PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a plateau

Syre96
01-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Hello all! Long story short, I have not lost weight in almost 2 months. I practice intermittent fasting, and I try to eat 1500 calories a day, although a lot of the time I struggle getting that high. I go to the gym 5x/week and I strength train primarily with about 10-20 minutes of cardio at the end. I'm also 21 yrs female if that matters. Since Dec 2017, I have not been able to dip below 158 and it is getting quite frustrating since I feel I am doing a lot of work in the gym to not see results on the scale. Does anyone know any tips to break this plateau or maybe if I'm not eating enough calories? Like I said, sometimes I can't quite make it to 1500 and might be around 13-1400 on a normal day. My diet usually consist of the same 3 meals everyday because I don't have time to cook/shop new recipes. meal 1 will be a turkey burger on wheat bread with 2 boiled eggs, meal 2 is a 40z chicken breast with greens, and meal 3 is salmon w some kind of vegetables. I will also have a protein bar before workouts and snacks like yogurt cups. Could use some insight here

Plateauplower
01-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Hello all! Long story short, I have not lost weight in almost 2 months. I practice intermittent fasting, and I try to eat 1500 calories a day, although a lot of the time I struggle getting that high. I go to the gym 5x/week and I strength train primarily with about 10-20 minutes of cardio at the end. I'm also 21 yrs female if that matters. Since Dec 2017, I have not been able to dip below 158 and it is getting quite frustrating since I feel I am doing a lot of work in the gym to not see results on the scale. Does anyone know any tips to break this plateau or maybe if I'm not eating enough calories? Like I said, sometimes I can't quite make it to 1500 and might be around 13-1400 on a normal day. My diet usually consist of the same 3 meals everyday because I don't have time to cook/shop new recipes. meal 1 will be a turkey burger on wheat bread with 2 boiled eggs, meal 2 is a 40z chicken breast with greens, and meal 3 is salmon w some kind of vegetables. I will also have a protein bar before workouts and snacks like yogurt cups. Could use some insight here

If you are not losing weight over that time frame, you are not in a calorie deficit. Make sure you are accurately tracking your intake. Stalls happen, if it’s more than 3 weeks you probably need to adjust something, very well could be your math....Consistency is key, a big cheat day can eliminate a weekly deficit pretty easily.

yoojungl
01-30-2018, 03:57 PM
If you are not losing weight over that time frame, you are not in a calorie deficit. Make sure you are accurately tracking your intake. Stalls happen, if it’s more than 3 weeks you probably need to adjust something, very well could be your math....Consistency is key, a big cheat day can eliminate a weekly deficit pretty easily.

your name says it all ;)

Syre96
01-30-2018, 08:16 PM

Would it be better if I try to lower my net calories for the day? I try to track my foods as closely as I can and eat lean meats/vegetables. For example, would 1300 create a good caloric defect or is that too extreme?

kusok
01-30-2018, 08:44 PM
You killed your metabolism with too few cals and too much exercise (and possibly medications that tend to do this as well) that your body adjusted to really well, and your body probably shot down some non essential functions also in the process, don't be surprised if you have low testosterone etc. Get it checked out. Don't even need doctor, just Amazon $50 and check your testosterone.

I knew someone in a similar boat to yours. Do the following:

- obviously make sure you're actually carefully counting your calories. Mistakes are common.
- if you're on birth control check your testosterone and make sure you're on low hormonal pills that don't kill your muscle gains.
- Raise your calories! It's to give your body a break, to boost your metabolism. Gotta get that oven fired up again! Go gradually to say 1900 cals and stay there for a few weeks. Then you can lower again to 1600. Do not lift more than 3x per week. Limit your cardio to 3x weekly 30 mins tops. Intervals! When lifting make sure you lift heavy, like guys, low reps etc. none of that pink dumbbell stuff. Follow a professionally designed program.
- Post your macros here, gotta make sure you're getting enough fat and protein.

Those things are a good start ^^^. Then take it from there.

ErikTheElectric
01-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Count more accurately.

Syre96
01-30-2018, 09:15 PM
You killed your metabolism with too few cals and too much exercise (and possibly medications that tend to do this as well) that your body adjusted to really well, and your body probably shot down some non essential functions also in the process, don't be surprised if you have low testosterone etc. Get it checked out. Don't even need doctor, just Amazon $50 and check your testosterone.

I knew someone in a similar boat to yours. Do the following:

- obviously make sure you're actually carefully counting your calories. Mistakes are common.
- if you're on birth control check your testosterone and make sure you're on low hormonal pills that don't kill your muscle gains.
- Raise your calories! It's to give your body a break, to boost your metabolism. Gotta get that oven fired up again! Go gradually to say 1900 cals and stay there for a few weeks. Then you can lower again to 1600. Do not lift more than 3x per week. Limit your cardio to 3x weekly 30 mins tops. Intervals! When lifting make sure you lift heavy, like guys, low reps etc. none of that pink dumbbell stuff. Follow a professionally designed program.
- Post your macros here, gotta make sure you're getting enough fat and protein.

Those things are a good start ^^^. Then take it from there.

My macros are 127g protein/148g carbs/66g fat. I have lately been trying to cut down on processed carbs as I have an endomorph body type. So what you're saying is I need to increase my daily calories, not decrease them? Most people are telling me I'm not in a high enough deficit, but I also feel I might have overworked myself like you said because I really gravitate towards weights. Do you have any tips on food? I always seem to run out of ideas on what to eat. Also, I tend to lift heavy when I do lift and I try to go up weights every couple weeks, no pink dumbbells lol.

kusok
01-30-2018, 09:41 PM
My macros are 127g protein/148g carbs/66g fat. I have lately been trying to cut down on processed carbs as I have an endomorph body type. So what you're saying is I need to increase my daily calories, not decrease them? Most people are telling me I'm not in a high enough deficit, but I also feel I might have overworked myself like you said because I really gravitate towards weights. Do you have any tips on food? I always seem to run out of ideas on what to eat. Also, I tend to lift heavy when I do lift and I try to go up weights every couple weeks, no pink dumbbells lol.

Yes, womens' bodies adjust and adopt quick to lower caloric intake, so you need a break to reset a couple of hormones, then you can diet again. Enjoy your food. Experiment. Did you say you did IF? IF is not for everyone. Same with Keto/low carb diets, some people do great on them, some do badly. Also, try to lower stress.

Sometime down the road if you're still not seeing results a low carb approach may be worth a try. I wold also do supplements if I was you, just to make sure you're not missing anything. Do multi, magnesium/calcium, vit D, vit C, fish oil if you don't eat fatty fish that day. Green tea, lots of clean water. Raw leafy greens.

Syre96
01-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Yes, womens' bodies adjust and adopt quick to lower caloric intake, so you need a break to reset a couple of hormones, then you can diet again. Enjoy your food. Experiment. Did you say you did IF? IF is not for everyone. Same with Keto/low carb diets, some people do great on them, some do badly. Also, try to lower stress.

Sometime down the road if you're still not seeing results a low carb approach may be worth a try. I wold also do supplements if I was you, just to make sure you're not missing anything. Do multi, magnesium/calcium, vit D, vit C, fish oil if you don't eat fatty fish that day. Green tea, lots of clean water. Raw leafy greens.

Okay, so I will try doing a reset like you mentioned before and raise my calories to about 1800 calories. Should I stop IF during this time? My eating window is from 1-9 and I normally dont feel hungry in the morning so I have gotten used to eating in that 8 hours. And what about the gym? Can I still do my routine during this reset or should I reduce a little?

kusok
01-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Okay, so I will try doing a reset like you mentioned before and raise my calories to about 1800 calories. Should I stop IF during this time? And what about the gym? Can I still do my routine during this reset?

lifting 3, maximum 4 days weekly. Out of the gym in 1 hour. Use full body or upper/lower, make sure to use a real routine, not something you came up with, but something from stickies here or some other professionally designed routine.

IF is fine, I'm just saying some people do great on it, some do badly. Something to experiment with.

Syre96
01-30-2018, 10:35 PM
lifting 3, maximum 4 days weekly. Out of the gym in 1 hour. Use full body or upper/lower, make sure to use a real routine, not something you came up with, but something from stickies here or some other professionally designed routine.

IF is fine, I'm just saying some people do great on it, some do badly. Something to experiment with.

Alright, thank you so much. I'll try switching it up with your advice. Hopefully this works, because people just keep yelling at me to eat less when I know I do a good job tracking & counting the calories I take in during the day.

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 01:17 AM
A 2 week diet break can be a good idea in your case. This is 2 weeks eating at maintenance. After that you should lower calories and you'll start losing weight again. If not, you're eating too many calories.

Plateauplower
01-31-2018, 01:22 AM
Would it be better if I try to lower my net calories for the day? I try to track my foods as closely as I can and eat lean meats/vegetables. For example, would 1300 create a good caloric defect or is that too extreme?

Your metabolism isn’t “broken” from eating 1500 calories per day. I think something is off with your math. When you say your “net calories” (that implies some subtraction), are you subtracting your “exercise” calorie expenditure from your daily intake? If so you are eating more than 1500, tracking calories burned is completely inaccurate.

Are you using a food scale to weigh portions or using volumetric measurements? Or guesssing?

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 02:57 AM
I think Plateauplower is right, you're probably not tracking your calories 100% accurately. You need to weigh everything. And don't subtract calories burned.

Syre96
01-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Your metabolism isn’t “broken” from eating 1500 calories per day. I think something is off with your math. When you say your “net calories” (that implies some subtraction), are you subtracting your “exercise” calorie expenditure from your daily intake? If so you are eating more than 1500, tracking calories burned is completely inaccurate.

Are you using a food scale to weigh portions or using volumetric measurements? Or guesssing?

By net calories I just mean the total number of calories I eat in a day. I usually exercise at the end of the day, and I try not to eat back my excercise calories. And I just recently bought a food scale and have been using that to measure my portions. I will say I didn't own a food scale until last week, so maybe I was having too large of portions

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 08:35 AM
By net calories I just mean the total number of calories I eat in a day. I usually exercise at the end of the day, and I try not to eat back my excercise calories. And I just recently bought a food scale and have been using that to measure my portions. I will say I didn't own a food scale until last week, so maybe I was having too large of portions

It's very likely. At 158 pounds, 1500 calories and exercise 5x per week you'd likely lose weight.

PS. make sure to follow a good lifting program otherwise your gym results will be disappointing. Fierce 5 Novice routine is a good example.

Syre96
01-31-2018, 08:50 AM
It's very likely. At 158 pounds, 1500 calories and exercise 5x per week you'd likely lose weight.

PS. make sure to follow a good lifting program otherwise your gym results will be disappointing. Fierce 5 Novice routine is a good example.

So would you recommend I lower my calories for the day or stick with the 1500 and just try to track more accurately? I would love to reduce my calories just so I don't have to always try to figure out what else I'm gonna eat in a week. Also thank you for the recommendation, I will look into Fierce 5 Novice

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 08:56 AM
So would you recommend I lower my calories for the day or stick with the 1500 and just try to track more accurately? I would love to reduce my calories just so I don't have to always try to figure out what else I'm gonna eat in a week. Also thank you for the recommendation, I will look into Fierce 5 Novice

Then lower the calories. See what happens on the scale. At 158 pounds losing 1 pound per week should be easy.

Plateauplower
01-31-2018, 08:57 AM

Give it a few weeks at an accurately measured (with new food scale) 1500 cals (you will likely be a little hungrier), if you don't lose weight after a few weeks reduce intake another 100. Volumetric measuring (measuring cups, spoons etc) can be off by 30% (or more), meaning 30% more food than you thought you were eating (30% of 1500 is 450 calories potentially putting you at an actual intake of 1950-or more) If the foods measured were calorie dense foods such as oils, nuts, etc it would be even further off in terms of total calories, than less calorie dense foods like oats, rice, etc.

A food scale is indispensable for accurately tracking intake. Eventually you will get a better handle on what portions "look like" but I continue to use a food scale in both caloric surpluses or deficits. Something that usually shocks most people is to pour a bowl of cereal as you would if not using a food scale, then weigh it. You might be surprised that your "140 calorie" bowl of cereal is closer to 500-600 calories....

Use the food scale for everything, even condiments, which can be surprisingly high calorie. A serving of ketchup or BBQ sauce isn't much....

Syre96
01-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Give it a few weeks at an accurately measured (with new food scale) 1500 cals (you will likely be a little hungrier), if you don't lose weight after a few weeks reduce intake another 100. Volumetric measuring (measuring cups, spoons etc) can be off by 30% (or more), meaning 30% more food than you thought you were eating (30% of 1500 is 450 calories potentially putting you at an actual intake of 1950-or more) If the foods measured were calorie dense foods such as oils, nuts, etc it would be even further off in terms of total calories, than less calorie dense foods like oats, rice, etc.

A food scale is indispensable for accurately tracking intake. Eventually you will get a better handle on what portions "look like" but I continue to use a food scale in both caloric surpluses or deficits. Something that usually shocks most people is to pour a bowl of cereal as you would if not using a food scale, then weigh it. You might be surprised that your "140 calorie" bowl of cereal is closer to 500-600 calories....

Use the food scale for everything, even condiments, which can be surprisingly high calorie. A serving of ketchup or BBQ sauce isn't much....

Alright, I will try tracking my calories more accurately and see if that breaks this plateau which has been driving me crazy. Any advice as far as the gym?

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 09:06 AM
Alright, I will try tracking my calories more accurately and see if that breaks this plateau which has been driving me crazy. Any advice as far as the gym?

You haven't lost any weight in 2 months. There's no need to wait a few more weeks. If you want to lower calories you can do it right now.

When you're dieting and doing IF your appetite can be suppressed. You don't need to force yourself to eat more calories, especially when you haven't lost weight for several months.

Plateauplower
01-31-2018, 09:09 AM

Fierce 5 or any other Novice program that focuses on compound exercises and a good progression system. You need to lift weights, and get stronger. Training hard is not going to make you look like a dude I promise. My wife squats, deadlifts and benches like a champ for her petite figure, it hasn't made her "too muscular". The fact is most women who look "fit" and "in shape" are like animals in the gym and out train most guys in my experience.

Syre96
01-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Fierce 5 or any other Novice program that focuses on compound exercises and a good progression system. You need to lift weights, and get stronger. Training hard is not going to make you look like a dude I promise. My wife squats, deadlifts and benches like a champ for her petite figure, it hasn't made her "too muscular". The fact is most women who look "fit" and "in shape" are like animals in the gym and out train most guys in my experience.

Trust me, I'm not afraid to lift. I'm aware that women who have those body builder physiques are using outside supplements. I lift now, but I'm definitely trying to get myself to lift heavier

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 09:22 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that IF has been shown to reduce TDEE in some cases. If you find it hard to lose weight on IF you can try a regular meal schedule. It's not like IF offers any special benefits.

Brahfessa
01-31-2018, 09:29 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that IF has been shown to reduce TDEE in some cases.

By how much?

Plateauplower
01-31-2018, 09:31 AM
Trust me, I'm not afraid to lift. I'm aware that women who have those body builder physiques are using outside supplements. I lift now, but I'm definitely trying to get myself to lift heavier

Perfect. A solid beginner program will put you on the right track to make you stronger and overall balanced (no glaring weaknesses from doing a half baked program of a zillion isolation exercises), with less potential for injury in the gym. The entire process is VERY simple, its just not easy. Focusing on the basics of good training and eating to your goal, making minor adjustments as necessary, is pretty much all it takes.

Syre96
01-31-2018, 09:31 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that IF has been shown to reduce TDEE in some cases. If you find it hard to lose weight on IF you can try a regular meal schedule. It's not like IF offers any special benefits.

I was trying to stick with IF because it helped me lose 10lbs within a few weeks and my eating window just works with how my classes/work schedule is so I usually just end up staying within my 8hr span, but maybe I will try coming off it for a while

Syre96
01-31-2018, 09:38 AM
Perfect. A solid beginner program will put you on the right track to make you stronger and overall balanced (no glaring weaknesses from doing a half baked program of a zillion isolation exercises), with less potential for injury in the gym. The entire process is VERY simple, its just not easy. Focusing on the basics of good training and eating to your goal, making minor adjustments as necessary, is pretty much all it takes.

I kinda like the routine I follow now, but I'll definitely look into the program. Anything that'll improve my strength is a go

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 09:47 AM
By how much?

In this study after 2 weeks on an IF schedule Resting Energy Expenditure decreased by ~60 calories on average, in some people by as much as ~200 calories.

Could be more pronounced when being on IF for a long time. I wouldn't worry about it if you're still losing weight as desired.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/90/5/1244/4598111?searchresult=1

Plateauplower
01-31-2018, 09:48 AM
I kinda like the routine I follow now, but I'll definitely look into the program. Anything that'll improve my strength is a go

Well if you like what you are doing you are more likely to continue doing it than something you don't enjoy. Any good beginner program is fine, there are lots of them. However, if you are doing what I see a lot of people doing in the gym, which is a bunch of random "stuff" it will likely not produce the results you want, but if you enjoy it its your time and goals, not mine. I'm honest enough to state that there are days (not every day) that I hate the thought of doing work sets of squats, or deadlifts, but for me they are merely a means to a desired result, and maximize my efficiency of time spent in the gym. There are a lot of people that I see consistently go to the gym and "work out" toiling away doing silly things and they look EXACTLY the same year after year. YMMV.

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 09:51 AM

Are you training every muscle group only once per week? If so, that's suboptimal.

You'd probably get better results by training full body 3x per week.

Syre96
01-31-2018, 10:03 AM
Are you training every muscle group only once per week? If so, that's suboptimal.

You'd probably get better results by training full body 3x per week.

Monday-Chest/Back
Tuesday-Glutes/Abs
Wednesday-Arms(Bicep/Tricep/Shoulders and I try to sneak some back exercises in there)
Thursday I go to this group fitness class run by a friend of mine which is either lower body or some type of "bootcamp" set up
Friday-Rest
Sat-Legs
Sunday is usually for whatever muscle I wanna hit again which is usually arms or back

Mrpb
01-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Monday-Chest/Back
Tuesday-Glutes/Abs
Wednesday-Arms(Bicep/Tricep/Shoulders and I try to sneak some back exercises in there)
Thursday I go to this group fitness class run by a friend of mine which is either lower body or some type of "bootcamp" set up
Friday-Rest
Sat-Legs
Sunday is usually for whatever muscle I wanna hit again which is usually arms or back

That program is far from ideal. I expect you'll get better results on Fierce 5 or any other well built 3x per week full body program.

shadowrider123
01-31-2018, 12:27 PM

This. I've tried to lose weight in the past but never could. This time I'm being smart and got a scale and I'm shocked how little food we have to eat. Was a wake up call to find out one drumstick baked has almost 400 calories and I'm use to eating 4

Plateauplower
01-31-2018, 12:53 PM
This. I've tried to lose weight in the past but never could. This time I'm being smart and got a scale and I'm shocked how little food we have to eat. Was a wake up call to find out one drumstick baked has almost 400 calories and I'm use to eating 4

That sounds like a lot for normal sized drumstick, even with the skin, must be some big fuggin chickens :D

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-roasted-chicken-drumstick-with-skin_f-ZmlkPTk1MDM3.html

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=baked+chicken+drumstick

https://www.fitday.com/webfit/nutrition/All_Foods/Poultry/Chicken_drumstick_with_or_without_bone_roasted_ski n_eaten.html

Ya, its an eye opener when you see what serving sizes are. I have a tendency to overeat too without a food scale. It does get easier over time though, you do start to adjust to the lower volume of food. Some strategies to consider when first starting out is to choose low calorie high volume foods - fresh veggies, and foods with high fiber content that provide a lot of bulk for the total calories. Don't be afraid of fats and sacrifice those to fit more "bulky food" though, try to aim for a minimum of 80-90g per day IMO (if you have a lot of weight to lose you don't need .4 or .5g /lb). Fats are essential and do provide a good deal of satiation along with being essential for hormone production.

Keto type diets can be effective for some as well, but you are really reducing your food volume on that type of diet, and its not for everyone, just another tool that works well for some people. For myself, carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc drive my hunger through the roof, by significantly reducing them, it allows me to get by on deficit calories with much less hunger.

Syre96
02-01-2018, 09:31 AM
That sounds like a lot for normal sized drumstick, even with the skin, must be some big fuggin chickens :D

Ya, its an eye opener when you see what serving sizes are. I have a tendency to overeat too without a food scale. It does get easier over time though, you do start to adjust to the lower volume of food. Some strategies to consider when first starting out is to choose low calorie high volume foods - fresh veggies, and foods with high fiber content that provide a lot of bulk for the total calories. Don't be afraid of fats and sacrifice those to fit more "bulky food" though, try to aim for a minimum of 80-90g per day IMO (if you have a lot of weight to lose you don't need .4 or .5g /lb). Fats are essential and do provide a good deal of satiation along with being essential for hormone production.

Keto type diets can be effective for some as well, but you are really reducing your food volume on that type of diet, and its not for everyone, just another tool that works well for some people. For myself, carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc drive my hunger through the roof, by significantly reducing them, it allows me to get by on deficit calories with much less hunger.

Thank you for all your advice! I'm going to put your advice into use when I return to college this week and hopefully break this plateau!

Syre96
02-01-2018, 09:31 AM
That program is far from ideal. I expect you'll get better results on Fierce 5 or any other well built 3x per week full body program.
Alright, I will look into the program and switch things up. Thanks