PDA

View Full Version : Does Micronutrient timing matter?

anothergymer1
08-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Or are there any benefits to spreading them out the day? Because i like to eat most, if not all my veggies in one sitting

Nanashi
08-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Or are there any benefits to spreading them out the day? Because i like to eat most, if not all my veggies in one sitting

Alan Argon and the evidence based bodybuilding co. seem to say not really all that important. The diet principles of diet seem to be track your macros. Meal Frequency, timing aren't that important. Make sure you have four serving of 20grams protein a day, but they don't have to be whole meals (protein bar, a protein shake and a post work out and a large meal are fine if you are hitting macros).

desslok
08-17-2018, 08:35 PM
Well its goimg to depend on oil based vs. water based etc. In other words, like with most things, it depends.

LactoseTolerant
08-18-2018, 12:53 AM
Other than some studies on toxicity, I don't know that it's really been explored.

Mrpb
08-18-2018, 01:11 AM

Doesn't matter.

Heisman2
08-18-2018, 02:16 AM
This is a potentially interesting question. As examples, too much magnesium at once can cause an osmotic diarrhea; this may decrease absorption I think. Eating iron with a large meal can decrease absorption as iron is more absorbed with a more acidic environment. Eating calcium and phosphorus together may decrease absorption as they bind together. Fiber can bind some minerals and decrease absorption.

Whether any of this is practically important for someone who is otherwise healthy and not deficient in anything I am doubtful. I will look into this more today.

Spanishdream
08-18-2018, 04:37 AM
I think something overlooked in these threads is how you personally feel about it. How does your schedule fit in to your routine? Would it benefit you to eat several times a day vs once or twice?

As far as I'm aware, meal timing is completely irrelevant & the overall importance is calories in vs calories on a daily basis. I believe this is different to those who ride bicycles but I'm 100% sure on that so don't hold me to it. Someone with more experience in that department can offer their input.

Personally I find working out fasted helps me concentrate & avoid any sickly feelings (especially when hitting legs). Others however cannot work out fasted. I always have larger evening meals as it helps me sleep & wind down for the day. I don't under any circumstance believe this is any better or worse than having more meals spaced out daily. I typically have a shake after my workout just out of habit as well.

All in all, there doesn't seem to be any evidence in timing your food intake will benefit you. It's just personal preference.

Mrpb
08-18-2018, 06:45 AM
I think something overlooked in these threads is how you personally feel about it. How does your schedule fit in to your routine? Would it benefit you to eat several times a day vs once or twice?

He's only asking about his veggies. It's fine to eat them in one meal.

As far as I'm aware, meal timing is completely irrelevant

For individuals striving for maximum results it's better to have at least 4 sufficient protein servings spread over the day.

Tommy W.
08-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Or are there any benefits to spreading them out the day? Because i like to eat most, if not all my veggies in one sittingThe veggies don't matter much. A lot depends on how you like to feel when training. Fed? Empty stomach? That alone will dictate overall meal timing. Always best to try to spread protein out if possible though for best MPS

bigdogfarmhand
08-18-2018, 11:23 AM
I believe it really only matters what you combine when you do eat.

Creating the perfect protein and amino acid combo and picking high index foods is my only concern.

I like getting the most energy out of my food

Heisman2
08-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Looking into it more it probably is better to spread out micros from an absorption standpoint but I still believe for someone in good health this won't make a significant impact.

anothergymer1
08-19-2018, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys

Nedo
08-20-2018, 10:07 AM
One would think you would probably consume more if you spread it out and have some at each meal. I know I certainly don't jump for joy when I need to consume veggies so its easier to take it all in when I spread it out.