issacs (R.I.P.) but he kept dropping the mic and kept walking back stage after the fifth song. The band members would grab him to continue and even they weren't too happy about it.

HFWR
02-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Kiss, 1974

877cms
02-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Got talked into a Britney Spears concert in the 90's, obvious miming all the way through. I think I was the only one sitting down lol

Oceanside
02-14-2014, 08:42 AM
John Tesh (jazz pianist) at the San Diego Jazz festival in the late 90's...

my girlfreind was a jazz junkie..

he played 2 tunes and said his wife was in labor and then left..

boathead
02-14-2014, 09:51 AM
i've got 2 worsts.

1978 Yes. revolving stage at Madison square garden. i was so drunk that the revolving stage made me nauseous
1979 Allman Bros. at the Palladium in nyc. every freaking song had a 10 minute drum solo that blew. fell asleep.

only went to one concert after...the who, outdoors at shea stadium on one of their last tours. seems like they had 20 last tours.

and oceanside...i'd rep you if i could for admitting at all that you saw john tesh. at least a girl was involved.

so-tex
02-14-2014, 09:56 AM
The Archies. They didn't look anything like they did in their video. I was very disappointed.
/h9nE2spOw_o

dungeonmistress
02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Every show is a good show. However...I took my daughter to her very first concert to see one republic, Carolina liar and someone else, none of whom I listen to. I had to make sure she got up to the rail, got some pics and I even attained cool mom status when Carolina liar walked right in front of us and I grabbed one of em lmao.

She's gone with me to see turbonegro. Now those mofos know how to put on a good show. We've also gone together to see deadmau5/fatboy slim/datsik and bassnectar/ghost land observatory etc. Had a blast, nearly got into a fight with some pushy tards. Being short with lower center of gravity and dressing for war not whoredom, not to mention strong and not drunk, I almost sent a couple of stilt wearing idiots to the ground. I have to teach the kid how to survive in these environments and how to get up front. She knows now and goes to shows and proudly proclaims mom I got up at the rail.

That's my kid makin me proud \m/

tobymax123
02-14-2014, 12:33 PM
John Denver

Ha, John Denver was my first, probably in 1974. I don't really remember anything about it, except that it was in a theater type setting, not an arena. Not much of a concert-goer, so I don't have a real contribution to the thread, other than I'm always kind of embarrassed when people start talking about the first concert they went to.

orangegoblin
02-14-2014, 07:18 PM
I saw Motley Crue at an outdoor Monster Fest a couple of years ago. Boring as hell. Awful.

No 1980s "Shout at the Devil" stuff; video screen images were dull; long drawn-out boring versions of songs.

beachguy498
02-15-2014, 06:31 AM
I went to see Dickey Betts at Stephen Talkhouse (he was the last Montauk indian...) out east from me. There was a big delay and someone comes out and informs us that the show will not go on, Mr. Betts was not feeling well. Turns out he was passed out drunk. We did get refunds though.

I went to a bad one 2 years ago with my son, New Riders of the Purple Sage at a small local place. There was a group a few rows behind us that would not STFU through the whole show. Management talked to them but should have really tossed them out. I think they were doing E or were coked to the gills.

Rob

DaddyJax
02-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Grateful Dead. It was the last tour before Garcia died and it was pretty bad. Boring, I left before it was over.
Infectious Grooves was also pretty bad. They had nothing going except jumping around and the band kept messing up and skipping parts of the songs.

King Crimson, Royal Crown Review and KMFDM were my favorite venues I have seen.

kimm4
02-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Motley Crew

Brackneyc
02-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Sting. I love The Police, but he was solo, and not a single Police song was done. Lots of drums (like bongos and other drums which were hit with hands only). Those aorund me seemed to be into it, so my focus was on the dancing going on around me.

Bushmaster
02-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Anyone remember the Grassroots?

I love the grassroots.. what did they do? :confused:

Worst I ever saw was Lynyrd Skynyrd back in the mid-90's.. I had seen them once before with no complaints, but this time their sound was... off. Feedback squeals, reverb, and echos from beginning to end.

mcbourque
02-16-2014, 07:31 AM
One of the last concert I went to was Tom Cochrane in Halifax. He played at Dalhousie University - small place.

He was really popular then but somehow there was not many people there. I think it hasn't been advertised much. The crowd was shouting and all but there wasn't enough people for him.

He was pissed at that and he said to the crowd "OK, I'll play Life is a Highway but you guys don't deserve it."

It was so insulting, my then bf and I just walked out when I started playing.

scullin
02-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Can't think of any really bad ones except I once saw motorhead open for Ozzy in 1992 I think it was. As much as I like motorhead their sound was so muffled it was not good at all. Literally just sounded like noise. Ozzy sounded great that night though and it was overall a really good concert.

ironwill2008
02-16-2014, 09:08 AM
The worst? Probably REO way back in the early '80's. Wasn't a fan, but went anyway with some friends. Band might have been okay, but they were so freaking loud that their music and vocals were unintelligible. And I was in the music biz at that time (mixing live sound in medium-to-large-size venues), and was accustomed to loud PA systems.

Corbi
02-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Trans Siberian Orchestra, we went a few yrs back right after their song Wizard of Winter became a huge hit. It was the 2nd song in the set and the only one that was decent, the rest of it consisted of some guy coming out and talking a lot and treating the show as a play. We left at the intermission and we weren't the only ones, dozens were filing out with us and the ushers were almost begging us to stay by telling us it gets better in the 2nd half but by that time we had had enough.

Bushmaster
02-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Trans Siberian Orchestra, we went a few yrs back right after their song Wizard of Winter became a huge hit. It was the 2nd song in the set and the only one that was decent, the rest of it consisted of some guy coming out and talking a lot and treating the show as a play.

Strong missing the point lol..

TSO is amazing and I've seen them four times.

scullin
02-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Strong missing the point lol..

TSO is amazing and I've seen them four times.

Only seen their DVDs but want to go to a show one of these years.

8qKH1zY4o1k

62Wolf
02-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Went to see Blue Oyster Cult (When the Bouchards were still with them) and they were GREAT. Unfortunately, the opening act was a band called "Girl's School" which was frickin' horrible in every conceivable way. I once went to a Barry Friggin' Manilow concert cause the wife wanted to see him. I think I was only 1 of 3 guys in there and I thought I finally landed in Hell for something I did in a past life. It turned VERY entertaining, however, after the 2nd song when a couple chicks behind me started turning on a drunken woman who had been singing very loudly along with Barry and to top it off, she had a lisp. Hilarity ensued when they started tussling and "Security" had to break it up and drag them out. I always remind the wife that of all the shows I went to, the only one where violence took place near me was at Barry's show.....

Bushmaster
02-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Only seen their DVDs but want to go to a show one of these years.

8qKH1zY4o1k

Then this Christmas when they tour again, you really need to treat yourself.. you won't regret it. :cool:

mcapote3
02-16-2014, 11:15 AM
worst concert I ever attended was KC and the sunshine band in the 90s LOL. KC's voice sounds like he eats razor blades now.

mcbourque
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Can't think of any really bad ones except I once saw motorhead open for Ozzy in 1992 I think it was. As much as I like motorhead their sound was so muffled it was not good at all. Literally just sounded like noise. Ozzy sounded great that night though and it was overall a really good concert.

I saw Motörhead in a small club in Montreal (Spectrum). It was very very good. I think their sound is probably better in those smaller venues than in a large Arena.

scullin
02-16-2014, 12:38 PM
I saw Motörhead in a small club in Montreal (Spectrum). It was very very good. I think their sound is probably better in those smaller venues than in a large Arena.

Yeah it was like their equipment wasn't up to the task.

scullin
02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Then this Christmas when they tour again, you really need to treat yourself.. you won't regret it. :cool:

Almost went last year but it was the night before I was going on an 1100 mile road trip so I didn't go. Probably will go this year.

dungeonmistress
02-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah it was like their equipment wasn't up to the task.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m80urgwpKt1raalovo1_500.gif

SuperZar
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
worst concert I ever attended was KC and the sunshine band in the 90s LOL. KC's voice sounds like he eats razor blades now.

Interesting. I saw them open for Van Halen not too long ago and also thought it was the worst I'd ever seen.

ibanez0720
11-06-2014, 06:34 PM
The worst for me was The Black Crows. They were an hour late, and then only played 4 songs and simply walked off the stage. It was supposed to be a 3 hour show.

Brackneyc
11-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Interesting. I saw them open for Van Halen not too long ago and also thought it was the worst I'd ever seen.

They opened for VH? Oh the horror. Even if they played awesome, they ought not have been on, or near the same stage as VH.

discdoggie
11-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Grateful Dead. It was the last tour before Garcia died and it was pretty bad. Boring, I left before it was over.

Say what?????? I caught every single show in 95 from 1/1/95 until 7/9/95. 95 was awesome.

This was the last SMR from the last show he played at soldier field in Chicago. Hands down best so many roads played live EVER

http://youtu.be/6sFyRQPraJ8

The thing that's sad is that from 1987 on they were selling out stadium shows and for every person who didn't "get it" (I bet you didn't pre-enlighten before the show) there was some poor soul shut out who would've danced so hard to every riff of Jerry's sweet Rosebud. :)

My worst was Big Country in 1986. We just went there to sell LSD to the concert goers and some dude gifted me a free ticket so I said what the ****, why not.-

RobRocks
11-06-2014, 11:22 PM
not sure if this was the worst,me and a friend went to see Bonjovi when they went to New Zealand and we smoked a big fat joint and we both fell asleep and woke up just as it was about to finish.

The best concerts I have been to well Nothing Beats The Rolling Stones and then a very close 2nd AC/DC

poundXpound
11-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Phil Collins about 10 years ago. Did nothing from Genesis or his solo hits. It was when he was getting into Broadway and was doing that stuff. Was not aware and wouldn't have gone had we known this.

RT1957
11-07-2014, 08:48 AM
New Years Eve sometime in the late 70's went to the Cow Place in SF to see the run aways the ready mades, rick derringer and Sammy Hagar....the run aways and ready mades both got booed off the stage within minutes of coming on so from about 10PM - midnight there was no-one playing because the headliners hadn't shown up so they ran the PA music for 2 hours before Rick Derringer showed up and played....

I also saw John "Cougar" Mellencamp get booed off the stage as an opening act before he made it

JonnyStead
11-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I saw Nirvana in about 91 in the Uk. Terrible. Cobain was well on his way out - it was a shame.

DaddyJax
11-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Say what?????? I caught every single show in 95 from 1/1/95 until 7/9/95. 95 was awesome.

This was the last SMR from the last show he played at soldier field in Chicago. Hands down best so many roads played live EVER

http://youtu.be/6sFyRQPraJ8

The thing that's sad is that from 1987 on they were selling out stadium shows and for every person who didn't "get it" (I bet you didn't pre-enlighten before the show) there was some poor soul shut out who would've danced so hard to every riff of Jerry's sweet Rosebud. :)

My worst was Big Country in 1986. We just went there to sell LSD to the concert goers and some dude gifted me a free ticket so I said what the ****, why not.-Oh no, I was enlightened for sure. But not enough to notice Jerry missing lines and the other members being confused at times. The sound was off and it was just, boring. I had higher hopes.

skew12
11-09-2014, 03:17 PM
311. Like 3-4 times. Absolutely horrible.

I've seen bar bands play their music much better.

discdoggie
11-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Oh no, I was enlightened for sure. But not enough to notice Jerry missing lines and the other members being confused at times. The sound was off and it was just, boring. I had higher hopes.

He blew some lyrics in that 12 minute So Many Roads from Soldier Fields. :D

I guess his faithful disciples cut him a lot of slack. :o He was my Papa Bear. I miss him every day.

I just got back from 3 nights of Phil @ the Capitol. Its great they're all doing their thing to keep the music alive and The Family somewhat intact, but without JerBear, they're all just other dudes playing improvisational psychedelic jam tunes. But 2015 is the 50th year anniversary, so we'll see what kinda reunion thing they'll put on. Discdoggie is quitting her job, buying and converting an 0ld school bus, and going on tour. Anyone wanna come with? :D

Dave1958
11-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Hands down a Merle Haggard concert in MO. Lasted 30 minutes tops. No encore, and he didn't even sing his #1 hit of the time watermelon Wine

ChazWood
11-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Hands down a Lenny Kravitz concert in '93 when Shannon Hoon, the lead singer of Blind Melon who was the lead act, decided to urinate on the audience.

Not cool, dude, not cool!

Xscoot
11-09-2014, 10:18 PM
David Copperfield, man that was the suckiest suck suck waste of time and $ ever.

Marius_Ursus
11-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Soundgarden in support of Superunknown.

It sucked so hard, I could feel the air being ripped from my lungs.

BusterMudd
11-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Three shows come to mind:

- I saw Elvin Bishop warm up for Frank Zappa. Ironically, the Zappa show was perhaps the best concert I've ever seen in my life...but Elvin Bishop was such an inappropriate opening act that it was painful. 30 minutes of relentless sucky cowboy boogie is *NOT* the way to get the crowd psyched up for Zappa's brand of inanity & polyrhythmic precision. iirc Bishop finally got booed off the stage before his planned final number.

- I saw Tears For Fears from the very back row of a huge hockey rink arena, completely surrounded by hysterically screaming pre-pubescent girls. Could barely hear the band. It was like Beatlemania...except at least The Beatles moved around a bit. I had to use binoculars just to confirm that the Tears For Fears guys were even breathing.

- Porcupine Tree, back around 2006 ...I think it was the Fear Of A Blank Planet tour. Incredibly uninspired material, performed with the aura of some high school science dorks who had just seen an episode of Headbanger's Ball for the first time. Just awkward, meandering, and dull. Didn't help that their warm-up act - Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew under the guise of "ProjeKct Six", with Belew on V-Drums - absolutely sucked ass.

eomrat
11-10-2014, 12:45 PM
I saw something that was calling itself "Black Sabbath" in '84 or '85 (I think)
I was row 4, section B in the Omni in Atlanta. By unanimous consent we all left around the 6th song and it took us ovet half an hour to get out because so many other people were leaving.

a-dog
11-10-2014, 01:02 PM
David Lee Roth in 1994.

I'm a HUGE Van Halen fan, I lean more towards being a Sammy fan but I love almost everything they've ever done.

I saw VH live in 91 and in 93. 93 could have been the best concert I've ever seen.

Dave was on the downside of his solo career at that point and he was terrible. only about 500 people showed up (VH did 2 shows at the same venue the summer before and sold out both nights, about 15,000 people). they opened the pavillion and everyone got to sit close to the stage.

Dave sounded terrible, his voice was bad. His band was terrible. His guitar player was a guy named Terry Killgore who happned to be a childhood friend of Eddie Van Halen but he was just kind of bad for an act as big as Dave was at one time.

Dave stopped the show 2-3 times to argue with fans...

the whole thing was terrilbe.

I saw Vince Niel for free in 04 (I think) and he was really, really bad as well.

mslman71
11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I haven't been to many of them. I don't like crowds. I'd say the worst was probably Kiss. I saw them twice (free tickets and friends wanted to go) and they were terrible both times.

MrGreenTea
11-10-2014, 01:53 PM
David Copperfield, man that was the suckiest suck suck waste of time and $ ever.

Hah. I saw his show too. He completely phoned it in.

I went to an Usher concert and nearly died it was so bad.

Cass40
11-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I saw Nirvana in about 91 in the Uk. Terrible. Cobain was well on his way out - it was a shame.

I saw Nirvana in 91 in the Uk also.

You didn't happen to go to Reading festival?

Edit: never mind, Reading was 1992.

Hussar1
11-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Saw Blink 182 in Tijuana in the early (just pre-MTV fame) days when they still had original drummer. He was so fukked up they barely finished their set. Had to start several songs over more than once.

We barely made it back in time for morning formation, and ran that PT still drunk, so night wasn't a total wash.

beachguy498
11-12-2014, 08:13 AM
I had tickets to see Dicky Betts out in Montauk, maybe in 1991. The show was to start at 8 PM.. he comes out close to 10 and is monumentally drunk and can't get anything going. His crew grabbed him from the stage and a short time later someone came out and announced we'd all get a refund on our tickets.

Chowboy
11-12-2014, 08:43 AM
The worst was my last. Cal Jam something or other in the late 70s.

I realized then that I am just not tuned to crowds...hate 'em.