PDA

View Full Version : Lifting with calorie deficit for fat loss or just do more cardio?

keclifts
05-13-2018, 02:08 PM
I'm a 37 y/o female. 5'5" 165lbs
I have a history of being physically active despite being over weight. Lifting and running mainly.
I was a runner for years. And about 2 years ago I cut way back (and eventually stopped) running and started just lifting and I love the change I saw in my body. But it was easier to stay thinner with running. I notice with lifting I'm a lot hungrier. Where as running tended to suppress my appetite.

So I need to lose weight.

Any calorie counters I use for weight loss put me at about 1450 calories a day. I notice on that intake my weight does go down very slowly but I notice I'm sore much longer after lifting, I feel weak during workouts and I'm always hungry.

I see so many people showing how much better they look with primarily lifting, less cardio. But then I read with the amount of fat I have to lose, I need to focus on cardio.

Right now I do a full body lifting routine, with primary focus on legs/glutes. I do that 2-3x a week. I aim for 2-3 20-30 minute HIIT cardio sessions, mostly spinning. I struggle to stick with my diet when lifting. Even at 1700-1800 calories/day I do not lose weight. I also have PCOS and hypothriodism, which I think complicates things.
I have cut out lifting for a few weeks on and off over the past few months, done just cardio, and when I do I can stay in my calorie limit and lose weight. (And in going by clothing fitting not just scale)
Should I wait till I'm a lower weight before focusing on lifting? Am I just being a baby about the hunger with lifting? Maybe I need to just suck it up and deal if I want to lose more fat?

Any guidance would be helpful!

keclifts
05-13-2018, 02:22 PM
I want to add, I eat primarily a clean diet and I focus on getting most of my calories from fat and protein. It's not an issue of eating empty calories or lots of carbs.

anandagirl
05-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, muscle maintenance comes from weight lifting. Cardio only really keeps your heart healthy and/or increases your NEAT. Years ago I followed weight watchers and was encouraged to give up weight training, but when I got to goal, I was just a smaller version of the same body. I would encourage you to lift.

That means you have to work on calorie intake. There are ways to help with the energy in the gym as well as the hunger. Do you have a specific timeframe you get hungry? Some people will calorie cycle around their workouts to help with performance. There are ways to deal with hunger as well - eating a salad is one, intermittent fasting so you can have larger meals during your feeding timeframe, finding snacks that help with adherence, such a sugar free jello or hot tea. Another thing you can do is once you nail down your protein requirements, you can play with the amounts of carbs and fats you consume - some people do better on higher carbs and some better on higher fats. Women are also "lucky" in that their monthly cycles play a part in hunger - you are more likely to be hungry after ovulation leading up to your period, and less hungry for the two weeks starting with the first day of your cycle. On top of that, I just listened to a podcast with Lyle McDonald where he says women tolerate carbs better in the first half of their cycle, so to decrease carbs and increase fats during the second half of your cycle.

Basically, there is a lot of information out there and everyone is different, so it's up to you to figure out what is going to work best for you in the long run, but giving up lifting is asking for muscle loss and will not help you reach your physique goals overall.

anandagirl
05-13-2018, 02:39 PM
And I will add that there is nothing wrong with carbs, especially if you feel stronger with carbs. I eat higher fat and lower carb because the low carbs don't impact my energy level or lifting significantly. If you find that you feel weak in the gym, you may need to add in some complex carbs and see if it helps.

Last point - being hungry is a sign that the deficit is working.

keclifts
05-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Thank you for your replies! I am going to continue what I'm doing but try to modify the timing of my diet or macros to see if that helps with feeling ok on my calorie allowance. But also keep in mind that hunger is not a bad thing. It's definitely different with lifting than cardio!

Tommy W.
05-14-2018, 06:51 AM
And I will add that there is nothing wrong with carbs, especially if you feel stronger with carbs. I eat higher fat and lower carb because the low carbs don't impact my energy level or lifting significantly. If you find that you feel weak in the gym, you may need to add in some complex carbs and see if it helps.

Last point - being hungry is a sign that the deficit is working.I can just comment with "THIS^^^^" on Anandagirls posts and save myself from posting anymore

anandagirl
05-14-2018, 11:03 AM
I can just comment with "THIS^^^^" on Anandagirls posts and save myself from posting anymoreLOL well, that means I'm doing something right :D