PDA

View Full Version : Wow gelatin (jell-o) is really protein rich!

The Protagonist
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21QO.html

maybe add a scoop of sugar, but by it self it's almost 100% protein

Random907
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21QO.html

maybe add a scoop of sugar, but by it self it's almost 100% protein
Really now.

Thanks for the info.

PowerBuilder08
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Wow...I didn't even realize that. Doubt I'll actually just eat pure gelatin without the added sugar very often, but still an interesting thing to lock into the back of my mind. Good find, reps on recharge.

justanothagirl
04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah i use the unflavored gelatins and add flavored water to it to make jelly. pure protein :) sometimes mix in some bcaa's (xtend) cos they are tasty as hell. only like 1/2 gram tho so it's hardly anything.

PowerBuilder08
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
yeah i use the unflavored gelatins and add flavored water to it to make jelly. pure protein :) sometimes mix in some bcaa's (xtend) cos they are tasty as hell. only like 1/2 gram tho so it's hardly anything.

Interesting...do you use it PWO or before bed or anything, or just during the day as a part of a meal?

justanothagirl
04-03-2007, 06:09 PM
yeah i sometimes have it after my shake or something, or just in between meals when i get hungry or feel like having a snack lol. 1 bowl of this stuff is like 4g of protein so i almost consider it a free meal. altho sometimes i add in some cut up grapes for carbs, tasty :)

Dolfan_714
04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Description
Gelatin is a protein, made from the hydrolysis of collagen, a protein that makes up about a third of all mammalian tissue. Collagen is what makes up much of the connective tissue, tendons, and the protein part of bones.

Hydrolysis in proteins is the process of adding a molecule of water to break the bonds between some of the amino acids, thereby making the protein chains smaller.

Collagen forms a triple helix, where three chains of connected amino acids form weak hydrogen bonds between the double bonded oxygen atoms and the hydrogen atoms attached to the adjacent chain's nitrogens. The three chains then twist together like three cords in a rope.

In gelatin, when the triple helices are heated in water, they open up, and some of the hydrolyzed ends fray out to tangle with other ropes, and water is trapped in the strands. The result is a gel, a wiggly semi-solid mass.

Uses
Gelatin is very familiar as the gelling agent in Jell-O desserts. It is also used to thicken yogurt, sour cream, and ice creams, and is dried to form the dissolvable plastic capsules that make medicines easier to swallow.

Gelatin in its unrefined form is the hide glue used to hold violins together.

Gelatin is the binder that makes marshmallows possible, and is also what makes gummy bear candies gummy.

http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/gelatin.html

justanothagirl
04-03-2007, 06:21 PM
yeah i read somewhere it's beneficial for your joints too, for athletes. heres an article but theres loads more on google http://www.bsu.edu/news/article/0,1370,-1019-632,00.html

PowerBuilder08
04-03-2007, 06:22 PM
yeah i read somewhere it's beneficial for your joints too, for athletes. heres an article but theres loads more on google http://www.bsu.edu/news/article/0,1370,-1019-632,00.html

Very nice...I got ya with reps on the recharge, thanks for the help!

Dolfan_714
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM

nice link.

but what what we should try to make everybody understand is, Gelatin should not be substatuted for a whey or protein complex.

I can see some of these teenies now, chugging a pack of jello instead of some Fuzzy navel Nectar PWO.

The Protagonist
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Hmm, I wonder why more people don't use this then..

you guys have any ideas on how to effectively sweeten this?

also flavored water, where did you get that?

thanks

Kate~
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I may be wrong but it seems like I read it was a real poor quality protein..?

Blap Blaow
04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Hmm, I wonder why more people don't use this then..

you guys have any ideas on how to effectively sweeten this?

also flavored water, where did you get that?

thanks

Gelatin(e) is an awful source of protein. Not only is it an incomplete but (depending on the source) it's high in the amino acids you don't need (NEAA's) and deficient in those you do (EAA's).

Dolfan_714
04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Gelatin(e) is an awful source of protein. Not only is it an incomplete but (depending on the source) it's high in the amino acids you don't need (NEAA's) and deficient in those you do (EAA's).

+1

The Protagonist
04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I may be wrong but it seems like I read it was a real poor quality protein..?

what happened to your Ashla account?
---
Well it looked really good on paper, ah well.

Wheat Gluten looks like a good source protein too & it's also cheap as hell so I could go with that

justanothagirl
04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
so what if you added in whey or whatever? wouldnt that complete the amino acid profile or whatever? then ud have a nice snack :) the lemonade flavored scivation xtend tastes really good with lemon flavored jelly. its expensive yeah but you only need a little. and it's not like gelatin is anybody's main source of protein, it just makes for a nice snack without any harm done.

i get my flavored water from fruit2o or something, do you guys get that? you could also just use crystal light.

Blap Blaow
04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I can see some of these teenies now, chugging a pack of jello...

that's exactly what those 'liquid protein shooter' type products are *cry*

Dolfan_714
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
so what if you added in whey or whatever? wouldnt that complete the amino acid profile or whatever? then ud have a nice snack :) the lemonade flavored scivation xtend tastes really good with lemon flavored jelly.

i get my flavored water from fruit2o or something, do you guys get that? you could also just use crystal light.

Why not use a fruity whey powder then instead (GF pro. Syntrax Nectar)? Whey protein by itself already has a good mino profile.

as for the flavored water, why not just use the xtend lemonade in water? probably the same price as thouse fruit2o's and crystal lites.

Jello is what it is, a desert. and did you know gelatin it's made from animal hides and bones. something you all might want to read.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/jello.asp

justanothagirl
04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
yeah that's a good idea, with the fruity whey powder and all. but anyways, it's not like most of us are vegetarians in here, so what does its source matter? i eat the skin on my chicken as well what's the big deal? i dont think the bones are all that gross either altho i don't eat them but that's only cos they are difficult to eat lol.

natescope
04-03-2007, 07:15 PM
yeah that's a good idea, with the fruity whey powder and all. but anyways, it's not like most of us are vegetarians in here, so what does its source matter? i eat animal the skin on my chicken as well what's the big deal? i dont think the bones are all that gross either altho i don't eat them but that's only cos they are difficult to eat lol.

you're missing out, bones are a good source of calcium :)