PDA

View Full Version : How much sugar for cutting?

eru
11-26-2003, 02:19 PM
As you can see in my sig., I am cutting.

What do you suggest is the most sugar I can have in one day?

These last few days my sugar intake has been around 45 grams/day.

I plan on cutting back though soon (using regular Oatmeal over the instant one with the brown sugar and maple and also using regular Total cereal over its brown sugar and oat variation).

These two cuts will lower my intake to about 23 grams of sugar a day (assuming I eat both of them for breakfast).

Zachary
11-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Depends on what sugar. You probably don't need to worry too much about lactose (dairy), though you don't want too much. Fructose should definitely be limited, but fruit is still good for you in moderation. Sucrose...well, obviously also in fruit, but try to eliminate any sources of pure sucrose. And glucose, well...we need not touch that.

Basically though, don't worry about counting sugar -- just eat healthy foods and never add sugar of any kind to anything. Total, by the way, is VERY high GI and has a lot of crap in it. I'd stick to just plain old oatmeal (splenda syrup if you need a sweetener).

eru
11-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Zachary
Depends on what sugar. You probably don't need to worry too much about lactose (dairy), though you don't want too much. Fructose should definitely be limited, but fruit is still good for you in moderation. Sucrose...well, obviously also in fruit, but try to eliminate any sources of pure sucrose. And glucose, well...we need not touch that.

Basically though, don't worry about counting sugar -- just eat healthy foods and never add sugar of any kind to anything. Total, by the way, is VERY high GI and has a lot of crap in it. I'd stick to just plain old oatmeal (splenda syrup if you need a sweetener).

Thanks for the information especially about Total.

I really like to have cereal in the morning. Can you recommend me any?

Is Shredded Wheat good?

Zachary
11-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by eru
Thanks for the information especially about Total.

I really like to have cereal in the morning. Can you recommend me any?

Is Shredded Wheat good?

Understandable -- that's something I had to give up when I started playing with carbs.

But, yes, you can. Though the GI has never been measured, Kashi cereals tend to be the best, I believe, as they have a lot of solid grains (like oats, brown rice, etc.) and generally low to no sugar. Kashi Good Friends is popular, as is straight-up Kashi. It's pretty tasty too, especially with Splenda.

Shredded Wheat is approximately where Cheerios is, and that's not good. It's about 71 GI, I think -- consider that oats are 49-55 and you realize that that is not good news. Your really want low-GI in the morning for sustained energy through the day.

eru
11-26-2003, 03:28 PM
How is this type of Kashi?

http://www.kashi.com/kasgolcer.html

Has 2 more grams of fiber.

Zachary
11-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by eru
How is this type of Kashi?

http://www.kashi.com/kasgolcer.html

Has 2 more grams of fiber.

Also sounds good to me. You mainly just want whole grains, high fiber, and low sugar, if you're going to eat cereal.

eru
11-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Zachary
Also sounds good to me. You mainly just want whole grains, high fiber, and low sugar, if you're going to eat cereal.

OK Thanks.