PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my cardio.. High intensity?

vortex72
12-31-2003, 09:42 AM
I've read a lot about HIIT, but I just dont feel comfortable doing that type of training at this point. I seem to get more benefit doing a longer cardio session(both physically and mentally).

I know HIIT has many benefits so I have tried to incorporate some aspects of this into my cardio sessions (treadmill)

Here is my workout. I'm 31yo so my max hr is around 189.

Treadmill 40 minutes total.

15 minutes of HR at 140-150

followed by 15minutes of 3.5minutes HR 160-170 followed by 1.5minutes walking with HR ~130. I do this alternation until I hit a total of 30min on the treadmill

At this point I go to a 12degree incline and walk at a pace fast enough to keep me 150-160 for 10 more minutes making a total session of 40minutes.

My question is am I getting similar benefits to standard HIIT with this routine or should I change something up?

Thanks in advance.

Bignbuff
12-31-2003, 10:09 AM
You don't have to do HIIT to burn calories man. Plenty of people have lost weight without doing HIIT. I see no problems with the routine you posted, just make sure it's intense for you.

Corbint
12-31-2003, 10:21 AM
if you dont feel comfortable with HIIT cardio routines, you definitely shouldnt do them! they are a very tough workout for the heart, and if you arent used to that sort of cardiovascular activity, it could cause more harm than good.

continue with your current plan of treadmill activity, and then in a few months when your body is used to it, switch it up to do a minute of jogging and a minute of sprinting(after a proper warmup). do this for 15 to 20 minutes and you will feel the benefits!