PDA

View Full Version : denaturing of whey

xxghostxx
12-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know exactly what temperature has been found to cause this in whey protein? I tried to find it on some other threads but the answers varied to much.

BoxerUK
12-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Why do you want to know that?

jimmy_page07
12-28-2003, 06:57 PM
maybe he wants to use whey in heated foods or desserts and doesnt know if this will denature it.

BoxerUK
12-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by jimmy_page07
maybe he wants to use whey in heated foods or desserts and doesnt know if this will denature it.
Maybe, if that's the case then don't worry about it. It will still be a quality protein source if you cook with it.

xxghostxx
12-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jimmy_page07

This is exactly what I was curious about, the use of Whey in baking or any kind of cooking where very high temperatures would be achieved.

BoxerUK
12-28-2003, 08:21 PM
I've answered your q above^^^^

Douche_Nutz
12-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by BoxerUK
Maybe, if that's the case then don't worry about it. It will still be a quality protein source if you cook with it.

But his question remains. The protein is not as high of quality as it could be once it is cooked for a while over a certain temperature.

I believe the temperature is somewhere in the 100's but I'm not positive about that.

BoxerUK
12-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Douche_Nutz
But his question remains. The protein is not as high of quality as it could be once it is cooked for a while over a certain temperature.

I believe the temperature is somewhere in the 100's but I'm not positive about that.
The whey protein will start to become denatured at temperatures over 65 C.