PDA

View Full Version : Loose stool problem

bAby norAA
03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
trying to get the kcals i need a day, eating only clean calories seems to make my stool very very soft. What can i eat to harden it up a bit? i tried to add more fiber in my diet, but it didnt seem to help much.

sorry for the question, but its really starting to bother me.

Bonebrake
03-11-2007, 08:21 PM
If you haven't been eating this way long, give your body a chance to adjust.

If you've been eating the same way for awhile (two weeks or longer) you need to find the right balance of fiber and water intake.

Depending on how much fiber you're consuming, you may need to increase it or decrease it slightly. Everyone is different and you need to figure out what works for you.

:D

bAby norAA
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
my water intake is good, (1.5-2 gallons a day)

if this is my problem, do i need more fiber or less? fiber confuses me a bit.

Bonebrake
03-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Fiber is confusing...

Too little and you're constipated (less than 10 grams per day).
15-25 grams per day is generally just right for your average joe.
25-50 grams per day can still be just right so long as you drink plenty of water (you would be ok consuming this much), however, if you don't drink enough water at this level you can become constipated.
50 grams+ and you can be constipated or even cause a blockage by forming a fecalith. Some people (especially 50 years and older) take the "more fiber" thing a little too far, don't drink enough water, and then get a blocked colon from a fecalith and end up under the knife to have it removed.

If you're consuming 1.5-2.0 gallons per day, you should probably increase your fiber intake to 25-50 grams per day.

:)

bAby norAA
03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
man that is confusing lol

so you think that maybe my problem? not enough fiber in my diet?

how bout a fiber pill? i found some in my cabinet called, fibercon, but after reading the back it looks like its used as a laxative(?) not sure.

...thank you for the replies!

Bonebrake
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
You could try the fiber pill, but eating more high fiber fruits and veggies and/or purchasing a high fiber cereal (Kashi GoLean Crunch! is awesome) would be a better option. Or you can try to cut back on the water to 1.0-1.5 gallons per day.

To put it in equation form:

Stool hardness = fiber intake / water intake

You have to find the right balance.

A lot of fiber is fine as long as your drink a lot of water.

Too much water and not enough fiber equals diarrhea.

Too much fiber and not enough water equals constipation.

Too little water and too little fiber puts you in limbo and it can go either way.

But all of this is relative to the individual and their diet.

:D

bAby norAA
03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
cool thanks, i'll try to add a high fiber cereal, thats a good idea.

i was under the impression that more water = better your stool is, hardness wise, but that was just a random guess