PDA

View Full Version : Does running on low carbs make you mentally tired?

Rebuilt3
01-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Hi All quick question. Ive started cutting last week, running 2100 calories per day to help drop my bodyfat level down ( upwards 30% im thinking ). Anywho , i've remapped my types of eating completely. Rather then eating cookies, pizza, and whatever I want i am now tracking it all with the MyFitnessPal app. So far I am able to hit my calorie goals , however some days im undereating by 600-800 calories just due to not being hungry enough to eat anything else.

My weight routine is about 4-5 Days a week , followed by a minimum of 20 mins of cardio.
My diet is primarily proteins and lots of green vegetables. My carbs are usually in the morning for breakfast only. I'm probably around 60-70 grams of carbs a day.

I've noticed since i've switched up eating past week, i feel mentally tired. I am studying some hard topics again in uni, however I feel like im not retaining information as much. Am i just overall tired or does the switch usually make one tired? Other then that I feel quite good so far and feel good overall.

Mrpb
01-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Low calories will make you tired.

Low carbs doesn't necessarily make one tired. Some people perform better, some worse. But it usually requires getting used to.

WolfRose7
01-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Sounds like sleep/stress from uni work could well be having some impact too tbh.

Just personally I'd more associate low carbs with lack of physical energy rather than mental,
but as Mrpb pointed out low calories in general will certainly have an impact on both

ironwill2008
01-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Hi All quick question. Ive started cutting last week, running 2100 calories per day to help drop my bodyfat level down ( upwards 30% im thinking ). Anywho , i've remapped my types of eating completely. Rather then eating cookies, pizza, and whatever I want i am now tracking it all with the MyFitnessPal app. So far I am able to hit my calorie goals , however some days im undereating by 600-800 calories just due to not being hungry enough to eat anything else.

My weight routine is about 4-5 Days a week , followed by a minimum of 20 mins of cardio.
My diet is primarily proteins and lots of green vegetables. My carbs are usually in the morning for breakfast only. I'm probably around 60-70 grams of carbs a day.

I've noticed since i've switched up eating past week, i feel mentally tired. I am studying some hard topics again in uni, however I feel like im not retaining information as much. Am i just overall tired or does the switch usually make one tired? Other then that I feel quite good so far and feel good overall.

What's your height and weight?

Rebuilt3
01-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Hi , thanks for all the replies , just wanted to make sure that it’s okay to run the diet like I am.

My weight is about 230 lbs currently , 5’11. 24 y/o. Started at a lil over 240 lbs two weeks ago. Very happy with my gym progress to as I’m still gaining strength. I’ve only been consistent with exercising past few months again)

Mrpb
01-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Hi , thanks for all the replies , just wanted to make sure that it’s okay to run the diet like I am.

My weight is about 230 lbs currently , 5’11. 24 y/o. Started at a lil over 240 lbs two weeks ago

Losing 2 pounds per week is doable. More will be tough.

If you don't want to do keto you'll probably feel better by eating more carbs. If you want to do keto I suggest avoiding carbs all together.

Tyler2106
01-18-2018, 01:03 PM
So far I am able to hit my calorie goals , however some days im undereating by 600-800 calories just due to not being hungry enough to eat anything else.

This seems like your issue. 2100 calories isn't many calories to begin with, but eating 1300-1500 calories some days because you're not hungry enough is way to few of calories. If you're somehow having troubles eating 2100 calories then you need to eat more calorie dense foods. If you can fit a few cookies or few slices of pizza in your daily calories and macros, do that, but don't starve yourself at 1300-1500 calories a day.

screwnuts
01-18-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm more inclined to think that it's the stress that's burning you out, but it won't hurt you to eat more carbs. And those days where you only hit 1500 calories probably aren't helping.

Make sure you're getting adequate sleep too.

It's not uncommon to feel off for a few days when you make a major change in your diet. You'll get used to it most likely. Shifting to low carbs can sometimes affect your electrolytes (this is what causes Keto flu). Increasing your salt intake and/or supplementing with magnesium and potassium could help. Or just drink a couple Powerade Zeros.

Rebuilt3
01-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Okay Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll keep the calories up towards the 2100 mark more , even if i have to eat a few spoons of natural peanut butter. I'll also try those powerades mentioned and supplements

pogioli4
01-18-2018, 02:25 PM
a lot of good answers so far. something to keep in mind though, the brain is the only organ that can't run solely off of ketone bodies. now the protein you're getting can be restructured and your necessary sugars can be formed from that, but just make sure you're getting enough.
obviously your fat intake is gonna be the key role in a healthy endocrine system, so there's really two ways the diet can potentially be detrimental to mental clarity. doesn't mean it will be.
just reinforcing the fact you should be vigilant on a regimine like this.

I'm more inclined to think that it's the stress that's burning you out, but it won't hurt you to eat more carbs. And those days where you only hit 1500 calories probably aren't helping.

Make sure you're getting adequate sleep too.

It's not uncommon to feel off for a few days when you make a major change in your diet. You'll get used to it most likely. Shifting to low carbs can sometimes affect your electrolytes (this is what causes Keto flu). Increasing your salt intake and/or supplementing with magnesium and potassium could help. Or just drink a couple Powerade Zeros.

true. last time I ran keto I upped my sodium intake like mad. with all the water I was drinking it helped my muscles stay full longer too.

Budjola
01-18-2018, 04:50 PM
not really to be honest but all of us respond differently. im running keto atm, actually been on it for 21 day now and i dont crave carbs at all, usually im around 25-30 net carbs for the day and my gym sessions so far are same as it was before i started keto. i dont feel tired or slow during the day and bulletproof coffee whether is real or not it works to give you some extra energy for the afternoon (i have mine around 2pm and im good until bed time energy and "focus" wise).

tldr if you re doing low carb make sure u take enough fats to supply energy

ErikTheElectric
01-18-2018, 09:44 PM
If you're an endurance athlete or are doing large amounts of activity, yes.

Mrpb
01-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Even some endurance athletes perform better on low carbs. It depends.

a lot of good answers so far. something to keep in mind though, the brain is the only organ that can't run solely off of ketone bodies.

This is not an issue on a properly formulated ketogenic diet. Don't worry about it.