PDA

View Full Version : Mass gainer question!

machiavellides
02-10-2018, 11:16 PM
I am lactose intolerant so cant take whey isolate based mass gainers. I have seen 90% of mass gainers in market for ex-Serious Mass by ON contain maltodextrin as a carb source. So what if I buy maltodextrin separately and mix it with pea protein ? And drink it in between meals? I am having hard time fitting in meals so a shake of 500 cals would help me to put me in surplus.
I want carbs that leave the system fast and makes me hungry after 1 hour. Not oats which makes me feel full . I think most of the mass gainers in market are malto+whey isolate . So is it ok to buy separately and make my own mass gain shake?

gbullock32
02-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Or you could just have some trail mix, peanut butter, some cookies... or any of the plethora of better tasting things.

Mrpb
02-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Yes it's fine. Eat whatever you can to get your weight up.

Mikeez0
02-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but 1kg of sugar is 0.4 euro while malto ~7 euro

machiavellides
02-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Yeah, but 1kg of sugar is 0.4 euro while malto ~7 euro

What? But sugar is simple and malto is complex . Maltodextrin is made up of long chain of molecules .

BrightonBomber
02-11-2018, 11:33 AM
What? But sugar is simple and malto is complex . Maltodextrin is made up of long chain of molecules .

Yeah it's a long chain molecule but it's not really complex at all as it's basically just a chain of glucose molecules. So you'd just be paying for very expensive sugar.

Luca2
02-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Have a protein shake, then eat a bunch of ice cream. Same end result as average mass gainer, just much nicer (and probably cheaper, too).

Edit: just noticed you are lactose-intolerant, but hopefully you get what I meant.

AdamWW
02-11-2018, 01:47 PM
you know what's better than a 500 calories shake?

burritos
sandwiches
huge salads
cereal with a protein shake
stir fry

machiavellides
02-12-2018, 12:59 AM
you know what's better than a 500 calories shake?

burritos
sandwiches
huge salads
cereal with a protein shake
stir fry

I cant fit meals right now . I dont have an appetite no point in recommending me food . You are forgeting sole purpose of mass gainers.

Mrpb
02-12-2018, 01:32 AM
I cant fit meals right now . I dont have an appetite no point in recommending me food . You are forgeting sole purpose of mass gainers.

how about whole milk?

About 640 calories per liter, plenty of protein, carbs and fat.

Mikeez0
02-12-2018, 01:33 AM
I cant fit meals right now . I dont have an appetite no point in recommending me food . You are forgeting sole purpose of mass gainers.Purpose of selling overpriced whey with sugar? Just drink milk with honey, save your money.

machiavellides
02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
how about whole milk?

About 640 calories per liter, plenty of protein, carbs and fat.
I cant drink milk I am lactose intolerant.

Mrpb
02-12-2018, 08:59 AM
I cant drink milk I am lactose intolerant.

Drink anything you can. If you like pea protein with maltodextrin that's fine. Whatever it takes.

Brozef
02-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Ever tried Lactaid? I hear it works well. You can eat or drink any dairy products you wish.

AdamWW
02-12-2018, 09:50 AM

You mean to encourage naive people to throw away good money for a tub of powdered, processed calories?

Naw I didn't forget

machiavellides
02-12-2018, 10:05 AM
You mean to encourage naive people to throw away good money for a tub of powdered, processed calories?

Naw I didn't forget
No I didnt mean that I understand that there is no better things than eating high quality whole food . But mass gainers helps ectomorph ( hardgainer) like us to fill those calories . We cant eat enough. Also things like oats makes us feel full too. I have seen people taking mass gainers and it worked for them. Sometimes you dont have appetite but you can drink a mass gainer to reach your caloric goal.

AdamWW
02-12-2018, 10:06 AM
No I didnt mean that I understand that there is no better things than eating high quality whole food . But mass gainers helps ectomorph ( hardgainer) like us to fill those calories . We cant eat enough. Also things like oats makes us feel full too. I have seen people taking mass gainers and it worked for them. Sometimes you dont have appetite but you can drink a mass gainer to reach your caloric goal.

you're beyond help if you believe any of this

Mrpb
02-12-2018, 10:12 AM
you're beyond help if you believe any of this

Not sure if you remember his other thread but he really needs to gain weight.

The point he's making isn't that crazy: for someone who needs to gain weight liquid calories are a good choice as they make it easy to consume a lot of calories without the satiety issues.

Luca2
02-12-2018, 10:46 AM

The point he's making isn't that crazy: for someone who needs to gain weight liquid calories are a good choice as they make it easy to consume a lot of calories without the satiety issues.

True, but you can get liquid calories by making your own shake instead of paying for overpriced protein + sugar.

AdamWW
02-12-2018, 10:54 AM

liquid calories = good
overpriced powder = much less good

that is my point

Mrpb
02-12-2018, 11:02 AM
liquid calories = good
overpriced powder = much less good

that is my point

I totally agree. Maybe the maltodextrin + pea protein is cheap I don't know.

Budjola
02-12-2018, 11:32 AM
oats and honey will do the same for you for less money but whatever i guess

desslok
02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Over the past few decades helping people out, I have found that people that are too lazy to chew are usually too lazy to workout for very long anyways. So just do whatever works for you for the next few weeks. Good luck!

rhadam
02-12-2018, 05:24 PM
If you're lactose intolerant then a protein isolate should be fine. Have you actually purchased an iso ever? I believe Gaspari Myofusion had lactase added to it, dunno if it still does.

machiavellides
02-13-2018, 02:05 AM
If you're lactose intolerant then a protein isolate should be fine. Have you actually purchased an iso ever? I believe Gaspari Myofusion had lactase added to it, dunno if it still does.
I dont understand whats the problem with me . I cant take whey concentrate nor isolate. I once ordered isopure mass which states "ZERO LACTOSE" but it made me sick for whole night. I was having loose motion and stomach pain.But I can eat ice cream, cheese, yoghurt, Indian cottage cheese, etc. But no milk!

Mrpb
02-13-2018, 02:20 AM
I dont understand whats the problem with me . I cant take whey concentrate nor isolate. I once ordered isopure mass which states "ZERO LACTOSE" but it made me sick for whole night. I was having loose motion and stomach pain.But I can eat ice cream, cheese, yoghurt, Indian cottage cheese, etc. But no milk!

Perfect. Eat everything you can eat. Don't eat anything you can't eat.

philgriffiths
02-13-2018, 02:42 AM
Perfect. Eat everything you can eat. Don't eat anything you can't eat.
Exactamundo!!

If you can eat icecream, get that tub out and go to town with it! Or, take it out the night before, let it melt, then use that for the base of whatever shake you want (if drinking cals are preferable). You will probably have the smoothies that are the envy of this here entire forum if that's the case.