PDA

View Full Version : whats the diff between normal peanut butter and "natural" peanut butter???

Celty
03-11-2007, 02:23 PM
so what's the diff?

sorry if this has been covered, i tried a search and that function of this forum could use an improvement.

Dave P
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
The ingredients.

Natural doesnt have the hydrogenated oils and sugar added to it.

smkenne2
03-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Natty pb is higher in fat. But it is made with natural products so you are consuming good fats. Regular pb is full of hydrogenated oils and sugars that are really bad to eat when trying to get into shape.

leblanc
03-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah, the only thing that should be in natural peanut butter is peanuts.

JustiNtense
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Natty pb is higher in fat. But it is made with natural products so you are consuming good fats. Regular pb is full of hydrogenated oils and sugars that are really bad to eat when trying to get into shape.

exactly, and Natty pb, is just pure Peanut butter.

slaydox
03-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Not necesarily my natty peanut butter has the same amount of fat as regular peanut butter.

Btw Natural peanut butter means that all the ingriedents are NATURAL not meaning the only ingriedent is peanuts. Alot of natural peanut butter contains palm oil or flaxseed oil and also some contain evaporated cane juice (sugar) but its all natural.

smkenne2
03-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Alot of natural peanut butter contains palm oil or flaxseed oil and also some contain evaporated cane juice (sugar) but its all natural.

Really? I've only seen natty pb with 2-3 ingredients in it. None of them containg cane juice. Doesn't matter anyways. Still better than regular pb.

Celty
03-11-2007, 02:42 PM
so what's the best brand to pick up?

Dave P
03-11-2007, 02:49 PM
The one that sais "Ingredients: Peanuts"

and thats it.

slaydox
03-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Its up to you man, pretty much just get one that says natural on it. I love my skippys natural. I also like smartbalance which contains flaxseed oil and really good oil. Contains Omega3 fatty acid.

garbage cutters
03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
i like the ones with peanuts and salt in em

gives it a little bit better flavor

jGvasa
03-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I have some Smuckers Creamy Natural, however you have to refrigerate it, which I was kinda confused about. Refrigerating PB..odd?

Jayman6969
03-11-2007, 04:00 PM
i refrigerate mah peanut butter sometimes,

i couldnt live without natural skippys

garbage cutters
03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
well if the jar says "refrigerate after opening" i most likely will refrigerate it which hardens the texture of it a bit but since i just eat it off a spoon, its all good

NoNameNecessary
03-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Natty pb is higher in fat.

No, it isn't.

Example:

Skippy's Natural Peanut Butter (http://www.peanutbutter.com/natural.asp) - 17g fat
Skippy's Creamy Peanut Butter (http://www.peanutbutter.com/nutrition_creamy.html) - 17g fat

Rudyy
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Plus it tastes 10x better IMO.

NCK MIZ
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
To Jay and all those who use skippy natural peanut butter. I would stay away from it as much as possible. Although Palm oil is better for you than partially hydrogenated oils, it is only slightly better, and has been linked to heart disease and is high in saturated fats. Stick with the natural peanut butter, the ingredients should be peanuts, and possibly salt, that is true natural peanut butter. Companies are allowed to use the term "natural" if all ingredients are indeed natural (i.e. palm oil), that does not mean they are necessarily healthy for you.

The Director
03-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I checked out PB jars today, no jar had 0 grams of sugar, and all were "Natural" with ingredients listed "Peanuts" only. Why is that? the lowest I found was 1G of sugar every 32G (2 TBSP).

NCK MIZ
03-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Film if you look at peanuts, they naturally have sugar in them.

GiveMeAdvice
03-14-2007, 03:40 PM
So, when shopping, Ingredients should be PEANUTS. Period.

And....at the most a second ingredient - salt. Thats what I gather from this post.

It is a shame. One principle I learned. NEVER read the front of the package. That is all ADVERTISING. Read the back (or side). Another big scam is all those WHOLE GRAIN, 100% GRAIN.....etc.

slaydox
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Listen up guys. A company can NOT claim there product is natural unless all the ingreidents can be found in nature. Get what ever kind of natural PB you like, just make sure theres no hydronated oils. Getting one with palm oil or flaxseed oil makes natural PB BETTER for you.

swordsmanzenn
03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
natty pb is too expensive. for the same price i bought a HUUUGE tub of jiff :).

jdominic6
03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Getting one with palm oil or flaxseed oil makes natural PB BETTER for you.

i tend to stay away from the palm/palm kernel oil.... the only form of saturated fat that can stay liquid at room temp... gross.

karzma
03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
normal peanut butter has oils and sugar and some MSG added

natural peanut butter is just peanuts and some MSG added

http://eagle.westnet.gr/~aesclep/msgbasic.htm