PDA

View Full Version : Fiber intake on low calories

Borpman
03-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Hi people. I am 21, 5'7 and 151 pounds and have lifted for 8 months or so now. I Used to be really fat as a kid and teenager, leaned down a little bit during my late teens without knowing, and then since the start of 2017 i've been doing the whole counting calories and lifting stuff.

Now, I'm trying to lose fat since i still have quite a bit of bodyfat left, and because of my stats and with lots of testing of weeks at higher calories with daily weigh ins etc, and with some answers from others here it seems like I don't lose weight unless I go down to 1500 calories. Now my question is; if I eat 1g per pound of protein on a cut, and 0.4g per pound of fat on a cut, i basically only have like 80 g of carbs left, so even when i fill them with fiberous vegetables brocolli etc, i never hit my fiber goals. Any tips? I'd like to feel good in my tummy through the day and just feel overall nice while still hitting that 0.4g per pound of fat, since that's apparently really important?

Borpman
03-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Oh and to add to this. I've started to meal prep so i have made 2 containers for each day with 225 g of chicken breast in each, and about 200g of vegetables such as brocolli and wok etc, and no starchy carbs on the side. And then for the fats i do 90% dark chocolate and peanuts, and i try to just eat 100g of raw spinach, and yea that's basically how i eat day to day i can say more if needed

gbullock32
03-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Are you tracking accurately? You should be able to lose just fine at a higher caloric intake, 1500 is pretty much your BMR which is what you would burn in a coma...

As for the fiber, you could add a fiber supplement, they are pretty cheap.

Borpman
03-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Hi. Yes i am confident I am tracking accurately. I weigh everything uncooked, including all oil (if i use it) etc as well. I double check every nutrition label on different sources and use myfitnesspal. Some people have said it's really low for my stats, but another person that had the same stats also replied to me saying he has to cut at 1500 as well..

TreHockey
03-14-2018, 02:28 PM
I've read Psyllium Husk is a good source of fibre. I'm not sure the pros/cons as it was just something I came across yesterday doing some reading on fibre.

okayest
03-14-2018, 03:41 PM
I got 36g of fiber today for 88g carbs so filling your carb intake with fibrous vegetables will work. Don’t know why you said it won’t. How much fiber are you trying to get anyway?

Heisman2
03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
I've read Psyllium Husk is a good source of fibre. I'm not sure the pros/cons as it was just something I came across yesterday doing some reading on fibre.

It's a gel-forming viscous soluble fiber that will help slow absorption of nutrients (so should be filling), decrease rates of glucose absorption (helpful for people with type 2 diabetes... won't help someone who doesn't have issues with insulin resistance/hyperglycemia), and decrease reabsorption of bile in the enterohepatic circulation (thus leading to excretion of bile in the stool, triggering the liver to produce more bile, and to do this it has to upregulate LDL receptors so this decreases serum LDL without impacting HDL). For those reasons it is helpful. It is also non-fermentable, so it can aid in stool bulking (good for people with diarrhea or constipation). However, being non-fermentable, it will not "feed" the gut microbiome and thus will not be converted to short chain fatty acids that have positive health properties. Thus it has a lot of good health properties but wouldn't be the only fiber I'd consume in my diet. It is sold over the counter (at least in the US) as Metamucil.

TreHockey
03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
It's a gel-forming viscous soluble fiber that will help slow absorption of nutrients (so should be filling), decrease rates of glucose absorption (helpful for people with type 2 diabetes... won't help someone who doesn't have issues with insulin resistance/hyperglycemia), and decrease reabsorption of bile in the enterohepatic circulation (thus leading to excretion of bile in the stool, triggering the liver to produce more bile, and to do this it has to upregulate LDL receptors so this decreases serum LDL without impacting HDL). For those reasons it is helpful. It is also non-fermentable, so it can aid in stool bulking (good for people with diarrhea or constipation). However, being non-fermentable, it will not "feed" the gut microbiome and thus will not be converted to short chain fatty acids that have positive health properties. Thus it has a lot of good health properties but wouldn't be the only fiber I'd consume in my diet. It is sold over the counter (at least in the US) as Metamucil.
Thanks! Best info I've found

dmmx3
03-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Add chia seeds to whatever u can. They have minimal taste. You can even spoon em into your mouth and flush em down as you might with creatine. 1 tbsp is 5g carbs/5g fiber, 4g fat and 3g protein.

Psyllium husk is good too if you need a few more grams at end of day.

gl

sfgiants13
03-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Check out those carbsmart tortillas. The small fajita style ones are 80 calories and 13g fiber. I'll use those to make steak/chicken fajitas. Those are a staple for getting my fiber up.

ErikTheElectric
03-14-2018, 09:02 PM
1,500 calories is drastically low, fix THAT and worry about your calorie intake.