PDA

View Full Version : there goes ephedra

Batz w/ Napalm
12-30-2003, 08:47 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&e=1&u=/ap/20031230/ap_on_he_me/ephedra

They want to ban ephedra because it caused over 100 deaths. I imagine if they looked over those who died, they had other underlining issues. So of course, they don't ban smoking which kills tens of thousands, instend they ban this. Tylenol kills more ever year than ephedra.

desman
12-30-2003, 09:10 AM
better stock up while u can......

Matthew3000GTsL
12-30-2003, 10:51 AM
That wont stop the selling over the internet....

JayDee311
12-30-2003, 12:09 PM
How do you figure it won't stop sale over the internet? So bodybuilding.com will still carry ephedra based products? How so?

bdj428
12-30-2003, 12:19 PM
You can buy just about anything over the internet, so getting it really won't be a problem. Except for one thing: many of ephedrine products are manufactured in the U.S., so with the ban these U.S. companies can no longer produce it. Hence, supply will go down & price will go through the roof. It will probably be cheaper to get clenbuterol from Mexico. Besides, clen is more effective than ephedra anyway, and I suspect the feds will be keeping a very close eye on ephedra sales once the ban goes into effect.

This was really a win-win situation for Bush and the legislators. Even though the industry claims, and I believe it, that 12-17 million Americans use ephedra products, most people will not complain. Why? One word: kids. All politicians have to say is, "We're banning ephedra to keep kids safe." No one can argue with that statement and come out looking good. You won't be able to convince the average soccer mom that little Johnny won't be better off if that dangerous drug ephedra is off the streets.

Some people in another post have slammed Bush for pushing this ban. Now, I'm not a great fan of Bush, but let's be fair: Clinton, Gore, Howard Dean, Hillary ... whoever else was in the White House at the time would have done the same thing. It's smart politically. The lone exception may be the bodybuilding and sports community, and we've rolled over time and time again on this type of thing.

The bottom line is, Bush now has something to boast about in the next election. And the Democrat presidential candidates will likely step in line and herald the decision.

All they've succeeding in doing is making ephedra a black market product. As someone else pointed out, the pharmaceutical companies can now push their prescription fat drugs with no worries from over-the-counter ephedra competition. They are trule the big winners in all this.

pogue
12-30-2003, 01:07 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205416