PDA

View Full Version : Protein shakes aren't for me...

struck
03-20-2007, 05:29 AM
So here, I consumed a 20g of this powder (Weider Daily Protein) pre-workout and 25gm 30 mins after workout. It's whey protein concentrate I think with milk and soy and a terrible sweet flavor of vanilla.

What happened was, I got stuffed up, and in few hours, I was vomiting and had the most strong abdominal cramps I have ever had. I really wanted to throw this piece of **** outta window. Now I am taking anti-biotics and pain-killers.. boo!!

Anyways, after trying out few random protein shakes, I am finally starting to realize these things aren't for me. They just don't suit me (even in small amount, they result in bloatedness and gas), and I would rather choose to go the natural way. I have been previously consuming lots of egg, but I would like to add some variation here.

Suggestions for some good quality protein sources (natural..) please? I just couldn't find Cottage cheese in this country and I can just get Cream cheese which has too many calories and less protein (like 16gm in 600cals I think).

I would like to know what do you all consume for your natural source of protein.

Jules Verne
03-20-2007, 05:42 AM
pre and post WO, yogurt and/or milk with some extra carbs. Might actually be better than whey protein by itself, or with carbs anyway.

If you are concerned they do not have enough protein, make sure your pre-WO meal has plenty (whole foods will be fine) and eat another whole food meal 60-90 minutes after the milk/yogurt.

You could also add BCAA or Leucine to the yogurt/milk instead of the whey shake.

Another option might be a good quality whey isolate rather than concentrate.

Or just go with lean meat + cabs. In this case I would personally add Leucine (cheaper) or BCAA for sure.

Vadim Beliaev
03-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Do you have lactose intolerance? (Can you tolerate milk products?) If no, thats your answer.
Stick to high quality lactose free whey isolates, not cheap concentrates and milk proteins.

tenthirtytwo
03-20-2007, 06:45 AM
I would like to know what do you all consume for your natural source of protein.

Ever hear of a thing called meat? :)

Alfz
03-20-2007, 06:50 AM
But eating half pound of chicken right after workout could be weird.

slgalberth
03-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Are you lactose intolerant maybe? I am but I still get sick even if there is no lactose because I also can't tolerate the protein in cow's milk. Im going to brown rice protein powder to see how it tastes I will let you know.

struck
03-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Do you have lactose intolerance? (Can you tolerate milk products?)

I can drink 3 glasses of milk / day without problem, however, anything above that causes me problem. So maybe that's the issue..

hehe, well, I guess I will have to order the expensive ones from the BB website coz I don't get them locally here.

Thanks for the replies guys, but currently I will have to go "natural" because product + shipping charges are just too high to afford yet.

Ever hear of a thing called meat?
hehe... sure I do consume good amount of chicken, but as someone else mentioned, it's a bit weird to eat chicken after a workout.

What do you guys think of protein from nuts (almonds, walnuts, and cashews)?

Vadim Beliaev
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM
That is the case then.
Protein from nuts isnt a good choice simply because its not a complete protein (lacking in some key essential aminos).

Jake57
03-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Did you try mixing your protein powder with water or some type of natural or organic fruit juice? Protein shakes can get very thick and milky. Sometimes I feel like they take forever for me to digest.