PDA

View Full Version : How Much Soy Is Too Much Soy

cjdawg1069
12-24-2003, 08:22 PM
For awhile I was taking maybe two servings of Soy Isolate a day(Which is two scoops) about 25g of protein per serving. I figured Soy is perfert for protein and little carbs. Well Also I was taking a serving of Soy Nuts each day. Just curious if 2 servings of Soy Isolate and 1 Serving of Soy nuts was too much soy for a male. Considering they say too much soy for a male is bad. Any opinions?

lancelot
12-24-2003, 08:34 PM
who says too much soy is bad? it can only be good for you. you're fine with the amounts you're taking. don't worry.

cjdawg1069
12-24-2003, 10:17 PM
I've just read things before dealing with estrogen that have concerned me. Here is a example

Soy: Good or Bad After the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a heart-friendly label claim for soy protein last October, two of its own experts stepped forward to criticize the agency's move. They pointed to studies that possibly indicate soy phytoestrogens, chemicals found in soy that are similar to the female hormone estrogen, may enhance a widely found type of estrogen-feeding breast cancer. They also expressed fears that soy-based infant formulas could possibly alter sexual development.

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/gai_content/learn/gai_learnArticlePrint.asp?article_id=339

stabmaster
12-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Wow. that's the most convincing post i've seen against soy yet. I know that there are two sides to the story-- but hey, soy is an inferior food and soy isolate isn't that much better. If i'm not mistaken, soy isolates have phytoestrogens removed, and there are some serious benefits. I think that even soy isolates have anti-vitamins, though. Not really one to bone up on my soy trivia, 'cause I think it sucks.

All in all, i say f*ck soy. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

LordNeon
12-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by cjdawg1069
For awhile I was taking maybe two servings of Soy Isolate a day(Which is two scoops) about 25g of protein per serving. I figured Soy is perfert for protein and little carbs. Well Also I was taking a serving of Soy Nuts each day. Just curious if 2 servings of Soy Isolate and 1 Serving of Soy nuts was too much soy for a male. Considering they say too much soy for a male is bad. Any opinions?

I don't think there's any informed conclusion made either way about that (no matter what they tell you here.) Some research seems to suggest that soy isoflavones may encourage estrogenic effects by binding to estrogen receptors. Other research seems to suggest that it may actually reduce estrogenic effects by preventing real estrogen from binding to those same receptors.

If you're worried, you might just want to take out some of that soy and use whey protein instead. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plenty of people have made gains on soy - just do what works for you.

BIG BROWN K
12-25-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by stabmaster

All in all, i say f*ck soy. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Bump:cool:

footballjunior
12-25-2003, 11:56 AM
yeah there's better proteins out there for sure

Bam Jesusman
12-25-2003, 01:13 PM
No doubt there is better protiens...but tell the man facts. Is there actually negative effects to taking too much soy though?
;)Missin the PO Club Chris:(

cjdawg1069
12-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Just don't want to grow bitch tits ;)

What would Soy be good for then, in means of slow, medium or fast digestion..

ratmonkey
12-25-2003, 11:04 PM
long term intake of soy has been linked to alzheimer's and other brain wasting and dementia diseases.

Stay Puft
12-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ratmonkey
long term intake of soy has been linked to alzheimer's and other brain wasting and dementia diseases.

Do you have a link to anything that supports this? This is news to me. The raging soy debate is something that has been going on for a long time, but I am personally a fan. When I can get hotdogs with 13g of protein with less that 1 gram of carbs and Fat respectively, I am going to eat it!
Here is a terrific and classic thread with a great amount of soy info:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139894&highlight=protein+cons

I am a soy fan. I believe in a diverse amino acid pool and 25g/day of soy is beneficial in my eyes.

forklift
12-26-2003, 03:05 AM
...several population studies have found that certain groups of people, that are known to habitually consume soy foods, have lower rates of dementia.

East Asian countries, where soy is a staple in the diet, have a significantly lower incidence of dementia and also tend towards a lower incidence of Alzheimer's disease compared to people from European countries.......

...meat eaters were more than twice as likely to develop dementia compared to the vegetarians (who consume soy regularly). There was also a trend towards delayed onset of dementia in the vegetarians.....

One study reported a link between tofu consumption during mid-life and early brain aging in a group of American-Japanese men living on the Island of Oahu in ... education level, age and a history of prior strokes were the three most important predictors of cognitive functioning... This study does not provide evidence that soy foods in general, nor isoflavones specifically, are related to an increased risk of dementia. Further, it is contrary to the epidemiological evidence that indicates populations who consume soy as a staple in the diet have a lower incidence of dementia, compared to Western populations........

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/nutrition/soy-questions.html