PDA

View Full Version : Artificial sweeteners killing us???

nubreed
10-22-2003, 10:19 AM
I've been reading a lot on artifical sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose, etc. and there has been a lot of research and even clinical trials that indicate that this stuff is terrible for health. Aspartame is in nearly every protein powder I've seen on the shelves as well as most diet drinks, etc, etc. Here's a listing of side-effects. Any thoughts?

seizures and convulsions
dizziness
tremors
migraines and severe headaches (Trigger or Cause From Chronic Intake)
memory loss (common toxicity effects)
slurring of speech
confusion
numbness or tingling of extremities
chronic fatigue
depression
insomnia
irritability
panic attacks (common aspartame toxicity reaction)
marked personality changes
phobias
rapid heart beat, tachycardia (another frequent reaction)
asthma
chest pains
hypertension (high blood pressure)
nausea or vomitting
diarrhea
abdominal pain
swallowing pain
itching
hives / urticaria
other allergic reactions
blood sugar control problems (e.g., hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia)
menstrual cramps and other menstraul problems or changes
impotency and sexual problems
food cravings
weight gain
hair loss / baldness or thinning of hair
burning urination & other urination problems
excessive thirst or excessive hunger
bloating, edema (fluid retention)
infection susceptibility
joint pain
brain cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals)
death

M@chin@
10-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Please show a few of these "clinical" trials or research reports.

Or have you been reading sites with "holistic", "natural", and "healing" in their names?

Nice list btw, it's every vague negative effect known to medical science.

CHECK YOUR SOURCES

The human mind and personality is not completely at the mercy of it's input, BUT when the person in question allows idiots to input "data" then that person risks becoming an idiot by contamination.

andruw251
10-22-2003, 10:39 AM
i cnat cite them, but i have read studies linking aspartame to memory loss and ahlztimers

M@chin@
10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
I doubt you've ever read an actual study. Maybe a summary, or an abstract, most likely a 1 page essay on a questionable site.

But actual clinical trial study documentation is so dry and esoteric that I'd be willing to bet you haven't.

(I saw a study on the internet) is rising fast to challenge (I know a guy who's cousin SAW it happen) as the most annoying "proof".

nubreed
10-22-2003, 10:56 AM
M@chin@---there's no need to be condescending. Look one up for yourself.

zall
10-22-2003, 10:58 AM
There is so much bull**** out there, which just makes me fume with rage. For everything there is there are 15 groups trying to ban it, discredit it, whatever,

Recently a friend showed me a site which showed that milk (yes milk) gives you cancer! not 'may' give you cancer, but GIVES YOU CANCER! F*cking left wing hippy vegans

Death by diet cola eh?

I have heard this before, I have even been told that if diet cola gets warm it starts to form Formaldahyde (yes the stuff they pickle bodies in) and this will give me cancer! I said yes I am sure drinking can after can of Formaldahyde would give me cancer, but I very much doubt that if my drink had Formaldahyde in it instead of Sweetner that I wouldn't notice a difference in taste!

Its bad news if thats true,
Thankfully I dont think it is,

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) which is just about the most popular sweetner out there,

Aspartame is not absorbed by the human body as far as I know, from white papers I have seen, if you injest Aspartame in a short time the same ammount of Aspartame will be excreted in your urine.

So from that, I doubt it causes any damage on its short and uneventfull trip through the human body.

Anyway everything causes cancer according to someone,

Someone once told me that 'life is a terminal condition' so what can we do?

derekmac
10-22-2003, 11:00 AM
The jury is still out on this subject. Some people use aspartame and other sweeteners with no issues, and others seem to have problems with them.

If you're going to assert that aspartame is deadly/toxic, etc., please back up your theory with scientific data, prefereably in the form of peer-reviewed scientific journals. Until then, it is speculation and conjecture.

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Who made an assertion...I just posted a concept.

M@chin@
10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Nubreed, no you didn't "just post a concept", you posted a tabloid headline. "Artificial sweetners killing us???"

Which tells the rest of us you're either desperate for attention, or you watch too much tv and read WAY too many VERY questionable checkout stand "newspapers".

derekmac
10-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by nubreed
Who made an assertion...I just posted a concept.

:rolleyes:

"Artificial sweeteners killing us" isn't an assertion?

Willy Beans
10-22-2003, 11:11 AM
LISTEN EVERYONE.

I have been taking artificial sweeteners every day now, for about the past 5 years of my life... let me tell you the horror that I have endured for the past year or so.. I have had side effects like crazy.

Every day, I would take a sweetener such as aspartame or something like that, an "artificial sweetener". If I wasn't getting it in my soft drinks, I would sprinkle it on my food or water. Now I have not only been having the side effects mentioned here, but I have gotten more.

The side effects from these "artificial sweeteners" have grossly changed my body. It started with my skin. It started changing drastically to the worse. Then, for the past 3 years, I have been shrinking steadily... it would stop when I did not take the artificial sweeteners, but I couldn't get off of them. I was hooked. Well, folks, it's a little too late. I have changed into a grossly disfigurement of a man.

As I am typing this, I have had a friend take a picture of me at the computer, just to show you the horror of sustained use of "artificial sweeteners". I hope you all take my advice regarding them:

My pic at the computer:

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Stop your whining and most importantly, please stop making assumptions. Here's some general info. The product emits radiation and has killed lab animals. There is little evidence to indicate it is harmful in humans but the tirals only concern a control group and a group that only uses the product moderately. I'm only concerned because I'm a heavy user and a lot of people I know use the product heavily.

http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/3_19.htm

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Now, take willy beans for example; he's a light hearted individual who's not here to berate anyone. I like willy beans. thanks for the comic relief. It's a good change from some of the caustic remarks I read all over these forums.

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:16 AM
"Artificial sweeteners killing us" isn't an assertion?

No my friend, it's interrogative.

derekmac
10-22-2003, 11:20 AM
1.The act of asserting.
2.Something declared or stated positively, often with no support or attempt at proof.

M@chin@
10-22-2003, 11:20 AM
A biochemical reaction that emits radiation?

What type? Visible spectrum? IR, UV? Gamma, alpha, or beta particles?

If it's Gamma, Alpha, or Beta particle radiation then MAN you've got a scientific find there.

And if you're worried, and have no real way to verify or placate this concern then there is a simple solution.

STOP USING IT

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Yeah it's visible spectrum. When we lost power during hurricain isabel i sprinkled it in the hallway so i wouldn't trip. Look, this thread is dead, save your keystrokes for something else.

DRACOMACHINE
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Aspartame is a low calorie sweetening ingredient. It is made from "two building blocks of protein" just like those found naturally in many everyday foods such as meat, fish, cheese, eggs and milk. Aspartame is digested by the body in exactly the same way as these other protein foods and so does not bring anything new to the diet.

roa
10-22-2003, 11:30 AM
sweetener emitting radiation? We should harness this and use it as a fuel source to power everything! People have been drinking diet soda sweetened by aspartame for 20 years. My parents started drinking artificially sweetened soda in 1983 when it was first introduced and they are still alive today. Of course, I should mention that they are both parakeets like Willy Beans and they can't remember anything, but we got past that. I think they were on aspartame when I was born too! I'm surprised I'm not glowing green from the radiation.

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:32 AM
power from nutrasweet is a great idea. i think i'll just pore some in my walkman.

nubreed
10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
in fact my balls glow too...i went to a rave last week. instead of waving around glowsticks i just wipped out my ballsack.

Lonny
10-22-2003, 11:44 AM
These anti-sweetner posts get really annoying after a while.

Once every 2 weeks, some idiot comes on and says he has proof that aspartame or sucralose, or stevia is killing us.

3/4 of the people that make these posts have no idea how they make aspartame.

Its a vicious cycle of ignorance.

Any study that shows side effects from the use of a sweetner, usually ingests the rat with HALF ITS BODY WEIGHT IN THAT SWEETNER!!

But hey, if you think that plain white sugar is healthier for you than aspartame, then by all means keep drinking it.

derekmac
10-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Well said :cool:

Deenur
10-22-2003, 12:08 PM
This is what people used to demonize before ephedra.

Aspartame is a combination of two amino acids- pheylalanine and aspartic acid. If you're going to belive the junk science about aspartame, you better quite taking amino acid complex.

exhortae
10-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Deenur
This is what people used to demonize before ephedra.

Aspartame is a combination of two amino acids- pheylalanine and aspartic acid. If you're going to belive the junk science about aspartame, you better quite taking amino acid complex.

actually there's a big differance when you injest them ALONE without the other AA. when injested alone AA are neuromediators that acts by sending signals in the brain. phenylalanine is know to reduce the amount of sugr in the blood;

aspartame caused me some nasty hypoglycemia, insomnia, diziness.

Some people are very sensitive to those artififial sweeteners, most people aren't. for the ones that are sensitive they should stay away from those sweeteners.

Deenur
10-22-2003, 09:01 PM
That's true..... some people, a very small percentage, are very sensitive to aspartame, and they should stay away.

Just as a few people are very sensitive to ephedra and should stay away. My problem is the amount of people who run wild with a single story screaming "BAN EPHEDRA, BAN ASPARTAME! IT'S RAT POISON!!!!!!!!!"

Like Steve Bechler's widow. I'm sorry she lost her husband, I'm sorry he was an idiot about training camp, but the 600 million she's suing for and ruining ephedra access for the rest of us isn't going to bring Bechler back.

Should people be careful, even with legal substances? Of course. Too much cottage cheese can kill you if you abuse it or are allergic to it.

Deen

zall
10-23-2003, 02:31 AM
By the way the people that had bad sides didn't happen to have Phenylketonuria did they?

exhortae
10-23-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by zall
By the way the people that had bad sides didn't happen to have Phenylketonuria did they?

nope