PDA

View Full Version : Protein food supplements- health or taste?

JimmyMacG
10-19-2018, 05:41 AM
Hi all. Just been pondering the balance between taste and health when it comes to protein snacks.

I'm mainly wondering about this: when selecting protein brownies/cookies/muffins etc, would you rather have tasty supplements that are potentially quite high in sugar and thus aren't particularly healthy, or would you prefer something that focuses very much on being healthy, even if it's at the expense of tastiness?

I realise the perfect outcome is to find something that is both healthy AND delicious, but in my experience I find that brands that claim to be healthy are usually not very pleasant tasting, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks for taking the time to entertain my boring musings. If you have any other thoughts then please do share.

SuffolkPunch
10-19-2018, 06:21 AM
The problem with your question is that you are assuming that making it tasty is making it less healthy. But I don't think that "healthy" is a term which should be applied to any single food item. There are healthy or unhealthy people - and their diet as a whole might contribute towards that health status. However, that does not imply that a single food item will make their health incrementally worse, it doesn't work like that.

Take sugar for example. It's possible to add a sugary food to your diet each day and be just as healthy as you were before. However, if you are obese with diabetes then the same sugary item might make your health slightly worse. If you were starving on a desert island however, it would make your health a lot better...

Dose matters... you need salt and water - but too much of either will harm your health. Same with fats and sugar. You need fats; technically you don't need sugars but they can help with athletic performance. Too much of either and you get fatter - and it's the getting fatter that is unhealthy (beyond a point) not the food itself.

JimmyMacG
10-19-2018, 06:42 AM
I respectfully disagree with that standpoint. Of course context matters and there are numerous variables that contribute to a healthy person, but I think it's fair to say that something like a dominoes pizza is objectively unhealthy regardless of the individual eating it. Likewise, you'd be hard-pressed to argue that broc**** is unhealthy, even though obviously you'd need other foods to form a balanced diet in addition to broc****.

Essentially, my question is this: You're in a supermarket and see two protein brownies. One is delicious (don't ask how you know, it just is) but contains 20g of sugar. The other has no sugar and is all natural, 'healthy' ingredients, but isn't all that enjoyable taste-wise. On an average day, which do you pick?

The problem with your question is that you are assuming that making it tasty is making it less healthy. But I don't think that "healthy" is a term which should be applied to any single food item. There are healthy or unhealthy people - and their diet as a whole might contribute towards that health status. However, that does not imply that a single food item will make their health incrementally worse, it doesn't work like that.

Take sugar for example. It's possible to add a sugary food to your diet each day and be just as healthy as you were before. However, if you are obese with diabetes then the same sugary item might make your health slightly worse. If you were starving on a desert island however, it would make your health a lot better...

Dose matters... you need salt and water - but too much of either will harm your health. Same with fats and sugar. You need fats; technically you don't need sugars but they can help with athletic performance. Too much of either and you get fatter - and it's the getting fatter that is unhealthy (beyond a point) not the food itself.

chamelious
10-19-2018, 06:46 AM
but I think it's fair to say that something like a dominoes pizza is objectively unhealthy regardless of the individual eating it.

Regardless of how respectful you are, you are completely wrong. This statement is utter, utter nonsense.

And if you disagree, remember you are making an extraordinary claim, and the burden of proof falls to you. I challenge you to present a single scrap of evidence that a single dominoes pizza has any measurable negative effect on an individuals health.

JimmyMacG
10-19-2018, 07:50 AM
I really don't think I am, and I never said that a single pizza would be detrimental to one's health because I don't believe it would be. By your logic, you could argue that cigarettes aren't bad for you because a single cigarette wouldn't be harmful to your health. But obviously they are unhealthy, you'd simply be fine in spite of it because an otherwise healthy lifestyle would outweigh any negatives brought about by the cigarette.

If you fancy answering the actual question then that would be nice.

Ghawk21
10-19-2018, 07:55 AM
I would go with the one that tastes good. Sugar isn't the devil and I can fit damn near anything into my daily macros, why opt for something that tastes like ****.

rhadam
10-19-2018, 07:56 AM
I really don't think I am, and I never said that a single pizza would be detrimental to one's health because I don't believe it would be. By your logic, you could argue that cigarettes aren't bad for you because a single cigarette wouldn't be harmful to your health. But obviously they are unhealthy, you'd simply be fine in spite of it because an otherwise healthy lifestyle would outweigh any negatives brought about by the cigarette.

If you fancy answering the actual question then that would be nice.

But your supposition is wrong.

JimmyMacG
10-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Fair point, thanks!

I would go with the one that tastes good. Sugar isn't the devil and I can fit damn near anything into my daily macros, why opt for something that tastes like ****.

gbullock32
10-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Real brownie with a glass of milk; taste and protein.