PDA

View Full Version : Cardio and gaining muscle

ngloading
06-01-2018, 12:35 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but does cardio kill your gains at all? or no matter the amount of cardio you do as long as you eat enough to replenish, your gains will still be there?

gbullock32
06-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Unless it interferes with recovery than it wont hinder muscle gain at all if you eat enough.

ngloading
06-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Unless it interferes with recovery than it wont hinder muscle gain at all if you eat enough. How would you know if it interferes? I am getting enough sleep and everything.

xsquid99
06-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Are your lifts stalled or going down? If not, its probably not interfering.

Cardio keeps the cardiovascular system healthy. That being said most people will reduce their cardio when bulking and increase their cardio when cutting. That doesn't mean they cut it out completely, but maybe just doing 2-3 short sessions a week if you're trying to make gains.

ironwill2008
06-01-2018, 01:04 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but does cardio kill your gains at all? or no matter the amount of cardio you do as long as you eat enough to replenish, your gains will still be there?

I've never seen even one marathon runner who had any appreciable muscle mass, but unless you're into cardio at that extreme level, it's a non-issue. If a few sessions of CV exercise per week were the Catabolic Monster that some people make it out to be, humans as a species would likely not exist at this time.

DutchTeamUltra
06-01-2018, 01:05 PM

calories in > calories out. So, yeah, why not!

It's great to do some cardio for general health anyway.

ngloading
06-01-2018, 01:23 PM
calories in > calories out. So, yeah, why not!

It's great to do some cardio for general health anyway.

Yeah, this is the way I am seeing it too. My cardio involves heavy basketball training for anyone wondering 300+ shots a day

ngloading
06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
and yes it's pretty much everyday. But, I am just seeing it as DutchTeamUltra said? calories in> calories out.

DutchTeamUltra
06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Yeah, this is the way I am seeing it too. My cardio involves heavy basketball training for anyone wondering 300+ shots a day

The thing is, don't overdo it you know?
What Ironwill said about marathon runners is true.
It can be done -> American football/rugby players, heavyweight boxers, etc etc, but it takes planning!

ngloading
06-01-2018, 02:09 PM
The thing is, don't overdo it you know?
What Ironwill said about marathon runners is true.
It can be done -> American football/rugby players, heavyweight boxers, etc etc, but it takes planning!

Yeah, that's another thing. I am looking at all sports players practice like hell on their respective sports and still are able to keep gains and progress in the weight room, so it can be done. My planning right now is keep a surplus of calories always and good sleep and hydration.

ngloading
06-01-2018, 02:53 PM
anyone else?

Heisman2
06-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Concurrent training can have negative effects but unless you are doing pretty hardcore cardio I do not expect this to be very significant. If so, try to separate your leg workouts from the cardio.

WaxyMaize
06-01-2018, 07:44 PM
If I don't do consistent HIIT cardio a lot of my gains go straight to fat storage in my stomach. That's from genetics though. Some guys are lucky and don't get the bitch tits or gut.

DutchTeamUltra
06-02-2018, 01:17 AM
Concurrent training can have negative effects but unless you are doing pretty hardcore cardio I do not expect this to be very significant. If so, try to separate your leg workouts from the cardio.

This is very important. I walk an incline treadmill the day after legday and I'm not too happy about it.
If you were to do higher impact cardio, make sure you keep legday and cardio (far) apart.

blackout3
06-02-2018, 04:15 PM
I've never seen even one marathon runner who had any appreciable muscle mass, but unless you're into cardio at that extreme level, it's a non-issue. If a few sessions of CV exercise per week were the Catabolic Monster that some people make it out to be, humans as a species would likely not exist at this time.

I've had friends that have run marathons that had mass.

But if you mean those weirdos that run 6 marathons a year and regularly pound out 70+ miles a week, then yeah