PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Calorie intake/metabolism

coloskier
07-25-2018, 07:14 PM
So I've used multiple calculators to see how many Calories I should be consuming daily to maintain or lose weight. I'm 19 years old, 5'8 160lbs and workout for an hour and 15 minutes every day on top of my job waiting tables and being on my feet 5 nights a week. All the calculators have suggested anywhere from 2,400-2,700 calories but for some reason that just doesnt feel enough and I'm still ending up hungry. Could this be me having a 19 year olds metabolism or is this something I should get used to renting to stay in very good shape.

coloskier
07-25-2018, 07:17 PM
If it helps, my goals are to maintain a 6 pack but also gain some muscle in all areas...I have a muscular build already, just diet experimenting and obsessing

AdamWW
07-25-2018, 07:19 PM
The only way to know what you need is to pick a number, eat it for about 2 weeks, and see if your average, morning, post-pee/poo weight changes.

Given your activity and weight/height, I would imagine maintaining at 2700 is possible, but it's hard to say because some people don't workout very intensely, and if you're a waiter I'm sure your movement can also vary. Maybe it's 2700, maybe it's 3700... who knows?

The best thing would be to pick something, eat it for those 2 weeks, and see what happens.

However, if you're sticking to primarily whole foods, hitting your protein, fiber, and fat goals, and you're still hungry at a certain calorie level, there's a very good chance you do actually need more.

So if you're making relatively wholesome foods choices at 2700 calories and still hungry, maybe you need 2900, or 3000....

But again, you have to test it to find out.

PS - stop 'obsessing'... abs don't matter to anyone but you... and you're not a magazine cover model, so who gives a shyt?

coloskier
07-25-2018, 08:22 PM
The only way to know what you need is to pick a number, eat it for about 2 weeks, and see if your average, morning, post-pee/poo weight changes.

Given your activity and weight/height, I would imagine maintaining at 2700 is possible, but it's hard to say because some people don't workout very intensely, and if you're a waiter I'm sure your movement can also vary. Maybe it's 2700, maybe it's 3700... who knows?

The best thing would be to pick something, eat it for those 2 weeks, and see what happens.

However, if you're sticking to primarily whole foods, hitting your protein, fiber, and fat goals, and you're still hungry at a certain calorie level, there's a very good chance you do actually need more.

So if you're making relatively wholesome foods choices at 2700 calories and still hungry, maybe you need 2900, or 3000....

But again, you have to test it to find out.

PS - stop 'obsessing'... abs don't matter to anyone but you... and you're not a magazine cover model, so who gives a shyt?

thanks for the advice! And yeah appreciate the advice, unfortunately I'm one of those people who gets a workout goal in mind and becomes a geek about it

AdamWW
07-25-2018, 08:34 PM
thanks for the advice! And yeah appreciate the advice, unfortunately I'm one of those people who gets a workout goal in mind and becomes a geek about it

Well, sadly your body isn't a closed system you can control as completely as you'd like. It's going to require trial and error, unless you live in a metabolic ward.