04-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Overrated

niospecv
04-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Kobe

troll harder

SompletelyCober
04-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Kareem is a good pick. Inb4 LeIdiots start talking about "hurr durr if lebron passes kareem in all time points that means he's #1"

Kareem is very likely the greatest basketball player of all time. He has 6 rings. 6 NBA MVPs. He carried UCLA to 3 NCAA championships. And this was only because at the time freshmen couldn't play on the varsity team. Here are his high school credentials:

From an early age, Lew Alcindor began his record-breaking basketball accomplishments. In high school, he led coach Jack Donahue's Power Memorial Academy team to three straight New York City Catholic championships, a 71-game winning streak, and a 79–2 overall record.[19] This earned him a nickname—"The tower from Power".[20] His 2,067 total points were a New York City high school record.[17] The team won the national high school boys basketball championship when Alcindor was in 11th grade and was runner-up his senior year.[20]

When you add it all up he was the greatest basketball player of all time and arguably the greatest NBA player during his career. Very clearly top 2 with Jordan and no one will pass either unless they get 7 rings with the amount of other accomplishments those two accrued during their careers.

stardewvalley
04-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Kareem is a good pick. Inb4 LeIdiots start talking about "hurr durr if lebron passes kareem in all time points that means he's #1"

Kareem is very likely the greatest basketball player of all time. He has 6 rings. 6 NBA MVPs. He carried UCLA to 3 NCAA championships. And this was only because at the time freshmen couldn't play on the varsity team. Here are his high school credentials:

When you add it all up he was the greatest basketball player of all time and arguably the greatest NBA player during his career. Very clearly top 2 with Jordan and no one will pass either unless they get 7 rings with the amount of other accomplishments those two accrued during their careers.

I am not familiar with high school hoops during that era but can you genuinely say it was as competitive as high school hoops is today with stacked teams competing nationally throughout the year?

JBhaverhill
04-08-2018, 08:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/q1CzV8k.gif

MBisonSon
04-08-2018, 09:04 PM

I love when they try and act like the points are the same across eras.

Everything gets cheapened/watered down over time, look at NFL as well.

Offense makes money because it brings in casuals like Lestans who just eat it up.

The integrity of sports is being ruined to bring in casuals who aren't even smart enough to be able to put things into context.

Then couple that with a desperate need to validate their fandom AKA "we're all witness" yeah witness to LeManufactured.

Like are you happy little bro? You got to "witness" "something special"

RobParks2M
04-08-2018, 09:07 PM

Yep no one is gonna Match his resume(anyone that good will never stick around in college for 3 titles they'd rather jump to the NBA and make millions). Kareem did it all.

TaeBoNinja
04-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Backpicks is a RealGM poster's site, nothing more.

tekkenbruh
04-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Offense makes money because it brings in casuals like Lestans who just eat it up.

The integrity of sports is being ruined to bring in casuals who aren't even smart enough to be able to put things into context.

Then couple that with a desperate need to validate their fandom AKA "we're all witness" yeah witness to LeManufactured.

- thread about Jordan/Kareem.
- brings up Lebron for whatever reason.

Talk about obsession

AlBHappy
04-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Kareem was awesome. But not the greatest.

I'm going with Mr. Russell and his 21-0 record in winner take all games.

MJ is overrated. Air Jordans have propped him up. Never won anything until Magic caught the Hi 5, Bird's back gave out and the Pistons finally got old.

Beat the Jazz 2x, big whoop.

sooby
04-09-2018, 08:12 AM
i think you could certainly make the argument for kareem, if anybody were to pick jordan #2, kareem would have to be #1.

So you're saying Kareem would score more in this era of basketball than back in the 70s? Not sure if SRS at all.

Contrary to popular belief, teams actually played a lot faster in the 70's than in the present time. The mid-90s to the beginning of this decade, teams played super fuking slow. So stats back then such as points and rebounds are super inflated. Teams also scored way more points back in the 60s, 70s, 80s than now. There are 30 seasons above the 2017-2018 in average points scored league-wide so you're comment about offense makes money is highly ironic.

According to what you said the 80s era of basketball is a more watered-down and cheapened version of the current era of basketball. So in FACT Kareem's point total is actually less impressive because of the pace of which the game was played and the amount of points teams were averaging. LeBron has played the bulk of his career in an era where the game was slowed down to a snail's pace which actually makes it more impressive. So you pretty much proved the opposite of the point you were trying to make.

One would think "offense would make more money" because of currycucks and warrior stans in awe of 30 ft 3 pointers. You make fun of casuals yet ironically you are the one spouting nonsense casual opinions trying to pass it off as fact. Imagine being CT Fletcher's long lost little brother being so obsessed as to bring up lebron in a thread about Jordan/Kareem.

MBisonSon
04-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Kareem played without the 3 point line most of his career, so defenses could collapse on him with virtually no consequences.

Back then they didn't call phantom fouls, or if they did I guarantee it wasn't rampant like today, there was no flopping, etc.

And Lebron was brought up ITT before I did :o

jinda628
04-09-2018, 10:59 AM
I have no issues with KAJ as #1. But how can I take this list seriously having Kevin Garnett ahead of Kobe, Bird, Magic and Wilt? I can't even convince myself about Duncan ahead of them as well.

dtbrehm
04-09-2018, 02:57 PM
I have no issues with KAJ as #1. But how can I take this list seriously having Kevin Garnett ahead of Kobe, Bird, Magic and Wilt? I can't even convince myself about Duncan ahead of them as well.

What specifically in the KG/Kobe/Bird/Magic/Wilt articles do you disagree with?

Hardcore_D00d
04-10-2018, 04:02 PM
such skill. such handles. such goat

WagLsOTNlF8

TaeBoNinja
04-10-2018, 05:04 PM
He's a KG fanboy. Anyone who's posted at RealGm over the years knows about him and a few others. They worship +/- numbers

They laso don't care about impact on winning, they're statgeeks

jassako
04-10-2018, 09:09 PM
KAJ, GOATbe, and MJ are the only three in tier 1. everyone else looking up

rowdyroddypeep
04-10-2018, 10:14 PM
MJ overrated AF, had the machine behind him

lecurry
04-11-2018, 01:09 AM

1. KAJ -
2. MJ - http://www.backpicks.com/2018/04/08/backpicks-goat-2-michael-jordan/
14. GOATbe - http://www.backpicks.com/2018/03/01/backpicks-goat-14-kobe-bryant/

tekkenbruh
04-11-2018, 02:56 AM

lol

mgftp
04-11-2018, 03:37 AM
Tried to watch last night, got pissed the app wasn't working and dawked around with it for 10min before I realized the games are tonight. LoL, the general level potato.

jinda628
04-11-2018, 07:07 AM
What specifically in the KG/Kobe/Bird/Magic/Wilt articles do you disagree with?

Do you seriously think KG and Duncan actually should rank ahead of Kobe, Magic, Bird and Wilt?
Rankings are always subjective anyway but I dont think I have seen KG ranked ahead of this group in any other similar rankings.

sooby
04-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Kareem played without the 3 point line most of his career, so defenses could collapse on him with virtually no consequences.

Back then they didn't call phantom fouls, or if they did I guarantee it wasn't rampant like today, there was no flopping, etc.

And Lebron was brought up ITT before I did :o

and defense was mostly played man to man and offense was more iso heavy b/c of it.

Critter5592
04-11-2018, 07:40 AM
I'm personally not really a fan of comparing someone who played in 60's to 2018. Game is just too different and I didn't even see half the players actually play.

dtbrehm
04-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Do you seriously think KG and Duncan actually should rank ahead of Kobe, Magic, Bird and Wilt?
Rankings are always subjective anyway but I dont think I have seen KG ranked ahead of this group in any other similar rankings.

I was just wondering if you actually read the articles or if you're just judging on how it compares to traditional rankings. Like there's seriously a ton of insight in these articles and most people are just getting hung up on the rankings instead of talking about the points being made.

And I think KG is pretty underrated, but it's higher than I'd have him. I also don't think it's hard to make an argument for Duncan as being the best of the those six.

sooby
04-11-2018, 09:40 AM
I was just wondering if you actually read the articles or if you're just judging on how it compares to traditional rankings. Like there's seriously a ton of insight in these articles and most people are just getting hung up on the rankings instead of talking about the points being made.

And I think KG is pretty underrated, but it's higher than I'd have him. I also don't think it's hard to make an argument for Duncan as being the best of the those six.

this, dont think most of these guys even read. And I do think you can easily make the argument that Duncan ranks above at least Kobe.

TaeBoNinja
04-11-2018, 01:50 PM

It's cherrypicked data. The author of the article will use one thing to rank player A over player B, and then another thing to rank player B over player C. But then you see that player C ranks over player C using the first criteria and it all becomes a joke.

KG is known for 1st round losses, and has only 1 ring because he joined a super team. On what planet is this guy the #8 player all-time? It's just dumb. +/- geeks are just weird as fuk.

tekkenbruh
04-11-2018, 01:54 PM
It's cherrypicked data. The author of the article will use one thing to rank player A over player B, and then another thing to rank player B over player C. But then you see that player C ranks over player C using the first criteria and it all becomes a joke.

KG is known for 1st round losses, and has only 1 ring because he joined a super team. On what planet is this guy the #8 player all-time? It's just dumb. +/- geeks are just weird as fuk.

Funny I see +/- thrown on this forum all the time. I'll let you guess who is it usually cited against

bezarker
04-11-2018, 01:59 PM
I'm not even a fan of MJ but I know he's the GOAT.

dtbrehm
04-11-2018, 02:17 PM

What's an example of your first point?

And I'm not sure how looking more in-depth at individual performance is somehow more weird than blindly attributing team success to an individual player. That argument only makes sense if it's an individual sport like tennis or if the two players being compared had the exact same coach and teammates. Saying KG is known for first round losses would be like saying the equivalent for '05-'07 Kobe or MJ before Pippen. Not everyone gets to have one of the best coaches, a teammate with arguably the GOAT peak (2000 Shaq), or a teammate who's arguably the GOAT perimeter defender (Pippen).

MBisonSon
04-11-2018, 02:20 PM
this, dont think most of these guys even read. And I do think you can easily make the argument that Duncan ranks above at least Kobe.

Duncan had studs his whole career.

When he didn't have Robinson, he had Ginobli and Parker soon after.

When Shaq left Kobe's next best player was Lamar Odom.

Best Odom ever was 6th man of the year, Ginobli was regularly in that conversation.

He and Parker were up for MVP consideration several times in their careers.

So no, can't make the same argument, Kobe never had spacing like with two MVP caliber players.

TaeBoNinja
04-11-2018, 02:28 PM
What's an example of your first point?

And I'm not sure how looking more in-depth at individual performance is somehow more weird than blindly attributing team success to an individual player. That argument only makes sense if it's an individual sport like tennis or if the two players being compared had the exact same coach and teammates. Saying KG is known for first round losses would be like saying the equivalent for '05-'07 Kobe or MJ before Pippen. Not everyone gets to have one of the best coaches, a teammate with arguably the GOAT peak (2000 Shaq), or a teammate who's arguably the GOAT perimeter defender (Pippen).
+/- isn't in-depth. The people who created it even said it shouldn't be used for comparisons, but that's what the analytics crowd does, largely because they can then get paid by sports organizations.

As for 05-07 KG and 05-07 Kobe. You do realize KG missed the playoffs all those years, while Kobe was leading a team of Smush and Kwame into the playoffs? I don't even have KG over Dirk, much less Malone or Barkley. It's all so dumb.

Guys like KG fill boxscores, and that's why the analytics crowd loves them. it's like picking Phillip Rivers over Tom Brady. NBA analysis are the WOAT

FakeRabona
04-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Duncan had studs his whole career.

When he didn't have Robinson, he had Ginobli and Parker soon after.

When Shaq left Kobe's next best player was Lamar Odom.

Best Odom ever was 6th man of the year, Ginobli was regularly in that conversation.

He and Parker were up for MVP consideration several times in their careers.

So no, can't make the same argument, Kobe never had spacing like with two MVP caliber players.

Lmfao Kobe had 4 HoFers in 2012 and won 40 games.

MBisonSon
04-11-2018, 02:50 PM

They were at the very ends of their careers, take that intellectually dishonest bull**** somewhere else.

TaeBoNinja
04-11-2018, 02:56 PM
It's was a 66 game season, lol. And Nash/Dwight/Kobe were all hurt.

FakeRabona
04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
They were at the very ends of their careers, take that intellectually dishonest bull**** somewhere else.

Fast forward 5 years and 3/4 are still in the league.

It's was a 66 game season, lol. And Nash/Dwight/Kobe were all hurt.

Not sure if srs.

TaeBoNinja
04-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Not sure if srs.
2012 was a 66 games season
2013(one with DaWhite), had 3 of the stars hurt

tekkenbruh
04-11-2018, 10:42 PM
+/- isn't in-depth. The people who created it even said it shouldn't be used for comparisons, but that's what the analytics crowd does, largely because they can then get paid by sports organizations.

As for 05-07 KG and 05-07 Kobe. You do realize KG missed the playoffs all those years, while Kobe was leading a team of Smush and Kwame into the playoffs? I don't even have KG over Dirk, much less Malone or Barkley. It's all so dumb.

Guys like KG fill boxscores, and that's why the analytics crowd loves them. it's like picking Phillip Rivers over Tom Brady. NBA analysis are the WOAT

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175618451&p=1548850851&viewfull=1#post1548850851

dtbrehm
04-12-2018, 10:07 AM

I think that's a bit disingenuous. There's obviously a lot more that went into these articles than simply looking at on/off splits on basketball-reference.

With how vocal people are about the Smush/Kwame years, why doesn't that same level of nuance apply to other team situations? Those Minnesota squads were pretty bad outside a couple of years of an older Cassell and Sprewell.

The same analytics that you discredit support the idea that those 05-07 Lakers teams were bad without Kobe..