PDA

View Full Version : quick cooking oatmeal - good or bad

rockyk86
03-26-2007, 04:08 PM
i eat quakers quick cooking oatmeal 4 times a day, i'll begin cutting after a few weeks, quick cooking oatmeal is a hi-gi source of carbs, i will reduce my carb intake while cutting, so intake of slow digesting carbs is imperative,

should i continue consumption of quick cooking oatmeal(reduced intake) or do i switch to a diffrent source for low-gi carbs?

liftin24/7
03-26-2007, 05:12 PM
i would say its fine...juust be careful of what ur putting in it....on my cut i used quaker quick oats..

mjl0302
03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
i always use one minute oats. just watch your carbs as you cut and remember to incorporate refeed days

jGvasa
03-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Do you mean this oatmeal? http://www.yummy.com/images/products/Quaker-Oats-Whole-Grain_Hig.jpg

What's the difference between that oatmeal, and the regular Quaker Rolled Oats? Nutrition facts are the same, the only difference I see is that the oats are alot smaller and chopped up.

Skull Crusher Chris
03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Do you mean this oatmeal? http://www.yummy.com/images/products/Quaker-Oats-Whole-Grain_Hig.jpg

What's the difference between that oatmeal, and the regular Quaker Rolled Oats? Nutrition facts are the same, the only difference I see is that the oats are alot smaller and chopped up.

the difference is in the GI. Old fashioned is about 58 and Quick and Instant is in the high 80's.

Pearson666
03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
the difference is in the GI. Old fashioned is about 58 and Quick and Instant is in the high 80's.

wow really? I never knew that. I always have thought that they are the same since the ingredients/nutritional values are the same...

Skull Crusher Chris
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
wow really? I never knew that. I always have thought that they are the same since the ingredients/nutritional values are the same...

thats what alot of people think but the instant and quick cooking are more processed(note the difference in shape and size) which make them have a higher GI

Pearson666
03-26-2007, 05:50 PM
thats what alot of people think but the instant and quick cooking are more processed(note the difference in shape and size) which make them have a higher GI

So, it would be smart to have rolled or steelcut oats in the morning? or am i wrong?

Oddball8945
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
its really not that big a deal guys, as long as its 100% oats your fine, chuck in a tbsp of ground cinnimon that'll lower the gi if your so worried and stablize blood sugar & add fiber.

Skull Crusher Chris
03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
So, it would be smart to have rolled or steelcut oats in the morning? or am i wrong?

yes if you are concerned with GI. I am kinda concerned with GI because I personally feel it matters but mainly like the taste better then the taste of quick

skinnyboipgh
03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
yes if you are concerned with GI. I am kinda concerned with GI because I personally feel it matters but mainly like the taste better then the taste of quick

X2, plus I like the "chunkier" texture of old fashioned or steel cut oats, compared 2 the instant variety.

Namelessking
03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
if Bob Chicerillo ate flavored instant oatmeal getting ready for the masters you will be fine

Le Derek
03-26-2007, 06:38 PM
eat oat bran...lower GI, more fiber, more protein, more filling...i always add a tbsp of flax meal for good measure

rockyk86
03-27-2007, 03:59 AM
thnx for your inputs, rily appreciate it