PDA

View Full Version : counting calories vs. eating smart

mjs21
03-19-2007, 08:50 AM
What do you guys think about the the two. By eating smart I mean just like making good food choices and not over eating. I've been counting calories for the past couple of months and I feel it really limits my life alot because I've always got to make sure my cals are counted and my food is measured and stuff. Then I see people that don't count anything and just eat smart and healthy and look perfectly fine. So what do you guys think and what do some of you do?

Alfz
03-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Actually counting calories are ok.. You do not have to be THAT intensive in counting tho.

Its like

Ok i know this cup of milk + oatmeals has 35g of carbs,13g of protein and 6g of fat.

Perhaps u eat that couple of times a day. YOu multiply.
You dont really need to COUNT...but erm.. do a slight calculation

dam what am i talking?!?

Hope u know what i mean

mjs21
03-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Actually counting calories are ok.. You do not have to be THAT intensive in counting tho.

Its like

Ok i know this cup of milk + oatmeals has 35g of carbs,13g of protein and 6g of fat.

Perhaps u eat that couple of times a day. YOu multiply.
You dont really need to COUNT...but erm.. do a slight calculation

dam what am i talking?!?

Hope u know what i mean

I kind of understand. But like I plan out my meals and stuff to hit my target calories and macro's. I find it to really hinder other activities in my life. That why I was saying like for example instead of doing it this way or aiming for a calorie total. Just when you go out or are looking for something to eat make smart food choices ect. Instead of being so percise all the time.

Alfz
03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Eat the food outside then.

Come back and substitude back.

Death From Above
03-19-2007, 09:30 AM
knowing is 100x better than counting, you learn over time to the point where you know within prolly 30 calories of what youre eating, makes it a lot easier to eat 400-500 calorie meals every few hours.

mjs21
03-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Im not talking about keeping track of calories or macro's at all or even trying to hit a goal. Just eating and making good food choices rather than COUNTING OR KEEPING TRACK of anything. I know people who do this who are not into the bodybuilding lifestyle or anything and are in great shape (this specific person is very active in running ect. but they eat smart and don't count cals)

Alfz
03-19-2007, 09:33 AM
boyscouT doesnt count calories. But look at him hes awesome now.

chaosad420
03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Counting calories is unnecessary for alot of people. It does, however, have the advantage of allowing you to really fine tune your diet for bulking or cutting.

Like the others have posted, its really not that much of a hinderence to keep track once you get to the point you have memorized the cals/macros of most bodybuilding foods. ****, i can usually look at a slab of boneless chicken and guess its weight almost perfectly.

Sixtoo
03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't count calories, just portions. I have my 5-6 meals a day and just make sure they're not too huge, not too skimpy. Works for me.

mjs21
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't count calories, just portions. I have my 5-6 meals a day and just make sure they're not too huge, not too skimpy. Works for me.

Maybe an example of your diet if you don't mind? Just to see how you set it up.

GP2001
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I think knowing what you should be taking in is the key part of it. Usually you can figure out a general idea of roughly the amount of calories that each of your meals has. Try to keep it close to what your daily amount is supposed to be. I dont count my calories, but focus more on eating smaller more sensible amounts of healthy food throughout the day. I have a good idea of the amount of calories in alot of my foods, but if I go to the deli and want to eat someting I don't go crazy trying to calculate the amount of calories in what im getting. I just order turkey on wheat bread with lettuce, tomato, little bit of cheese, and mustard, instead of what I used to get,( chicken cutlet on a hero, with bacon, extra cheddar cheese, tomatoe, and mayo. SO good, but so bad for you...) Also if you are eating the right amount of calories, you really need to make sure that those calories are coming from the right things. I think eating SMART is the most important aspect of dieting.

mrselfde_struct
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
good question, i think as an beginner you should count your calories and portion control as well as make good food choices. when you get to the point of being able to make the right choice's and known aprox how many calories or the size of the portion for a correct meal size.. if that makes sence.. \

ive been in control for all my eating now for years, but in the beginin i weight and portion everything, now my good old evil eye tells me how much im eating with out over doing it.

somethhing like that i could consider a skill and defo good to have.. i couldnt over eat if i wanted to.. i consider it a well trained eye LOL it knows when to stop putting food on the plate!

LOL