PDA

View Full Version : medicating children for mental health issues

Mogambo
03-07-2018, 12:23 PM
I'm watching a Frontline doc on children being medicated things for such as bi-polar disease. I am shocked by both how many children are being mediated and the number of medications they are being prescribed. I'm not using the word shocked lightly here. It made enough of an impact on me that I paused it and came here to vent some.

I'm not saying that there are cases in which medication is warranted. I'm not in homes of these parents who say that they are at wit's end with dealing with their child. From what they describe of their child's behavior it sounds out of the ordinary for sure. But in some of the cases that they describe I feel like it's not something that's manageable only by medication.

One mother described how without medication their lives couldn't go on. That her son exhibited behaviors such as howling on the ground 'animalistically' and even harming himself by hitting his head on the wall. I've never been a parent. That being said I think there are ways to mitigate those types of behavior. It's not easy. And your hands will get dirty and there will be tears shed by all involved. But I would never medicate by child for behaviors such as some of these parents describe.

The side effects of the medications are awful. Repetitive ticks. Long term is going to be a lot worse once we see the end results since child mediation for mental disorders is a relatively new phenomenon.

Anyway, it was heartbreaking to me to see so many children being giving drugs like Lithium...LITHIUM....mind blowing. I mean to give powerful drugs like that to children...a growing and developing doesn't make sense to me. And to show how stupid we are as a society...parents that want to treat their children for a physical ailment such as seizure with cannabis are not allowed to.

Ok, just had to vent.

StrawberryTaco
03-07-2018, 12:37 PM
parenting is being replaced by medication. damn feel good libs giving participation trophies to kids that came in dead last. the only thing that makes your snowflake kids unique is they never got smacked when they were acting out

“yaa yaah blahaa dee doo”
<whack>
“waaaa”
“shut up”

instant cure for adhd

Aesthetical
03-07-2018, 12:40 PM
That's what happens when you let pharma inject vaccines into healthy children.

They created lifelong patients starting at an early age.

dabbmw2002
03-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Can't patent Nature, but you can patent drugs

Tanerian
03-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Can't patent Nature, but you can patent drugs

This.

Big Pharma gives 0 Fuks about kids. All about the Benjamins.

ParsleyTea
03-07-2018, 02:00 PM
I've known a couple parents that have medicated kids for a variety of mental health reasons. I remember two instances that made me wonder about the mental health of the parents. One in particular concerned two parents that were doctors, that worked at the local University. The two physicians had two children. I was told both of their children were mentally ill and needed a great deal of medication for the problems. Ironically, the father did research work in mental health at the University. Made me wonder what was up with him.

Anyway, always hard to say being an outsider.

I thought this a sad situation about the drug paroxetine used to treat depression in adolescents. Studies found the drug didn't work and yet increased suicide in kids.

"Study 329 – where the hell is the outrage?"

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/10/01/study-329-where-the-hell-is-the-outrage/

excerpt:

...I will add to this that a co-author of study 329, Karen Wagner, named eight times in the 2011 US Department of Justice complaint against GSK, is currently the president elect of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry – whose journal, the JAACAP, is where the original study was published.

Taking stock. What do we have? A study was done, and published, demonstrating that paroxetine was safe and effective. The trial data were heavily promoted, resulting in millions of children and adolescents being prescribed paroxetine.

The reality is that this drug was completely ineffective and increased the risk of suicide (amongst other things). This has all been known for many years. The latest re-analysis simply confirms everyone’s worst fears.

So surely someone, somewhere, got punished? No they did not. Not only that, but the original published study has not even been retracted. It still sits in the medical database. A young and innocent researcher could come across it, and reference it, and use data from it to support a grant application for a study to use antidepressants in children.

If this were not all completely and absolutely one hundred per-cent fact, you might think we have a possible plot line for a dystopian novel here. A story of terrible corruption where large corporations can distort data through one hundred and eighty degrees, and get away with a fine. A world where bent researchers promote research that results in more children committing suicide, and then move on positions of greater power and authority – with no censure from anyone. To become presidents of major medical societies, for example.

Frankly I don’t think I would dare to write a novel with a plot so completely outrageous. Surely someone, somewhere, would be punished for this behaviour. Surely the paper would be retracted. Surely a co-author of such a study would not be in line for a prestigious position. Surely the public would rise up in outrage.

In truth, it seems, nothing is going to happen at all. I must dig out 1984 and read it again, just to depress myself even further.

DizzySmalls
03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
The state of humanity right now is too bizarre not to have some form of mental health issues.