PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Eggs?

lebron23
11-06-2003, 07:06 PM
What kind of oil do you guys use to cook eggs?
What is the best oil for someone who is cutting?

DrnkMnky
11-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by lebron23
What kind of oil do you guys use to cook eggs?
What is the best oil for someone who is cutting?

I cook scrambled eggs every morning in the microwave w/ no oil. Takes 2 1/2 min.

ahhchon
11-06-2003, 08:02 PM
any spray oil is good, or at least better than other oils. microwave of course is the best.

john

lochick87
11-06-2003, 08:04 PM
I've never tried to cook eggs in the micro. Just mix the eggs up and put in a container and heat up? Is that right?

newlifter87
11-06-2003, 08:35 PM
I dont particularly like micro-eggs but they are nice on the go. You could use some no calorie pam spray to cook your eggs though.

stabmaster
11-06-2003, 10:30 PM
i think that coconut oil is the best oil. it's highest in MCT's and targets the liver for great energy. it does not break down under heat very easily either. do a whole lot of reading on new literature before you disagree with me. i follow the school of thought presented by dr. mercola (www.mercola.com) and the government conspiracy theories :)

eat fat thoughtfully and get thin.

jestros
11-07-2003, 07:50 AM
olive oil, thats the best oil there is. And it tastes good too.

Josh37
11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
I have heard that microwaving eggs alters the protein, making it useless.

Azzazzin
11-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Olive oil, adds to your daily fat intake, and very healthy...

If your really crazy though, grapeseed oil has even less saturated fat than olive oil, but it's really expensive... the taste is also alot lighter is you dont like taste of oils

Zachary
11-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Two points.

1. I doubt microwaving eggs kills the protein -- AFAIK, all the microwave does is resonate at the same frequency as the water molecules (or something like that), which causes them to move more rapidly and thus the net effect is heat. This is why microwaves only heat water, which can indirectly heat everything else. However, I can't be certain on this.

2. Remember to go easy on the PAM cooking spray -- it's NOT calorie-free. Yes, the serving is 0 calories, but that's a 1/3rd second spray. That's barely humanly possible -- I'd imagine most people spray much longer than that, and since foods can still have ~4 calories (think splenda) and still say 0, that can add up quick. Still, if you don't want added calories, it's a good way to handle things.

Canadian_AF
11-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Josh37
I have heard that microwaving eggs alters the protein, making it useless.

Microwaving eggs alters the protein.. What???

Lebron, you can cook your eggs in the microwave, or in a frying pan, whatever you choose bro.

I like the microwave for convience purposes, and I never used oil when cooking eggs, if your cooking on a stove, get a high quality non-stick pan, I guanantee you won't need to bother to use oil.

Cheers

solidus2k3
11-07-2003, 12:18 PM
scarmble mine is olive oil

newlifter87
11-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by solidus2k3
scarmble mine is olive oil To me eggs cooked in olive oil make it revolting, worse than it would be just plain.

stabmaster
11-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Pam with a good non-stick Teflon II coating works wonders.

Olive oil is not the best oil there is. In fact, the mono to saturated ratio is not nearly the most important thing to consider.

The longer chain fatty acids found in olive oil are more likely to contribute to the buildup of body fat than the short- and medium-chain fatty acids found in butter, coconut oil or palm kernel oil.

Saturated fat isn't nearly as bad for you as previously thought. In fact, it happens to be pretty damn good for you. Truth about Saturated Fats (http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm)

Canadian_AF
11-07-2003, 05:11 PM
The reason why our grandparents never experienced so many heart problems as predominant as today, and they ate, meat, potatoes, veggies, all kinds of gravy sauces, is because they didn't sit on their ass all day. Look at us now, they didn't have computers back in the day, My sister is 12, and all her and her friends do all day is sit down and talk on these things, not that I'm any better, but you get the point, and she is overweight, I was AMAZED, when I went to her grade 6 graduation at the overweight kids, I could not believe it, even when I was in grade 6, which was only 11 or 12 years ago, there wasn't even a twentieth of the amount of overweight kids.

Low-saturated fat diets, are recommended by physicians, for the simple reason that MOST people are not active, it's as simple as that.

I'll use my father as an example, He had triple-bypass surgery when he was 40 years old, he smoked his whole life and still does, and at the time, ate whatever he wanted to, and he didn't exercise. His mother, has had 2, yes 2, quadruple-bypass's, but she is not very active at all, obviously she is older now, but even when she was younger she wasn't.

In inactive individuals, saturated fats DO increase the risk of heart disease, strokes, heart attacks, etc...

The key to health is Exercise.

Cheers

stabmaster
11-07-2003, 06:30 PM
agreed. i'm speaking for the demograph on here -- who are hopefully hitting the gym as much as this board!

Canadian_AF
11-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Yeah we can only hope :)

Cheers