PDA

View Full Version : PC Brahs: Which ROUTER are you using?

DesiredUserphag
02-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Just curious what kind of routers you brahs are using. I picked up the Netgear Nighthawk XR500. Paying for 100mbps from my ISP but only getting 79.9 FTL

PS- Add me if you play Fortnite/RL/CS:GO/PUBG (ezaspusspie)

SwampDog35
02-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Is the 79.9 speedtested over wifi? Did you plug into the router and run a speed test there?

OneWayFS
02-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000). I pay for 100mbps on Comcast and get ~72mbps on fast.com. It is probably higher but I'm streaming video right now.

DesiredUserphag
02-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Is the 79.9 speedtested over wifi? Did you plug into the router and run a speed test there?

Router is plugged into the modem and ran a speed test when I was setting it up. Charter/Spectrum is a POS basically

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Nighthawk is a marketers dream. There is no real technological advantage to the equipment. They have QOS predefined which is nice but not worth the money. The wireless and hardware is not proprietary or more advanced. They use the same radios and chipsets the other routers on the market use...

....and bandwidth. Bandwidth is capacity and doesn't necessarily equal more speed. Speed is a mathematical equation that is defined by distance and the speed of light. If you don't have capacity issues extra bandwidth won't make it any faster or better. Your experience is almost always dictated by something other than network capacity in the world of networking.

The content/gaming provider(s) is rate limiting your connection or TCP/IP windowing rate limits your client/server communications. You will not have faster ping times with more bandwidth. The only way you "need" more bandwidth is if you are using multiple services from multiple devices at the same time. The odds you are using 100mb at your house is near zero. We have 7k employees that stream, surf and access web sites, make calls, video conference, etc and our average utilization is just over 500mb per second. The idea that one person with a couple of devices is going to use 1/5 the bandwidth 7k people use is unrealistic.

The reason they sell 100mb packages is due to the fact people that use 10mb will buy it. Put a bandwidth minitor on your circuit or look in your router and see how much bandwidth you should be paying for...

If you want to improve your experience make sure you have updated drivers, bios and mess with your MTU settings. This ensures that the items within your control are working in an optimum fashion to get the data out on the line which is where you don't control.

FrazettaSilke
02-07-2018, 05:51 PM
I have 75mb at my house because that is the cheapest package. My spikes average 10 to 15 me and if it were an option I would just buy 20mb.

https://i.imgur.com/9okLaXJ.jpg

how mad are you?

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-07-2018, 05:53 PM

how mad are you?

Why would I be mad that you are p***ng money down the drain. In addition you could never use that much bandwidth unless you are a company with a massive web service presence or significant level of services in the cloud...

FrazettaSilke
02-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Why would I be mad that you are p***ng money down the drain. In addition you could never use that much bandwidth unless you are a company with a massive web service presence....

see, i live in a civilized area where gigabit internet is < $55/month

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-07-2018, 05:57 PM
see, i live in a civilized area where gigabit internet is < $55/month

If there is a $20 option, you should get it. In the end you have a Ferrari that can only be driven like a Kia...It looks good but it's dissapointing to drive.

FrazettaSilke
02-07-2018, 06:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZTUo67e.jpg

pretty sure im driving my Ferrari pretty hard

edit, just jumped to 90 MB/s

OneWayFS
02-07-2018, 09:27 PM
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZTUo67e.jpg[/img

Mirin. I pay $60/mo. for 100 mbps, smh

wisdommaster1
02-07-2018, 11:18 PM
[img]https://i.imgur.com/9okLaXJ.jpg[/g]

how mad are you?

what poverty ping, thats 100% worse than mine

RoyalRyy
02-07-2018, 11:24 PM
I have spectrum and I pay for 100 DL but I get 117 :). I use a USB 5ghz wifi adapter for my computer to connect to my 5ghz network and I haven't had any internet trouble since. 5ghz is so much better and more reliable, I love it.

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-08-2018, 05:40 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ZTUo67e.jpg

"Driving it hard" = using 10% of your available bandwidth at the peak of your communication while downloading a game (an activity you probably do a handful of times a year). You are really driving it like a Ferrari! If a Ferrari goes 0-60 in 3 seconds you just managed to pull off an impressive 0-60 run in 30 seconds. I bet all Kia models could pull off that feat. You kind of proved my point, no?

Now you can go back to your regular scheduled programming in which you use 5mb of bandwidth 99.999999999999999% of the time which is .2% of your "available" bandwidth.

You plan your bandwidth consumption around the 95th percentile not the .000000000001 percentile.....

Netflix recommends you have 5mb of bandwidth for their HD content. Netflix is by FAR the most bandwidth intensive app the vast majority of home users access on a regular basis. They have "super HD" that requires 25mb which they have almost zero content in this category. If you are streaming super HD to two TVs AND have two people playing on line video games you only need about 60mb (which is absolutely non-typical for the vast majority of homes)....The vast majority of people couldn't tell the difference in 20mb vs 100....But people keep buying bandwidth because more bandwidth is "better" and "faster" and the providers keep stuffing money in their pockets and laughing all the way to the bank.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Zerafian
02-08-2018, 06:05 AM
asus 3200...overkill but works perfect with my 1GB fiber.

wings_unhinged
02-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Ubuiqiti Edgerouter X

I pay $80 for 10Mbps. That's a huge upgrade from my previous plan, $110 for 1Mbps+landline.

FrazettaSilke
02-08-2018, 10:47 AM
"Driving it hard" = using 10% of your available bandwidth at the peak of your communication

didn't read past this because you are an idiot

you do know that 1 gigabit = 125 MBs, right?

90/125= 72% of bandwidth, and that's not even using my SSD

but please, continue being salty

OneWayFS
02-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Ubuiqiti Edgerouter X

I pay $80 for 10Mbps. That's a huge upgrade from my previous plan, $110 for 1Mbps+landline.

Was gonna say this can't be real life but then saw you're in Alaska, I'm surprised you guys have 10 mbps out there

wings_unhinged
02-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Was gonna say this can't be real life but then saw you're in Alaska, I'm surprised you guys have 10 mbps out there

Yeah. :( And we've only had DSL/cable for 12 years.

ISPs in the Anchorage area offer gigabit speeds, but it's too far way (~300 mi. north of Anchorage).

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-08-2018, 05:22 PM
didn't read past this because you are an idiot

you do know that 1 gigabit = 125 MBs, right?

90/125= 72% of bandwidth, and that's not even using my SSD

but please, continue being salty

No ...1gb = 1024mb

http://www.unitconversion.org/data-storage/megabits-to-gigabits-conversion.html

You have 940mb...Not a full gigabit.

-Approximately 940mb of available bandwidth from your first speed test.

-90mb of peak consumption during download of game

=

You used approximately 10% of available bandwidth....or 9.574468% if you want to get specific.

So no...not an idiot and not salty. I don't like to see people take their hard earned cash and flush in down the toilet without being informed. Would you buy 400lb of chicken each week if your family could realistically only eat 10lb of chicken? But it's your money...

...and what does your SSD (solid state drive) have to do with any of this?

FrazettaSilke
02-08-2018, 06:39 PM
No ...1gb = 1024mb

=

You used approximately 10% of available bandwidth....or 9.574468% if you want to get specific.

So no...not an idiot and not salty. I don't like to see people take their hard earned cash and flush in down the toilet without being informed. Would you buy 400lb of chicken each week if your family could realistically only eat 10lb of chicken? But it's your money...

...and what does your SSD (solid state drive) have to do with any of this?

dude...

Speedtest uses Mbps for measurement, Steam uses MBs

1 gigabit is 1024 megabits, NOT megaBYTEs.

There are approximately 8 megabits in a megaBYTE.

Steam is using megaBYTEs per second, not megabits per second.

90 megabytes = 720 megabits

720/1000= 72%

or if you want to get specific 720/940 = 76.59574468%

As to your SSD question, normal hdds have a write speed of around ~100-120 megabytes per second, while NVME drives have ~800+ megabytes per second. i was reaching the limits of my hdd, whereas my ssd would be just getting started

Archangel_Lost
02-08-2018, 06:58 PM
one of the half dozen crap routers I've accumulated over the years in my junk drawer. Only have 60mbps anyway and it's never given me any problems.

jafomofo
02-08-2018, 07:35 PM
No ...1gb = 1024mb

=

capital B you ****ing cretin. he's right, you're wrong. That said, who the **** cares how quickly you can download games from steam.

JaegerBrah
02-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Whatever one they gave me when they installed my Internet. I'm a retard when it comes to routers and whatnot but would there be a way to utilize it further without buying a new one all together?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7042572837.png

how mad are you?

I'm not even mad, I'm jelly as fuk tbh. They could announce that in 24h Net Neutrality was about to severely limit your downloads and throttle the fuk out of you and you could download enough media and content to last you until death.

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-08-2018, 08:16 PM
dude...

Speedtest uses Mbps for measurement, Steam uses MBs

1 gigabit is 1024 megabits, NOT megaBYTEs.

There are approximately 8 megabits in a megaBYTE.

Steam is using megaBYTEs per second, not megabits per second.

90 megabytes = 720 megabits

720/1000= 72%

or if you want to get specific 720/940 = 76.59574468%

As to your SSD question, normal hdds have a write speed of around ~100-120 megabytes per second, while NVME drives have ~800+ megabytes per second. i was reaching the limits of my hdd, whereas my ssd would be just getting started

Copy and pasted right from steams site on their latest client..

General

Changed display of download speeds to bits per second, eg Mbps, instead of MB/sec, so it is easier to compare with network and internet connection speed

FrazettaSilke
02-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Copy and pasted right from steams site on their latest client..

General

Changed display of download speeds to bits per second, eg Mbps, instead of MB/sec, so it is easier to compare with network and internet connection speed

https://i.imgur.com/ntegJl7.gif

https://i.imgur.com/2ate4nc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H6VkE0F.jpg

just stop.

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-08-2018, 08:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ntegJl7.gif

https://i.imgur.com/2ate4nc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H6VkE0F.jpg

just stop.

The standard setting is Mbps and that's the numbers I ran. Am I supposed to guess you went in and changed it? OK...

FrazettaSilke
02-08-2018, 08:52 PM
The standard setting is Mbps and that's the numbers I ran. Am I supposed to guess you went in and changed it? OK...

1) MB/s != mbps

2) MB/s is the default setting on Steam

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-08-2018, 08:55 PM
1) MB/s != mbps

2) MB/s is the default setting on Steam

Read the release notes I posted. The default is Mbps...Go read the release notes for yourself if you want. The release note even outlined they changed it to prevent confusion in conversion.....but keep arguing despite the release notes.

Edit - I just checked my steam settings. I've never messed with them and they are Mpbs...

FrazettaSilke
02-08-2018, 08:59 PM
No read the release notes I posted. The default is Mbps...Go read the release notes for yourself if you want. The release note even outlined they changed it to prevent confusion in conversion.....but keep arguing despite the release notes.

read about the difference between MB/s vs Mbps first

Have been on Steam for 8 years, ain't changed a thing

Scarrdbutsmartr
02-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Yeah I will get right on that...

Jax05
02-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Cisco 12000 Series

rectifryer
02-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Nighthawk is a marketers dream. There is no real technological advantage to the equipment. They have QOS predefined which is nice but not worth the money. The wireless and hardware is not proprietary or more advanced. They use the same radios and chipsets the other routers on the market use...

....and bandwidth. Bandwidth is capacity and doesn't necessarily equal more speed. Speed is a mathematical equation that is defined by distance and the speed of light. If you don't have capacity issues extra bandwidth won't make it any faster or better. Your experience is almost always dictated by something other than network capacity in the world of networking.

The content/gaming provider(s) is rate limiting your connection or TCP/IP windowing rate limits your client/server communications. You will not have faster ping times with more bandwidth. The only way you "need" more bandwidth is if you are using multiple services from multiple devices at the same time. The odds you are using 100mb at your house is near zero. We have 7k employees that stream, surf and access web sites, make calls, video conference, etc and our average utilization is just over 500mb per second. The idea that one person with a couple of devices is going to use 1/5 the bandwidth 7k people use is unrealistic.

The reason they sell 100mb packages is due to the fact people that use 10mb will buy it. Put a bandwidth minitor on your circuit or look in your router and see how much bandwidth you should be paying for...

If you want to improve your experience make sure you have updated drivers, bios and mess with your MTU settings. This ensures that the items within your control are working in an optimum fashion to get the data out on the line which is where you don't control.

I stream 4k on multiple devices. Your argument is irrelevant.

I'd say 85% of people actually care about latency more but don't understand that, though. It's also a parameter that no ISP is EVER going to put out to consumers so we're fukked until then.

FrazettaSilke
02-09-2018, 12:20 PM
I stream 4k on multiple devices. Your argument is irrelevant.

don't get him riled up again

wings_unhinged
02-09-2018, 01:54 PM

Have been on Steam for 8 years, ain't changed a thing

Been on Steam for about 7 myself and it's always been MB/s.

Grevl
02-10-2018, 06:30 AM
"Driving it hard" = using 10% of your available bandwidth at the peak of your communication while downloading a game (an activity you probably do a handful of times a year). You are really driving it like a Ferrari! If a Ferrari goes 0-60 in 3 seconds you just managed to pull off an impressive 0-60 run in 30 seconds. I bet all Kia models could pull off that feat. You kind of proved my point, no?

I wanted to laugh at you but a month ago i didnt know the difference either

I always wondered why we get 10% actual download speed compared to what we see on speed tests

Its because speed tests are generally measured in megaBIT and downloading files is measured in megaBYTE.

Anyway, i use an EdgeRouter X. With its smart QoS enabled (reduces bufferbloat), I can download games while playing and not see a ping spike on a 100/5 connection.

wasp9166
02-10-2018, 06:47 AM
nighthawk ac1750

wings_unhinged
02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Anyway, i use an EdgeRouter X. With its smart QoS enabled (reduces bufferbloat), I can download games while playing and not see a ping spike on a 100/5 connection.

+1 for Edgerouter X... I just upgraded myself. Paired it with a Ubiquiti WAP.

I need to set up my QOS though. I hate my games lagging while the wife watches Netflix.

Grevl
02-11-2018, 12:28 PM
+1 for Edgerouter X... I just upgraded myself. Paired it with a Ubiquiti WAP.

I need to set up my QOS though. I hate my games lagging while the wife watches Netflix.
Yeah i got the UAP AC lite too. Seems very powerful and pretty cool features once you set it up.

To do the QoS, just add a 'Smart Que'. Put in your download and upload speed, apply. It completely got rid of my constant ping spikes.

freeburn
02-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Why would I be mad that you are p***ng money down the drain. In addition you could never use that much bandwidth unless you are a company with a massive web service presence or significant level of services in the cloud...

How is it money down the drain? I have 100mbps. When I download a game from steam it goes about 8 mb/s on the download. My buddy who has the same connection as that pic downloads the same game as me in like 5 minutes while mine will take somewhere around 2-3 hours if its a huge game like gta 5.

The difference is obviously night and day with download speeds so I don't really understand what you're getting at. As someone who torrents movies and has alot of steam games to download I would kill for that internet speed.

Edit: nevermind I should have read the rest of the posts before responding. You're clearly retarded