PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting enough protein?

JjTheFlipper
12-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Hey guys I’m currently 16 years old and I weigh around 58kg so that’s 127 pounds. According to a calculator on this site I should be getting 1 gram of protein per pound but I calculated my intake and it seems to be around 65-70 grams which is basically half the recommended. Would this stunt muscle growth or cause injuries?

Thanks.

Vandeman17
12-18-2018, 02:45 PM
the normal rule of thumb is to eat at least .7 grams of protein per lb of body weight so that is around 90 grams. At your age, its tough but I for sure would try to eat some more protein which is easy. Add a shake, some mixed nuts, yogurt etc and you can hit your minimum pretty quickly

JjTheFlipper
12-20-2018, 06:09 AM
the normal rule of thumb is to eat at least .7 grams of protein per lb of body weight so that is around 90 grams. At your age, its tough but I for sure would try to eat some more protein which is easy. Add a shake, some mixed nuts, yogurt etc and you can hit your minimum pretty quickly

Thanks for the reply but I’m wondering how does my current intake affect me?

Emirrrr
12-25-2018, 03:29 PM
You don't need supermuch to grow, but the general rule of thumb varies from .7 to 1.2g of protein per lbs.

Getting too little protein will definitely mean no gains muscle and strength wise, potentially even muscle/strength loss. In addition to that, general poor health and frequent illness.

My question to you is, why/how can you undereat protein?

A few scoops of whey or a different protein and you're good to go. i.e. I get 100g of protein in my dinner alone by eating 400g chicken breast and veggies, then another 50g by eating yoghurt/dairy (+throw a scoop of whey in for flavour and protein).