PDA

View Full Version : Games are so overrated these days

vordulmega
02-28-2018, 03:53 AM
Anyone notice? Probably since at least a few years back and particularly by mainstream sites although gamespot seems more harsh than IGN for example.

The only game to not disappoint me lately is Mario Odyssey which is legitimately near perfect from an objective point of view. That game is on par with the greats of the old days.

However as a few examples, I found the entire recent Wolfenstein series to be more around 6.5 to 7/10 tops; Breath of the Wild maybe 6.5/10; Mario Rabbids 7/10.

Bayonetta for Switch got perfect scores so I bought it and completed both--the first one is dated as hell and tops out around 6/10, second one is slightly better but no more than 7/10 imo.

I've escaped a few so far like PUBG on Xbox which got good reviews but apparently doesn't live up to them.

A lot of the time if you look at Metacritic the user reviews are more accurate and far lower than the critic average.

EgoActor
02-28-2018, 05:17 AM
while I agree there are kickbacks in the reviewing market; a game is only as enjoyable as your brain chemistry makes it

Junsuiakai
02-28-2018, 05:29 AM
It's called growing up.

I still play games but it's more to pass time.

Brozef
02-28-2018, 05:30 AM
Anyone notice? Probably since at least a few years back and particularly by mainstream sites although gamespot seems more harsh than IGN for example.

The only game to not disappoint me lately is Mario Odyssey which is legitimately near perfect from an objective point of view. That game is on par with the greats of the old days.

However as a few examples, I found the entire recent Wolfenstein series to be more around 6.5 to 7/10 tops; Breath of the Wild maybe 6.5/10; Mario Rabbids 7/10.

Bayonetta for Switch got perfect scores so I bought it and completed both--the first one is dated as hell and tops out around 6/10, second one is slightly better but no more than 7/10 imo.

I've escaped a few so far like PUBG on Xbox which got good reviews but apparently doesn't live up to them.

A lot of the time if you look at Metacritic the user reviews are more accurate and far lower than the critic average.

Games makers now put more effort into making games look good and less effort into actual game content. Man lands on moon.
The effect is that there will be a divide with how the games are received by the audience. Ratings will be all over the place (honest ratings like metacritic user scores).

As long as game makers are profiting like they are from these gorgeous hollow games, there is no need to change in their minds.

Brozef
02-28-2018, 05:34 AM
while I agree there are kickbacks in the reviewing market; a game is only as enjoyable as your brain chemistry makes it

Possibly.

As someone started playing games on NES and every console since, I personally disagree. I have played many ugly games that had absolutely fascinating game content, and eye popping games that were boring. I'll take the former every time.

AWillis
02-28-2018, 05:39 AM
only game i never get bored is Everybody's Golf. as i can always improve. the only thing i wish is that it had endless courses.

Aristotelian
02-28-2018, 06:19 AM
I'm playing Divinity 2 right now and I'm loving it to be honest.

I found over the past few years that I'd get into a game like The Division and pvp would be full of hacking and trolls, even the multiplayer aspect was a crapshoot - idiots totally undergeared for an encounter etc just hoping to leech off other people. I did not enjoy the communities in Dota 2 or Overwatch either.

If we are talking about online games - the community matters a lot. If we are talking about single player games - I mean I really enjoyed the Mass Effect trilogy but not Andromeda. I enjoyed the Witcher series. Whether or not some games are worth around USD 70 for a fairly short single player campaign (even if it is loaded with dozens of hours of side quests) is up to you. But I do agree that if there's a fixed budget for a game a lot of it seems to be spent on graphics and not really on optimizing the gameplay experience.

I'm always on the lookout for a good game but after this play through of Divinity 2 I'm itching to replay the Mass Effect series and this is a shame - as a gamer I should be encouraged to get some new flagship game, yet I can't seem to find any interesting ones. Could very well be my fault though.

Zerafian
02-28-2018, 06:33 AM
no.

theres always some RPG or FPS that has a good story to play through.

It's called growing up.

phrased that wrong a bit my man, perspective is a bit skewed. The average age group of gamers are guys in the late 20s and 30s. Gaming isnt about being a child, hence why there are different game genres and age ratings for games, suited for children and/or adults. I find gaming more a mature action then going out and drinking at a bar, which many "adults" do.

InstantLoser
02-28-2018, 07:07 AM
It's called growing up.

Just because you find something less interesting than you used to doesn't mean that hobby is "childish" (which is implied in your statement). It means you lost interest in it, which is fine. I used to play 13 instruments in school. After I graduated, I lost interest because I got into IT. That doesn't make playing music something "grown ups" don't do.

wisdommaster1
02-28-2018, 07:21 AM
It's called growing up.

well games are designed with adults in mind since the average gamer age is 30 something. So growing up should have no role here

Budjola
02-28-2018, 07:50 AM
games are getting boring as you get older but diablo 3 and borderlands never disappoints me and they are my go to when im in gaming crisis

Destor
02-28-2018, 08:29 AM
I trust Steam reviews over anything else. I haven't yet been let down by a game rated 9/10 on Steam

Definitely digging more mature games and horror games lately

-Resident Evil 7
-Dying Light
-The Evil Within 2
-Currently really enjoying Prey
-Recent Doom was extremely good
-Divinity 2

Those are all 9/10s, they look awesome and have wicked content, top tier writing, etc

Brozef
02-28-2018, 08:39 AM
I trust Steam reviews over anything else. I haven't yet been let down by a game rated 9/10 on Steam

Definitely digging more mature games and horror games lately

-Resident Evil 7
-Dying Light
-The Evil Within 2
-Currently really enjoying Prey
-Recent Doom was extremely good
-Divinity 2

Those are all 9/10s, they look awesome and have wicked content, top tier writing, etc

RE 7 has wicked content? You must be trolling.

Destor
02-28-2018, 08:56 AM
RE 7 has wicked content? You must be trolling.

What are you calling content? Side quests and such?

I'm talking story, ambiance, narrative. I don't find any of those games hollow

Brozef
02-28-2018, 09:41 AM
What are you calling content? Side quests and such?

I'm talking story, ambiance, narrative. I don't find any of those games hollow

Substance other than visuals.

RE 7 was a shell compared to previous titles prior to RE 5.
RE 7 was a massive let down for me. What a disappointment.

BigBallsMcgee
02-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Games have objectively gotten better over time, what happens is your interests change.

300BLK
02-28-2018, 10:16 AM
They are technically better than ever as far as engines and communities go; better graphics, better physics, better mechanics, way more social, etc. But the industry has become way more commercial; a lot of games are more expensive, glitchier, unmoddable, etc. The nostalgia feel has ran out for most games, because many of them feel more like cashgrabs and not the art we grew up with.

Destor
02-28-2018, 10:55 AM

Not for me man. I played all the earlier RE games, though out of them I can only vaguely recall RE 4. I enjoyed the chit out of RE 7

Junsuiakai
02-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Fair enough, I phrased it incorrectly.

I'm just not as obsessed as I used to be and was trying to be a smart ass. You guys called me out lol

wings_unhinged
02-28-2018, 12:48 PM
IGN, GameSpot, etc. are all a joke when it comes to reviews. Watch reviews from independent guys like Angry Joe, TB, and Gameranx.

CaliSuperSport
02-28-2018, 01:01 PM
It's called growing up.

this. There's some incredible games these days, just don't have the time to fully invest in them anymore.

LoL for example is one of the most complex pvp games I've ever played.

jonB89
02-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Games have subjectively gotten better over time, what happens is your interests change.

Fixed in bold.

Also better graphics /=/ better games.

Brozef
02-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Not for me man. I played all the earlier RE games, though out of them I can only vaguely recall RE 4. I enjoyed the chit out of RE 7

It was so short though.

RE 4 is one of my favorites of all time. Maybe #1. That game was made from such a great recipe.

Junsuiakai
03-01-2018, 01:01 AM
this. There's some incredible games these days, just don't have the time to fully invest in them anymore.

LoL for example is one of the most complex pvp games I've ever played.

I played UO for 4 years, FFXI for 2 years and FFXIV for 4 years.... AO for 2 years.. I just can't commit to these games anymore.

Had so many "online" girlfriends though. You guys know w

MiniKingKong
03-01-2018, 01:23 AM
Games have objectively gotten better over time, what happens is your interests change.

I second this. As most brah here mentioned, it is mainly due to the interests change.

JohnRainbo
03-01-2018, 06:46 AM

Why are you talking about? I thought it was the best one since resident evil 1/2. The story was cool as hell.

TMaC828
03-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Seems that a lot of series have gotten ****tier over the years. Graphics are improving but that's about it.

CoD MW and MW2 >> Any CoD that came after them.

GTA SA and VC >> GTA IV and V

Halo 2 & 3 >> Reach, 4, 5

CaliSuperSport
03-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Seems that a lot of series have gotten ****tier over the years. Graphics are improving but that's about it.

CoD MW and MW2 >> Any CoD that came after them.

GTA SA and VC >> GTA IV and V

Halo 2 & 3 >> Reach, 4, 5

tfw will never been 18 again smoking weed and playing MW2 all day.

why even live?