PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent fasting: always hungry during "feast" period

marie056
03-19-2018, 02:35 PM
So I started inttermitent fasting a week ago. I wanted to ease myself into so do 14/10 for a week or two and then if I like it work my way up to 16/8.

So far I really like it (especially since I only have 2 meals to plan instead of 3 or 4), and I'm dealing really well with the fasting period, the only thing is that during the eating window (so between 8am and 6pm) I am constantly hungry. Earlier today I ate a protein bar (29c/20p/9f - 270 calories) and I was hungry about an hour later!

And it is not because I don't eat enough calories I'm always around 1700-2000, depending if I workout or not (and i'm 5'9; 170 lbs so that's a pretty small calorie deficit) - Also it's not water : I drink 4-5 liters a day.

Just curious, has this happen to anyone while they started ? Is it my body getting use to that new way of eating or maybe the hunger is psychological lol ?

formicaman
03-19-2018, 03:39 PM
You don't need to do IF if its not for you. Is it best for your lifestyle?

rhadam
03-19-2018, 03:44 PM
You're changing your dietary habits so yes there's going to be an adjustment period as your body adapts to your fasting and eating windows.

okayest
03-19-2018, 04:17 PM
You will always be slightly hungry in a deficit.

Protein bars are also not filling/satiating. It’s not surprising that 1 didn’t fill you up for hours.

marie056
03-19-2018, 05:05 PM
My issue is not being slightly hungry, it's that I am constantly hungry during eating window, but during the fasting period i start feeling hungry after like 5 or 6 hours. Which is not really a problem, i just feel its weird!

Also, why are you saying protein bars are not satiating? (usually something close to 300 calories fills my up for at least an hour or two)

okayest
03-19-2018, 06:11 PM
Are you drinking caffeine in the fasting period? I don’t purposefully IF and recently my first meal takes hours longer to get around to (like 6 hours after waking up), but I have 2 cups of coffee when I wake up and waiting doesn’t bother me. Then I get hungry about every 2 hours after.

The protein bars are not satiating because you’re getting hungry soon after. Whether or not something dampens your hunger depends on how much it fills your stomach and how long it stays in there, how tasty or bland you found it, and how it affects your blood sugar. Long term how many calories you consume matter but not short term. Different foods will fill you up for different times even with equal calories. Which protein bar did you eat?

kusok
03-19-2018, 06:12 PM
You probably have poor insulin response. A classic sign of it is hunger, especially after eating carbs, even at a significant caloric surplus. Solution is obviously to look into lower carb diets.

Another thing to remember is IF takes a few weeks to adjust to. And some people will not adjust even after several weeks. In which case simply don't do IF.

I'd stay away from liquid shakes and protein bars, real food is more filling. Increase your fiber and probably protein and fats to help with satiety. Increase greens also.

What are your macros? Like, for me personally anything below 0.6 g/lb fat and 1.4 g/lb protein and I'm hungry all day even with maintenance calories or above! But at 300 grams protein (I'm 200 lbs) and minimum 120 grams fat I'm NOT hungry even in a deficit. The only thing that makes me hungry is if I eat some carb like rice.. After rice I want to eat 4 more bowls of rice until I can't move anymore...

One last thing is to remember that your stats and calories only tell part of the story. What is your activity level? Are you losing fat and/or weight? Because if you're active and/or have fast metabolism then your 1700 calories may be way too low. If you're losing more than 1 lb weekly that may be too big of a deficit.

If all else fails there are natural substances to help with hunger.

marie056
03-19-2018, 07:33 PM
Are you drinking caffeine in the fasting period? I don’t purposefully IF and recently my first meal takes hours longer to get around to (like 6 hours after waking up), but I have 2 cups of coffee when I wake up and waiting doesn’t bother me. Then I get hungry about every 2 hours after.

The protein bars are not satiating because you’re getting hungry soon after. Whether or not something dampens your hunger depends on how much it fills your stomach and how long it stays in there, how tasty or bland you found it, and how it affects your blood sugar. Long term how many calories you consume matter but not short term. Different foods will fill you up for different times even with equal calories. Which protein bar did you eat?

I eat the cliff bars (pretty much the only vegans ones I can find that don't have too much carbs for the amount of protein, and are reasonably priced). You might be right for volume, I tend to go for foods that I can eat quickly and are calorie dense (I used to struggle to eat enough calories). So maybe I'll try to go for bigger meals, instead of multiple relatively small snacks.
I was thinking of incresing protein and fat too.
So I'll try that and see how this week goes.

okayest
03-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Definitely play around with meal sizes, frequency, timing and composition to find what works best for you. If you're vegan and want quick and filling with some protein, canned beans are gold. Frozen edamame that steam in the bag are good too. I love the ones in pods smothered with salt and sriracha. Good luck.

ErikTheElectric
03-19-2018, 09:57 PM
More volume, less calories.