PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates and meat

PennState
03-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Ok i've heard it 1000 times, "stay away from cured meats, the nitrates and salt are bad for you" Now there are obvious reasons why you should stay away from over eating on salt. But what is the deal with the nitrates. To tell you the truth i don't even know what they are. How do they effect me? The only problem is that i have come across canadian bacon as a good breakfast meat. The macro profile looks ok. But it is cured, and i don't feel like giving myself a heart attack or cancer before i'm 30. So whats the deal with them, any scientific thoughts?

mjl0302
03-26-2007, 06:53 AM
i've only heard of the effects of nitrates on aquatic animals during an ecological study that i did in undergrad; however, i have seen some things on nitrites on the body. nitrites are used for curing meats because they give them the red color everyone looks for at the store. some research has show that during cooking nitrates can react with certain amino acids to produce carcinogens (nitrosamines). sorry i can't explain anymore. it has been a while since i had a class with this in it. try a search if you need more info

Forge3
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1915911&referrerid=314325

I'm a mod so I get to post OT :D