PDA

View Full Version : Bulking: How Long and When to Quit?

tylergbass
11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Hello all,
New member here of the forum. Pleasure to meet you all.

Some background information:
I have always been athletic and well defined but due to my height and high metabolism it was difficult for me to gain weight growing up. I have been going through a difficult time in my life for about half a year now and to get my mind on something else I decided I was going to really put my focus on bulking and gaining mass.

Details:
Height: 6ft 6inch
Starting weight: 162lbs (5 months ago)
Starting calories: 3000 per day (5 months ago)
Starting calories needed to maintain: 2500 per day
Current weight: 205lbs (43lb gain)
Current calories: 4000 per day (1000 calorie increase)
Current calories needed to maintain: 2800 per day (300 calorie increase)

Goals:
My original goal was to be 200lbs. I achieved that about 4 months into my bulk and was not content with my size.
My new goal is to be 220lbs. After I reach this goal I would then re-evaluate my size and see whether I should keep bulking, cut, or maintain.

Problem:
For the last 5 months I have been gaining about 1.8lbs per week on average. I understand that is significant, however, over the last month that has changed to an average of 1 pound a week. With that being said, it has been 5 months now since the start of my bulk and the last month has been very hard for me to meet my caloric goals and I find myself complaining a lot more than usual. I am not someone who likes to eat all day, but I feel like that is all I do. Half of my calories each day are liquid and half are real food (2k split). Practically everyone I know is telling me I do not need to gain any more weight and that I look the best I've ever looked, but I am not content with myself. People have definitely noticed my gains in all areas, however, I still feel I am skinny and need to gain more mass. If I were not 6ft 6inch tall it would be different, but I have a big frame and a lot of space to distribute weight to. I do not want to take a break from bulking because I enjoy the gains and know how far I have come these last 5 months. I eat at 10AM/3PM/6PM/9PM/12AM. After every meal I feel bloated and uncomfortable for about an hour and a half. That means I feel bloated and uncomfortable for 8.5 hours a day. I have went through 6 bags of Serious Mass and am currently on my 7th. It is extremely difficult to drink Serious Mass shakes every day now compared to months ago. I dont know what else to do to keep gaining besides what I am currently doing.

Heisman2
11-20-2017, 05:41 PM
If you're gaining 1 pound a week you are putting on a significant amount of fat. I'd take that down to 3500 a day.

Could you type out a typical day's worth of eating?

unplugged
11-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Hello all,
New member here of the forum. Pleasure to meet you all.

Some background information:
I have always been athletic and well defined but due to my height and high metabolism it was difficult for me to gain weight growing up. I have been going through a difficult time in my life for about half a year now and to get my mind on something else I decided I was going to really put my focus on bulking and gaining mass.

Details:
Height: 6ft 6inch
Starting weight: 162lbs (5 months ago)
Starting calories: 3000 per day (5 months ago)
Starting calories needed to maintain: 2500 per day
Current weight: 205lbs (43lb gain)
Current calories: 4000 per day (1000 calorie increase)
Current calories needed to maintain: 2800 per day (300 calorie increase)

Goals:
My original goal was to be 200lbs. I achieved that about 4 months into my bulk and was not content with my size.
My new goal is to be 220lbs. After I reach this goal I would then re-evaluate my size and see whether I should keep bulking, cut, or maintain.

Problem:
For the last 5 months I have been gaining about 1.8lbs per week on average. I understand that is significant, however, over the last month that has changed to an average of 1 pound a week. With that being said, it has been 5 months now since the start of my bulk and the last month has been very hard for me to meet my caloric goals and I find myself complaining a lot more than usual. I am not someone who likes to eat all day, but I feel like that is all I do. Half of my calories each day are liquid and half are real food (2k split). Practically everyone I know is telling me I do not need to gain any more weight and that I look the best I've ever looked, but I am not content with myself. People have definitely noticed my gains in all areas, however, I still feel I am skinny and need to gain more mass. If I were not 6ft 6inch tall it would be different, but I have a big frame and a lot of space to distribute weight to. I do not want to take a break from bulking because I enjoy the gains and know how far I have come these last 5 months. I eat at 10AM/3PM/6PM/9PM/12AM. After every meal I feel bloated and uncomfortable for about an hour and a half. That means I feel bloated and uncomfortable for 8.5 hours a day. I have went through 6 bags of Serious Mass and am currently on my 7th. It is extremely difficult to drink Serious Mass shakes every day now compared to months ago. I dont know what else to do to keep gaining besides what I am currently doing.

Join the club! Nearly every serious lifter/bodybuilder feels this way at least sometimes lol. But hell who cares what other's think!! I don't give af about impressing or getting the approval of others... I'm in this game because it is my passion and what I enjoy and take pride in doing! With that said... what do YOU want to do? If you feel unsatisfied with your current size and want to grow more then DO IT. You've already come this far and made great progress so why fix what isn't broken? Keep going man and NEVER settle for average

tylergbass
11-20-2017, 08:25 PM
If you're gaining 1 pound a week you are putting on a significant amount of fat. I'd take that down to 3500 a day.

Could you type out a typical day's worth of eating?

The thing is I WANTed to gain fat. My BF% was 4% and it has only gone up to about 8% after gaining 43lbs in 5 months. I have been DIRTY BULKING on purpose. The thing is, I am finding eating 4000 calories a day and 3500 both sickening to go through. I might enjoy one meal a day. That being said, I want to gain weight and with 4000 calories a day I still only gained half a pound the last 2 weeks. It is insane how my body is combating my caloric intake. I should be able to gain a pound by eating 3300 calories a day but I find myself needing to eat 4300 to get that pound now.

Typical day meal:
10AM-Serious Mass shake with Orange Juice.
3PM-Home cooked beef/steak with rice or pasta.
6PM-Serious Mass shake with Milk.
9PM-Some sort of pickup food from a restaurant.
12AM-Yogurt, raisins, etc;
I have about 2Tbs olive oil a day and drink about 4 cups of juice.

tylergbass
11-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Join the club! Nearly every serious lifter/bodybuilder feels this way at least sometimes lol. But hell who cares what other's think!! I don't give af about impressing or getting the approval of others... I'm in this game because it is my passion and what I enjoy and take pride in doing! With that said... what do YOU want to do? If you feel unsatisfied with your current size and want to grow more then DO IT. You've already come this far and made great progress so why fix what isn't broken? Keep going man and NEVER settle for average

I suppose my goal is not to be a bodybuilder. My goal is to just look filled out for my height. I do not want to look huge. I want to be Mesomorph (which I am now I think), but not a hulk. My entire life people always noted 2 things: my height and my lankiness. No one has called me lanky or skinny in 2 months, however, I still see myself as not big enough for my height. Lifting is not my "passion" but it is a coping tool that helps with my current life situation and gives me self-confidence. I want to keep gaining, but I would rather not feel more sick that I already do.

Also, thanks for the motivation.

gbullock32
11-20-2017, 08:38 PM
The thing is I WANTed to gain fat. My BF% was 4% and it has only gone up to about 8% after gaining 43lbs in 5 months. I have been DIRTY BULKING on purpose. The thing is, I am finding eating 4000 calories a day and 3500 both sickening to go through. I might enjoy one meal a day. That being said, I want to gain weight and with 4000 calories a day I still only gained half a pound the last 2 weeks. It is insane how my body is combating my caloric intake. I should be able to gain a pound by eating 3300 calories a day but I find myself needing to eat 4300 to get that pound now.

Typical day meal:
10AM-Serious Mass shake with Orange Juice.
3PM-Home cooked beef/steak with rice or pasta.
6PM-Serious Mass shake with Milk.
9PM-Some sort of pickup food from a restaurant.
12AM-Yogurt, raisins, etc;
I have about 2Tbs olive oil a day and drink about 4 cups of juice.Your body fat was not 4%, you would have been in the hospital if that were the case.

Mikeez0
11-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Sounds like you were >10% and now you are overweight. Post a picture.

Mrpb
11-21-2017, 02:15 AM
Upload a picture please.

If your body fat is around 16-17% you're at the point where you'd be better off cutting than continuing bulking. Exception to this are if you're trying to be a strongman, line backer or sumo wrestler.

tylergbass
11-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Your body fat was not 4%, you would have been in the hospital if that were the case.

Thats the point. I was not well.

tylergbass
11-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Sounds like you were >10% and now you are overweight. Post a picture.

How does it sound like I was greater than 10%? I was most definitely below 5% when I started and I am most definitely below 10% now.

tylergbass
11-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Upload a picture please.

If your body fat is around 16-17% you're at the point where you'd be better off cutting than continuing bulking. Exception to this are if you're trying to be a strongman, line backer or sumo wrestler.

Im not even close to that BF%. I have just been tired of feeling bloated and sick from eating.

Mrpb
11-21-2017, 08:19 AM
How does it sound like I was greater than 10%? I was most definitely below 5% when I started and I am most definitely below 10% now.

Is highly unlikely. Upload a picture and we'll know for sure.

gbullock32
11-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Thats the point. I was not well.So you were in the hospital with a feeding tube? Because that is pretty much what 4% would be.