PDA

View Full Version : Tracking weight via weekly average vs rolling average.

Iwillsavetheday
12-21-2017, 03:50 PM
My plan is to simply calculate the average mean for 5 days of each week for comparison to ensure I am gaining weight. Is this method sufficient for tracking changes?

AdamWW
12-21-2017, 03:52 PM
My plan is to simply calculate the average mean for 5 days of each week for comparison to ensure I am gaining weight. Is this method sufficient for tracking changes?

5 days is a good range, but of course - as with any statistic/averaging method - the larger your sample size, the better your accuracy will be. I personally, when tracking, go with a weekly range of 7 days, but I wouldn't suspect 5 days to yield anything less effective if I actually tried to measure the difference... I just do it because it's easy enough to select more cells in Excel ;o)

There is also an app called Happy Scale that can give you a 10-day average as well, I think, with just punching it in on your phone.

Iwillsavetheday
12-21-2017, 03:53 PM
5 days is a good range, but of course - as with any statistic/averaging method - the larger your sample size, the better your accuracy will be. I personally, when tracking, go with a weekly range of 7 days, but I wouldn't suspect 5 days to yield anything less effective if I actually tried to measure the difference... I just do it because it's easy enough to select more cells in Excel ;o)
Cool is a mean good enough for tracking? I like that method as it's the simplest.

AdamWW
12-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Cool is a mean good enough for tracking? I like that method as it's the simplest.

well a 'mean' is an average... so... yes? I mean (no pun intended), but what else would you use other than that?

The idea is that due to water/food in your gut/etc, your present 'real' weight is likely closer to an average of your most recent several days...

In theory you could also do a shorter range if you have very regular meals/timings/urination/bowel movements... but even then it's going to be more accurate the larger the range UNTIL you get to a point where you're measuring present 'real' weight so far back into the past that you'd be skewing the results (in other words, your current weight is not going to be the average of the last month)...

Gloryhound
12-21-2017, 05:07 PM
For gaining the mean for the week, 7 days, is probably the best since your looking for such a small change of less than 1/2 a lb a week generally speaking. You could easily miss a change using a 5 day mean since sometimes it will include weekends when you sleep in and other times it may not.

For weight loss I look for tagging a new low point every 7 days. If last week my lowest weigh in was 150 lbs, the next week I would be looking for something below that. Hopefully a 149 or even 148 depending on how much of a deficit I am in.

Note: On work days I wake at 5:00 am and weigh in, but on weekends I sleep in till around 7:00 am. I've found 2 hours of added sleep seem to make between 1/2 and 1 full pound of difference.

ErikTheElectric
12-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Sure, there are other variables that actually matter MUCH more than simply body weight.

Iwillsavetheday
12-21-2017, 09:32 PM
No brainer

EjnarKolinkar
12-21-2017, 10:10 PM
I pay more attention to my workout logbook, and how my pants are fitting.

A graph of how my weight fluctuated over the year (day to day) and averaged has nothing to do with my bodybuilding progress.

ErikTheElectric
12-21-2017, 10:18 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EjnarKolinkar again.

Mrpb
12-21-2017, 11:25 PM
Ideally: 7 day moving average (a.k.a. rolling average).

Tracking your weight accurately is one of the important tools to establish whether you're achieving your desired rate of weight gain.

Other ways of tracking progress like strength progress, circumference measurements, fit of clothes, skinfold measurements are important too, but they're not a replacement of tracking your weight accurately.

chamelious
12-22-2017, 12:19 AM

A graph of how my weight fluctuated over the year (day to day) and averaged has nothing to do with my bodybuilding progress.

Disagree, fairly strongly. Not without the logbook, but certainly on the "pants fitting" method of tracking progress, and with playing down how useful scale weight can be.

Once you get to the stage where you can only gain 0 to 0.5lbs of muscle a month absolute max, for me at least its important for me to know the scale is actually moving in the right direction very slowly and not very slowly backwards.

Plus its kinda like when people talk about calorie counting like its some massive waste of time, it might not be the "be all and end all" but its certainly a useful metric, it takes a minute a day tops, and tracking your scale weight takes literally 5 seconds a day.

gbullock32
12-22-2017, 01:05 AM
Always weigh myself 2x per day; before and after bathroom. Gotta track those poop PRs.

Mrpb
12-22-2017, 01:17 AM
Always weigh myself 2x per day; before and after bathroom. Gotta track those poop PRs.
In my experience it has been more accurate to weigh the actual poop itself.

chamelious
12-22-2017, 01:56 AM
This thread has nose dived hard.

YOU'RE TOO HEAVY
yeahhhhhh
GOIN DOWN BUDDY
yeahhhhh
CRASH
....yeahhhhh

401Delta
12-22-2017, 03:10 AM
In my experience it has been more accurate to weigh the actual poop itself.
^^This.

squesto
12-22-2017, 06:32 AM
Just in case you haven't already come across this, there's a TDEE excel sheet that I feel is pretty good to help you track your weight / calories

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EbfzFB0mBrMGJ6V2N5QWNfeTg/view

Tommy W.
12-22-2017, 06:49 AM
I just weigh first thing every Friday morning. That's a sufficient gauge of how you're doing. If the scale doesn't move for a couple of Fridays it's time to alter things a bit.

It's like when I'm driving on the racetrack, I can check my times through each individual corner along the track however the tell tale sign of how I'm doing is my time for the end of the lap. The interim times are cool but its the end result that matters.

I'm not criticizing those that want to weigh daily and log averages, etc, Personally I don't think it's necessary.

AdamWW
12-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Might be problematic if you're prone to bloat

blue9steel
12-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Ideally: 7 day moving average (a.k.a. rolling average).

Tracking your weight accurately is one of the important tools to establish whether you're achieving your desired rate of weight gain.

Other ways of tracking progress like strength progress, circumference measurements, fit of clothes, skinfold measurements are important too, but they're not a replacement of tracking your weight accurately.

^This.