PDA

View Full Version : Fat loss or muscle gain

MrA01
08-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Hi! So, I'm actually in a dilemma as to what would be good for me.
Being on a calorie deficit, is HIIT best for fat loss or low intensity(like 30 min slow run/walk). My fat% is 23 and LBM is 54 kg.
I weigh 68kgs and my somatotype is ecto.
My metabolism is quiet low due to a severe muscle loss in my body.

xsquid99
08-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Age? Height?

There is no "best" tool for fat loss. Fat loss is achieved with a caloric deficit, you would achieve the same results by eating 200 calories less as you could by running off those 200 calories.

Why do you think you have "severe muscle loss"?

Somatotypes do not have any bearing on fat loss. They were developed by some quack psychologist decades ago in an attempt to classify people based on body shape.

Post a photo for better advice.

lythy89
08-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Hi! So, I'm actually in a dilemma as to what would be good for me.
Being on a calorie deficit, is HIIT best for fat loss or low intensity(like 30 min slow run/walk). My fat% is 23 and LBM is 54 kg.
I weigh 68kgs and my somatotype is ecto.
My metabolism is quiet low due to a severe muscle loss in my body.

Hey dude welcome to the forum. To be honest my advice would be to focus on weight lifting. If you work your muscles you will burn more calories and raise your metabolic rate over time (The more muscle you have the more calories you require) also Weight lifting will help you create a deficit in the process. If you want a marathon runners body then smash the cardio and leave the weights but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Might actually be beneficial for you to increase your calories a bit and start lifting, you can always reduce the cals once you've built a bit of muscle.

In terms to your original question it's whatever works best for you...Just create a deficit and accept the fact it's a long term goal, short cuts don't get you anywhere. I was 101kg 5 years ago and I went up and down in weight trying different methods and listening to bull****. Calorie deficit - Lift weights and be CONSISTENT. The rest will come. I'm currently 81kg and I'm far stronger and faster than i was at 101kg trust me. It'll come bro keep trying.

RedRusty
08-15-2018, 02:00 PM
Most people who think they're doing HIIT aren't really doing HIIT, they're just doing interval training. For those doing true HIIT training, it is usually once a week, no more than 10 min or so, because you are doing intervals at 90% of your max effort, usually for no longer than 20 sec at a time.

That being said, as mentioned, there isn't a "better" method. Fat loss = calorie deficit. Cardio just increases the deficit and promotes cardiovascular health.