PDA

View Full Version : Gaining on cut

enomismile
07-30-2018, 11:13 PM
Hello all,
Before going into details, here is a little bit of background:
One month and a half ago I started a new job and since then I generally move less. Before that I was used to walk 7-8 km a day and light train two times a week. I was used to walk in 2 or 3 times (going to and coming from work plus lunch break), now I drive and everything has changed. Being summer, I stopped training and started doing cardio (running), this is pretty common for me, I have never been a person who trains for big gains, rather the person that wants to keep some kind of shape. Running helps me feeling better since I move less and it makes me happy during the good season.

I am 31 years old guy. 180 cm, 64 kg.

Since I started the new job I have cut my calories intake to 1600 Kcal a day , while running a 5k every day after work from Monday to Friday.
This is the usual breakdown: (I cook myself)
6am wake up
8am breakfast 400 kcal
1:30 pm lunch 500 kcal
7pm 5k run
8pm dinner 600 kcal

I don't eat processed food, mainly fruits, vegetables, wholegrain cereals, fish, some lean meat for lunch, yogurt.
On weekends I don't run, I usually skip breakfast because I wake up late and I drink a beer or two on two nights max (so max 4 beers, but this is very rare, a usual number is 2 in total).

A computation of the usual macros (per day) that I did is the following: 57 gr of fats, 133 gr of proteins, 140 grams of carbs. These are spread over the three meals.

As you can see I left 100 kcal aside and the reason is that I eat a fruit (like a peach or a healthy bar or a low fat yogurt pot) during the day if I am hungry or eventually before the run.

My fat % is around 18%, and thus I computed my (Katch-McArdle) BMR: 370 + 21.6 * (64*0.82) = 1500 kcal

Now the thing is that even using a 1.2 factor, I should be on a cut or so, but I am actually gaining. In one month and a half I gained 1 KG from 63 to 64.

Is there anything wrong in what I am considering?

SuffolkPunch
07-31-2018, 12:16 AM
Cutting sounds like the wrong decision for you with your stats.

But the general answer to this question is that you are either
a) miscounting your intake
b) need to reduce calories further regardless of what some guesswork calculator says
c) haven't been measuring weight changes for long enough.

enomismile
07-31-2018, 12:57 AM
Cutting sounds like the wrong decision for you with your stats.

But the general answer to this question is that you are either
a) miscounting your intake
b) need to reduce calories further regardless of what some guesswork calculator says
c) haven't been measuring weight changes for long enough.

thanks for your reply!
I know, on my stats I wouldn't cut, I actually would like just to maintain. It has been a stressful period and I feel like a kind of a balance is what I need now.

a) seems unlikely to me, a part from some minor mistakes and rounding that can happen, I am the kind of precise and precise and accurate guy in whatever I do.

b) might be and this is indeed the reason that pushed me to write here. But I find hard to reduce calories further, I would feel weak cutting the intake further.

Can mixing cardio and light trainings on alternate days helping me raising my calories expenditure? (I know calories expenditure is just that, but maybe would it fasten my metabolism?) It is actually something I would find hard especially in summer, but maybe, I would prefer it over cutting more.

c) would you consider 7 weeks a too short period? I started doing some guessing on this.

Mrpb
07-31-2018, 01:10 AM
180cm, 63kg and cutting?!?!?!

Better idea: Eat enough to gain 1 or 2 pounds per month while following a good routine like Fierce 5 Novice.

enomismile
07-31-2018, 01:17 AM
180cm, 63kg and cutting?!?!?!

Better idea: Eat enough to gain 1 or 2 pounds per month while following a good routine like Fierce 5 Novice.

Thanks for your opinion.
My actual goal now is to maintain, at least for these stressful months. In general I am not the big gains fan, I don't aim to be big, just to keep a sporty good shape in the long term.

Mrpb
07-31-2018, 01:32 AM
I am 31 years old guy. 180 cm, 64 kg.

Since I started the new job I have cut my calories intake to 1600 Kcal a day , while running a 5k every day after work from Monday to Friday.

This is the way people develop eating disorders. No 180cm male should eat 1600 kcal. Like Suffolk mentioned, your calorie counting is probably not accurate.

Even if you just want to maintain you should eat more, probably about 2500 or more. Read the stickies on how to calculate your needs.

JoeTheAged
07-31-2018, 02:54 AM
This is the way people develop eating disorders. No 180cm male should eat 1600 kcal. Like Suffolk mentioned, your calorie counting is probably not accurate.

Even if you just want to maintain you should eat more, probably about 2500 or more. Read the stickies on how to calculate your needs.

Yeah I'd have to agree with this. It sound to me like the OP is undereating by around 1000 cals a day.

dest0
07-31-2018, 03:34 AM

^This.

* What's your body fat%?
* Why are you cutting?

Fact: You're not eating 1,600 calories per day.

TheGymJim
07-31-2018, 04:20 AM
Please eat considerably more than you are currently eating.