PDA

View Full Version : Creatine and low-carb diet?

Geez4
12-21-2003, 03:19 PM
I've read/researched as much as I can through the site on the the topics of creatine and a low-carb diet. Since I began following a low-carb diet I've lost 22lbs since October 2003. I'm planning to start a creatine and dextrose combination for postworkout. Regarding the added from the dextrose, I've read here on the site that the carbs from the postworkout creatine dextrose mix should not be counted towards my daily carb intake. Could someone explain from a more physiological perspective how these carbs are comsumed differently as they are taken immediately after a workout? It has been commented here through other posts that fat loss is still possible while following a low-carb diet while incorporating the creatine dextrsoe combination.

I apoligize if this question has been asked in the past but appreciate any input.

thanks

sixthsense
12-22-2003, 09:08 AM
It is true that carbs taken in after training are utilized mostly for glycogen restorage and therefore will not result in an increase in bodyfat as readily as the same carbs taken in during another time of day, however, to say they should not be counted toward daily carb #s is a bit extreme.

The key to building muscle and losing/maintaining bodyfat levels is correct carb "timing," along with using proper carb amounts and types. I have added about 8 lbs of muscle this year while maintaining about 6-7% bodyfat and a daily carb count of
50-100 g. Proper supplementation and use of dietary fats also help quite a bit in this regard.

During the entire period of this low carb diet I ALWAYS include a high GI carb post training and will do so right up until the final week before competition.