PDA

View Full Version : Misc libs, name policies/realities in place that keep poor people poor?

Adam16121
02-08-2019, 12:43 PM
How does a person from a family without wealth not have the ability/have a far lesser ability to attain wealth? Statistics welcome. Srs answers pls

jlick
02-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Not the answer you are looking for, but there is a direct correlation between raising minimum wage and the unemployement rate for black people going up. The basic concept is that when employers have to pay more wages, they aren't going to take a chance on someone without job experience.

Source:
Dr. Thomas Sowell's book Civil Rights: Rhetoric or Reality

Another interesting tidbit is with regards to affirmative action. Affirmative action really only helps the already well-to-do black people while the ones who are truly suffering, like single black mothers, get left behind because lets be real, who is the college going to take; a black person with high SAT scores (probably because his parents could afford tutoring and what not) or the poor struggling black person with low SAT scores.

Adam16121
02-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Not the answer you are looking for, but there is a direct correlation between raising minimum wage and the unemployement rate for black people going up. The basic concept is that when employers have to pay more wages, they aren't going to take a chance on someone without job experience.

Source:
Dr. Thomas Sowell's book Civil Rights: Rhetoric or Reality

Another interesting tidbit is with regards to affirmative action. Affirmative action really only helps the already well-to-do black people while the ones who are truly suffering, like single black mothers, get left behind because lets be real, who is the college going to take; a black person with high SAT scores (probably because his parents could afford tutoring and what not) or the poor struggling black person with low SAT scores.

All answers are welcome . Repped

sandaltan
02-08-2019, 01:11 PM
tuition is expensive

therefore education is a privilege of the wealthy

brb gotta be wealthy to become a dr, or take out 300k in loans

brb irony

cashinout
02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
tuition is expensive

brb irony

what about all the non-wealthy people that do take out loans and become....doctors.....?

sandaltan
02-08-2019, 01:23 PM
what about all the non-wealthy people that do take out loans and become....doctors.....?

whats the difference between paying for something and taking out a loan for it? nothing. you still gotta pay the loan, bro. its not free money. the only difference is...

the loan is more expensive

cashinout
02-08-2019, 01:24 PM
whats the difference between paying for something and taking out a loan for it?

the loan is more expensive

you implied that poor people don't have access to these loans, when they very much do (to a fault, considering the student loan bubble) therefore there is no lack of opportunity

there is, however, a very big lack of work ethic and ambition

sandaltan
02-08-2019, 01:29 PM
you implied that poor people don't have access to these loans, when they very much do (to a fault, considering the student loan bubble) therefore there is no lack of opportunity

there is, however, a very big lack of work ethic and ambition

disagree. many people dont wanna be saddled with 300k in debt to become a professional. its absolutely a barrier. youre acting like the 300k loan debt doesnt exist, and that they dont have to pay it off with interest.

cashinout
02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
disagree. many people dont wanna be saddled with 300k in debt to become a professional. its absolutely a barrier. youre acting like the 300k loan debt doesnt exist, and that they dont have to pay it off with interest.

then they can step aside and let the people who do want to do that through and their families can continue to stay poor for future generations

BearyManilowe
02-08-2019, 01:33 PM

They avoid debt so much that they'd rather stay below the poverty line? I don't quite understand the tale your spinning here nor how it pertains to a system holding poor people below the poverty line.

You would have had a better angle had you mentioned inner city public school performance versus suburban public school performance. Albeit that's not necessarily due to policy but it is a problem.

sandaltan
02-08-2019, 01:34 PM
They avoid debt so much that they'd rather stay below the poverty line? I don't quite understand the tale your spinning here nor how it pertains to a system holding poor people below the poverty line.

You would have had a better angle had you mentioned inner city public school performance versus suburban public school performance. Albeit that's not necessarily due to policy but it is a problem.

what does that even mean

sandaltan
02-08-2019, 01:35 PM
then they can step aside and let the people who do want to do that through and their families can continue to stay poor for future generations

you mean incur a bunch of debt? that sir is my point

cashinout
02-08-2019, 01:37 PM
you mean incur a bunch of debt? that sir is my point

aren't you an estate lawyer? do you not know the differences between good and bad debt?

SmillironS
02-08-2019, 01:38 PM

You’re a piece of chit for making excuses for people who don’t ask you to. It’s hard enough to get out of poverty without people like you telling poor people to not bother trying to become a doctor. Source: I grew up poor af in the poorest place in the nation and went on to gets a masters degree, set to graduate law school in May, 6 small businesses and a ~16,000 acre working cattle ranch all started by walking into a bank and asking for a loan at 16 years old and having the work ethic to bust my ass to pay back what I borrowed. I don’t ever neg people but you’re pushing it by literally slowing the advancement of society.

Adam16121
02-08-2019, 01:39 PM
I’ll throw in that working through school to pay for necessities can take a toll on your grades. It’s certainly harder to get into medical school while working long hours through college. Also, 300k from your dad to be repaid in full is quite different from 300k in bank loans. You end up paying back far more, even if you pay loans aggressively. That said, the opportunity is there. You just have to work much harder. And many people do just this.

WestAfrica
02-08-2019, 01:41 PM
You’re a piece of chit for making excuses for people who don’t ask you to. It’s hard enough to get out of poverty without people like you telling poor people to not bother trying to become a doctor. Source: I grew up poor af in the poorest place in the nation and went on to gets a masters degree, set to graduate law school in May, 6 small businesses and a ~16,000 acre working cattle ranch all started by walking into a bank and asking for a loan at 16 years old and having the work ethic to bust my ass to pay back what I borrowed. I don’t ever neg people but you’re pushing it by literally slowing the advancement of society.

Grats! I’m gradutating end of this yr.

goody1
02-08-2019, 01:42 PM

So instead of being “saddled” with $300K of debt that they will be able to eventually pay off they choose to be perpetually poor?

cashinout
02-08-2019, 01:43 PM
I’ll throw in that working through school to pay for necessities can take a toll on your grades. It’s certainly harder to get into medical school while working long hours through college. Also, 300k from your dad to be repaid in full is quite different from 300k in bank loans. You end up paying back far more, even if you pay loans aggressively. That said, the opportunity is there. You just have to work much harder. And many people do just this.

I assumed this thread was about getting your family out of poverty and into the middle class and staying there

if you take a loan of 300k and become a doctor, your kids and their kids will no longer be poor (granted, some might)

if you're just talking about individually leaving poverty then you can do that even more easily by getting a job LOL

TaeBoNinja
tuition is expensive

brb irony
Education would be the correct answer.......but you picked college tuition, instead of the mass mismanagement of teacher union and big city politicians from K-12. That's the real issue. Anyone who's dealt with public vs private school, know the massive difference.

BearyManilowe
tuition is expensive

brb irony

what does that even mean

You tell me. You're spinning a fable that people would rather stay in poverty than take a chance at pulling themselves out because "debt". That's not a policy nor is it a reality, thats you speaking for people. There are multiple avenues for people to obtain education and defer payment to get on their feet and make something of themselves.

BearyManilowe
02-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Education would be the correct answer.......but you picked college tuition, instead of the mass mismanagement of teacher union and big city politicians from K-12. That's the real issue. Anyone who's dealt with public vs private school, know the massive difference.

Basically this is much more relevant than college tuition

A-GAME
02-08-2019, 01:47 PM
tuition is expensive

brb irony

You don't have to have a university education to become wealthy. You can work your way up in any given organisation or you can start your own business and expand beyond most peoples imagination, regardless of the industry. And besides, anyone with an internet connection and enough motivation can educate themselves better than any idiotic college professor can educate them. All it takes is the will.

My father was is a good example of economic mobility. He came to Australia when he was 18 with $20 in his pocket, yet he ended up with two university degrees, one of which was a law degree. He got up 5am every day to work in fruit markets and factories whilst doing a law degree and raising two young children. People like you just like making excuses because you are lazy and stupid.