PDA

View Full Version : Purple Ketostix,not Low-Carbing

Lynne
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
I am not yet following a keto diet. I eat plenty of carbs because I'm doing so much cardio. Last night, I went for an hour run and decided to check my ketones. The ketostix indicated that I was producing ketones in the moderate range. Does that mean I was burning fat? If so, that theory about your body not being able to access fat if you ear carbs before cardio is baloney. Also, I was still producing ketones three hours later (small)!

Lynne

nathan101085
11-04-2003, 01:28 PM
im intersted in this

ZeroKool
11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
I would consult a doctor, unless you have been on keto within the past 36 hrs.

it could be early signs of diabetes.

R6Speed
11-04-2003, 05:04 PM
I am not on a keto diet but I have some ketostix and do test in the moderate range every now and then. I eat around 120 grams of carbs a day. Most of them are pre/post workout carbs though. I think you would start to produce ketones after an hour run unless you ate a pretty good amount of carbs before. For me I burn around 400cals in a 20min cardio session, thatís around a 2.5 mile run. I would think that after your body burnt up all the carbs it would have to turn to the fat.

But I am no expert, just thinking logically :).

as0l0
11-04-2003, 05:24 PM
how many carbs do you take per day? how many did you take the day before you showed purple. how many hours between your last carbs and your keto test? was there any training in between that time?

Lynne
11-05-2003, 08:59 AM
I probably had right around 60 carbs a half hour before I ran (a low-fat fruit on the bottom yogurt, a slice of wheat bread with turkey). Breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich with 2 T peanut butter, then a yuck Met RX Protein Plus bar (that was awful BTW) for a snack, maybe 55 carbs, total about 115 carbs. Also, I got pretty warm - I ran in a sweatshirt, forgot to wear a T-shirt underneath, so I could take off a layer.

bkman4
11-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Don't worry, we went over this awhile ago. Your body is always making ketones to some extent. The levels would be expected to be high after a long fat burning cardio session.

Lynne
11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Glad to know this is normal and that I was burning fat!!!

Lynne

tweeter37
11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Your body can go in ketosis with around 100 g of carbs a day. I was eating around 100g a day when I was dieting for a comp, and I was in ketosis. 100g of carbs a day is very very low IMO.

Lynne
11-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi Tweeter,

That wasn't my total for the day, only before I worked out. After working out I had a GNC Mega Isolate shake with a banana, then about two hours later I had dinner with carbs. I have to eat a lot of carbs or I don't have the energy to work out. In fact, the day I checked the ketostix I hadn't had as many carbs as usual - I had been on the run that day. One reason I had the yogurt and bread before working out - I was starving. Usually I'm not hungry except the days following strength training. I've found keto doesn't work for me with the cardio I'm doing. I need to cardio to shed the lard and keep risk factors at bay.

Lynne

musclemidget
11-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Lynne
I am not yet following a keto diet. I eat plenty of carbs because I'm doing so much cardio. Last night, I went for an hour run and decided to check my ketones. The ketostix indicated that I was producing ketones in the moderate range. Does that mean I was burning fat? If so, that theory about your body not being able to access fat if you ear carbs before cardio is baloney. Also, I was still producing ketones three hours later (small)!

Lynne

everybody produces ketones to a certain extent.