PDA

View Full Version : Help calculating maintenance calories

Yogi26
03-16-2018, 02:09 AM
Hi all,

Could I possibly ask for some help with the nutritional side of things from people who are experienced??

Long story short i had surgery in 2015 to correct a hip issue that didn't work now I'm awaiting further surgery which means I'm limited to they amount and types or cardio I can do which has resulted in me putting on weight even when dieting and weight training (looking to lose weight)

I've got advice off 4 different PTs and all four have given me different information and I just don't know what to do. I've tried myfitness pal but feel my calories i consume are to low with the information provided. I just want to know opinions before I put my head down and try yet again.

If any one is willing to help I could give more info regarding height weight age activity levels. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Y

SuffolkPunch
03-16-2018, 02:21 AM
You won't get exact numbers because there is a lot of variance amongst different people.

There are calculators and formulae (see the sticky threads for more info) these can give you a starting point - but that's all it is. You will need to weight yourself every day, look through the noise caused by daily fluctuations in water weight (perhaps record a rolling average) and make adjustments every 2 weeks or so.

LeeBargh
03-16-2018, 02:22 AM
tdeecalculator.net/

Here you go - plenty of online calculators available

LouStotes
03-16-2018, 02:40 AM
I may be way off here but it sounds like you aren't very active due to your hip at the moment so youre most likely not burning more calories than you're taking in.

weight loss = calorie deficit, more calories burnt than are consumed.

Although these online calculators aren't ever going to be accurate they can be a starting point. Find out your maintenance calories and try a 10/15% deficit and see how that does you for the next few weeks!

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Yogi26
03-17-2018, 11:09 AM
hi guys,

thanks for taking the time to reply, i have used a few a few online calculators when trying to calculate my calories, the problem is most ask for activity level, i have a desk job so that puts me in the sedentary bracket. but i wouldn't consider myself not very active as i go the gym 5 mornings a week before work to do 50 mins cardio and 4/5 evenings a week doing an hour's weights. so for the calculators do i keep myself as sedentary or adjust it.

at the min myfitnesspal has me in 1690 calories a day which feels really low. my fitbit is calculating im burning anywhere between 3200 calories to 4500 calories a day depending on workouts and activity for the day (i know this is not accurate reading). i will admit once a week i will get a takeaway and a crate of beer so that can ne improved.

hi LouStotes thanks for your reply...my hip does restrict my cardio type greatly as i can no longer run or even walk on a treadmill or do my circuit classes, but i am still able to train,my cardio consists of 50 minutes steady rate on a cross trainer keeping ny heart rate around an average of 140bpm in average 5 days a week and weight training consists of kris gethin 12 week trainer program.

ive been told that because I'm eating so little calories on a daily basis its stopping weight loss but that can't be true can it?

thanks guys
Y

SuffolkPunch
03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Like I said, calculators are never going to be accurate. Just split the difference between them and use it as a starting point. Real weight changes will soon tell you if the guess was good or needs adjusting.

ive been told that because I'm eating so little calories on a daily basis its stopping weight loss but that can't be true can it?

No, that is not true - although it can sometimes appear that way because very low calorie conditions raise your stress hormone levels which can make you retain water. At some point you'll drop that water weight in a 'whoosh' and the scale will drop suddenly.

There are other problems of eating too little - such as muscle loss. Don't try to lose more than about 1lb a week. Dig in for the long run.