PDA

View Full Version : Need jumpstart help for overcoming binges and junk food

Liljet
06-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Hi folks, I’m getting back into shape after being gone awhile. Gained 35 pounds due to stress-induced overdrinking, overeating, and lack of workouts.

I’m back on track with working out, in Week 5 of Modern Physique. Gaining my muscle and strength back, feels awesome! Stopped drinking (not easy), have started some meal tracking, food prep, etc. Overall my nutrition is good.

But I am *really* still struggling with late night binges, stress eating, and using junk food like a drug. In the past when I’ve been on my game, I managed it better.

But this time I’m having a super hard time with it.

Please recommend any articles, apps, vids, personal stories, etc that can help me overcome this. Thanks!

desslok
06-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Can you post what you normally eat in a day? Sometimes binges can be from overly restrictive diet, not enough fat etc. Sometimes stress eating can be helped with low calorie high volume food like air popped popcorn, celery sticks etc.

Liljet
06-10-2019, 05:09 AM
Can you post what you normally eat in a day? Sometimes binges can be from overly restrictive diet, not enough fat etc. Sometimes stress eating can be helped with low calorie high volume food like air popped popcorn, celery sticks etc.

Yes, I was trying to restrict to 1200 cals/day, ~ 20% carbs, rest split between fat/protein either 50/50 or more towards protein.

Regular day:
Breakfast:
Coffee with 1 cup 2% Fairlife milk
1 cup 2% cottage cheese with 1/2 cup blueberries

Lunch: Salad with mixed greens (1/2 spinach), tomatoes, broccoli, red peppers, chia seeds, olive oil/balsalmic, sometimes with 1 oz goat cheese on top
2 string cheese

Post Work-out (might be in lieu of lunch)
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein + 8oz 2% milk

Dinner:
8oz can of albacore tuna fish in water
3 tablespoons of Miracle Whip Light

Bedtime snack:
2-3 string cheeses

Then when trying to go to sleep, cravings hit strong, then I go to kitchen and binging starts. Definitely lean towards sugar. It's like a drug. I start and can't stop.

There are lots of other issues I don't want to bore you with, but I did want to answer your question.

I did read about spinach extract helping. I'm going to try creating a spinach containing shake to eat in the evening. Also I am already meditating to deal with stress, trying to use music, get enough sleep, etc.

Also I'm going to increase my daily calories to 1400cals/day to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions??

Heisman2
06-10-2019, 05:37 AM
I would not eat 8 ounces of albacore tuna daily. That is a ton of mercury and will quite possibly screw you over long term. I'd cut that out completely. Do chunk light tuna if you need tuna. Although more expensive, salmon/tilapia would be safer from a mercury perspective.

Tucane
06-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Sounds to me like you crave the things you are trying to restrict; calories and carbs, so you binge on sugar to get both as fast as possible... sorry for being obvious.

For the solution; moderation in terms of macros and calories, keep your deficit small and include more stuff you enjoy in your diet.

You gave a slight mention of other (boring) issues... I suspect there might be something hidden that is relevant to your diet regime?