PDA

View Full Version : Who relies on creatine?

Clive Jones
10-10-2003, 05:43 AM
I was curious...I see so many people who are so called "natural" at the gym I go to and everyone I speak to gets bigger and stronger at a lot faster rate than me..Ive been lifting seriously for 3 years and an ex roommate at school here is like 150 lbs. and has bigger chest and arms than me, real low bf% too, he has a chiseled 6 pack..( Im 178 right now..193 last winter..trying for 200lbs this winter) and he has been taking creatine for sometime now..ive never used it, but was thinking I need to start soon because in my nutrition class, it is said to be an extreme help for performance and so forth, obviously. it is one of the supplements that actually works...so my question is..if he stopped taking it, seeing as how creatine is basically all water, wouldnt he shrink down and lose alot of strength?
How many of you have been using creatine for awhile and notice a real difference in overall size?

thanks alot.

GentlemanE
10-10-2003, 06:07 AM
I've cycled creatine several times.

When I used only creatine for a supplement, which was the first time I took it, I noticed more of an effect. This was also the time I lifted lighter for more reps. It seemed to add 10 to 20% to the number of reps I could do. It seemed to be more of an endurance gain than a strength gain. Weight gain was about 5 to 7 pounds which went away after I stopped taking it. Endurance decreased. I didn't like my non-creatine workouts but I was getting nauseous from the creatine so I couldn't take it again (probably due to poor diet and lack of water--I was younger and dumber). The end result was I couldn't stand my "inferior" workouts any more, and I quit working out entirely for about a year.

More recently, with my diet in line and consuming at least a gallon of water every day, and a new brand of creatine, the nausea went away. I gained about 3 or 4 pounds in the first week--water I assumed. After a week on creatine, I started an Animal Stak cycle. I quit the creatine a few days before the 3-week cycle of the Animal Stak ended. 10 days after being off both the Stak and creatine, I've actually gained another 2 pounds and have maintained a fairly low body fat. This time around I noticed no loss of weight after going off the creatine.

Strength gains during the 4 weeks were fantastic, and have the gains continued even after going off both supplements. I lift much heavier now than I did with the first cycle of creatine, which could be why I've noticed no endurance loss since going off the creatine.

I'm inclined to think that the creatine was almost a non-factor this time around. I'm even questioning the effectiveness of the Animal Stak, as the gains have continued as if I never stopped taking either one.

At the moment, I'm giving most of the credit to diet, and working out smarter.

Creatine won't make you big. At best, it will let you get slightly better workouts, and give you a temporary "size" increase due to water retention. It may also help slightly in the healing process. The slightly better workouts won't do anything for you though if your diet isn't geared up to allow you to grow as a result of the workouts.

My opinion on creatine at this moment is that it is probably not worth the trouble or the side effects, as minor as they may be. I've started a 1-test/4AD cycle, and I most likely won't be including creatine.

Most importantly, as you will read 1000 times here, diet is the key.

bgzee
10-10-2003, 06:20 AM
Creatine doesn't make you big. Creatine helps you work out harder and helps your muscles heal.

raybravo
10-10-2003, 07:31 AM
creatine , definitely works :) , maybe u should also look into some newer types of creatine delievery systems ...

scott_donald
10-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by raybravo
creatine , definitely works :) , maybe u should also look into some newer types of creatine delievery systems ...

bump... but i do not rely on it...

bgzee
10-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Buy some micronized creatine. Mix it with some grape juice. theres your delivery system, and a lot of money saved.

Stay Puft
10-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by bgzee
Buy some micronized creatine. Mix it with some grape juice. theres your delivery system, and a lot of money saved.
He was refering to Tri-Creatine Malate ie) NOZ/V-12/Swole V2.
Please dont say that micronized creatine is better because I have yet to hear anyone who doesnt favour the above products to Creatine Mono/MIcronized etc etc.

Clive Jones
10-10-2003, 10:49 AM
thanks alot..i understand what creatine is..to be specific here.. it increases the natural creatine phosphate in the body, ATP <--> ADP+P which is the mechanism. It works the best in people with low amounts of natural creatine, such as skinny people..more muscular people will not get such as good effect using it that is why over time you did not see good gains..but anyways you do not get any endurance from creatine, just the increase in strength...which leads me to believe that everyone says you will not get bigger unless your getting stronger..therefore if creatine increases strength, more muscle mass will come over time...for the time being, you will retain more water, but i was planning on getting some problab creatine soon, and seeing how it goes.

bananapunk
10-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I take Phospagen XT for post workout and drink a protein shake 15-30 minutes after.

GentlemanE
10-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by MakinItBIG
but anyways you do not get any endurance from creatine, just the increase in strength

From my personal experience, I've never experience an increase in strength directly from the creatine. If I was maxing at 100lbs pre-creatine, I was still maxing it while taking it. It didn't suddenly make me stronger.

However, if I was doing 7 reps of 50, the creatine allowed me to do 9 or 10. So in my experience it boosted short-term endurance (Because my body had more ATP). Doing more reps could lead to more strength down the line, but those gains in strength are more a result of the improved workout, rather than a direct result of the creatine.

I wouldn't expect your max lifts to immediately go up 10 pounds solely from taking creatine.

Clive Jones
10-10-2003, 02:05 PM
I did not mean that your strength is going to go through the roof..it increases "performance" or you can call it strength in bodybuilding..its a proven fact that creatine does so. No it wont give you that extra 10-20 in your bench..but overtime while taking creatine, you will achieve better overall strength and performance in whatever sport or activity one does.

my original question was just, do people notice a big difference while taking, when they first started?

Tamacracker
10-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I tried creatine, well back when I was 15 years old... didn't train hard or anythin while on it cuz I was only trainin in high school for football. Though I member that my work outs seemed like I was a jit on roids... Only cuz I was pushin weight easier than the rest of my buddies. Mainly gained good strength but water weight, felt and looked bloated. But now Im goin to try creaject.. Well as a lipo/oral understand it's quiet potent! As soon as I recieve the bottle Ill plan my cycle and do before and after stats. Yet I'm not a creatine fan, but I'll give it one last chance... Im mainly a lean muscle builder... I like to see my gains with cuts as the main objective!

-Dan