PDA

View Full Version : where to get dextrose....

Xpander
12-30-2003, 10:51 AM
i've looked everywhere, all the major grocers, various health food stores, to no avail...any ideas where to get this outside of online stores ?

also, question re: maltodextrin....I see this is one of the 2 ingredients in splenda and aspartame....could you put splenda or aspartame into your pwo shake and get the insulin spike needed for protein uptake ??

BoxerUK
12-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Xpander
i've looked everywhere, all the major grocers, various health food stores, to no avail...any ideas where to get this outside of online stores ?

also, question re: maltodextrin....I see this is one of the 2 ingredients in splenda and aspartame....could you put splenda or aspartame into your pwo shake and get the insulin spike needed for protein uptake ??
The dextrose might be called glucose.

The answer to your second question is no.

Xpander
12-30-2003, 12:25 PM
right then, I searched (and asked) for dextrose/corn sugar or glucose at these places, none had it.

I checked out another thread and looks as if a home brewary retailer should have it....just thought it would be avail at one of the major grocer chains in the city, guess not.

thanks for the bit on maltodexrtrin....

BoxerUK
12-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Maltodextrin is fine for an insulin spike but Splenda contains far too little carbs to give you an insulin spike of any degree.

lochick87
12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
for dextrose just buy gatorade powder at your local grocer.

Xpander
12-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BoxerUK
Maltodextrin is fine for an insulin spike but Splenda contains far too little carbs to give you an insulin spike of any degree.

duely noted, malto decent/good, splenda bad (for pwo shake anyway)

and lochick...no kidding, I've about 10 lbs of the gatorade mix already at home (from Sams/Cosco club), didn't know it was pretty much dextrose.

anyway, this may be splitting hairs but....if I consume a 16 oz bottle of my gatorade mix during workout, will the carbs (insulin spike) carry over long enough up to when I drink my pwo shake immediately following my session ??

Bignbuff
12-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Check your PM's Xpander. ;)

ripped_holla
12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
I went to the local natural foods store the other day and was poking around the "baking" section - where they have all the sweeteners and such. I found fructose and a bunch of other stuff, but no malto or dextrose.

might
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
bump

duely noted, malto decent/good, splenda bad (for pwo shake anyway)

and lochick...no kidding, I've about 10 lbs of the gatorade mix already at home (from Sams/Cosco club), didn't know it was pretty much dextrose.

anyway, this may be splitting hairs but....if I consume a 16 oz bottle of my gatorade mix during workout, will the carbs (insulin spike) carry over long enough up to when I drink my pwo shake immediately following my session ??

bump

realitysfringe
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I've only been able to buy it online. Most health stores only sell Fructose for some reason. That being said, when you make a supp. order, you can get 10lbs of that **** for like $12.

Neopragmatist
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
It's almost impossible to find. I once saw Vitamin Shoppe carry dextrose, but I don't think they do anymore. If you live close to one, you may want to call them to make sure. The only place I know is online. :(

angelgarcia
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html
Pure Dextrose

Knux
07-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Smarties are dextrose.

db2012
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
any pharmacy should have pure 4g dextrose tabs, also the candy "smaties" is basically pure dextrose. I prefer maltodextrin over dextrose if for PWO spike.

nathan183
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Try a bulk food store. Bulk Barn in Canada has it (labeled as Corn Sugar) and it's dirt cheap.

Neopragmatist
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
But it's probably impossible to find non-GMO dextrose...