PDA

View Full Version : Too much calcium?

Alfz
03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Im currently drinking some crap milk my mom's drinking...(powder)

Per serving
12g carbs
8g protein
0.5g fats

Good?

With dreaded trans fats 0.05g per serving... Cos this milk is some omega 3 **** and it says contains whatever to lower cholesterol blah blah blah..probably trans fats from omega 3.

Now the problem.. Thers like 500mg of calcium in EACH serving. I drink like 1.5litres of milk per day..thats like 3g of calcium a day. Not to mention together with some other food i take that contains calcium... Is that TOO much?

Environ
03-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Why are you bitching about the milk? Trans fats are fats that have been hydrogenated, so Omega 3 fats are not trans fats (they could be if someone hydrongenated them).

You need a between 800 and 1,200 mg of calcium per day for good health. That's the RDA.

However, the RDA is a load of rubbish. It's was greated in 1943 when the US government realised that there would be millions of starving people to feed at the end of WW11 and needed to know what was the bare minimum people needed to survive.

Athletes and people who exercise regularly, should use the PDI system rather than the RDA. The PDI of calcium is between 1,200 and 2,600 mg Ca/day. The Estimated Safe Range of Intake is between 1,200 and 4,000 mg Ca/day, depending on the individual's size and activity level.

One thing to note: if you DO take more calcium than you need, you may interfere with the body's uptake of other minerals, such as magnesium.

zhixiong
03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Hey, interesting theory on the RDA in the past. Rep up for you. :D

Alfz
03-09-2007, 06:10 AM
So it sprobably safe?

Environ
03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
So it sprobably safe?

Yeah. Make sure you're drinking loads of water though.

Vadim Beliaev
03-10-2007, 01:46 AM
When the body detects that you are taking in too much calcium, it will inhibit its absorption from the digestive tract, as an added safety measure. So dont worry about it.