PDA

View Full Version : Constant hunger after exercising 5 times a week

camomile87
11-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Hi

I firstly like to apologise if this thread has already been covered in the past. But I am new here and desperately need help!

I have a body fat percentage of roughly 22.5% and would like to go down to 19-20% ideally. I have changed my workout routine 4 weeks ago and been doing 3 times per week running for 30-40 min (12 miles per week). 1x per week 20min HIIT. 1x per week 40-55min swimming and 4 x per week resistance training 30min-40min.According to my TDEE (which is 2050) and myfitnesspal I should be eating 1500 calories per day which I find absolutely impossible. I am trying to eat 1800 calories per day but even fail to do this as I am constantly hungry! I am still hungry eating 2000 calories per day. I have been eating whole food (no junk food, all home cooked) lots of fibre (plenty of spinach, celery, broc****...) and protein.

My macros according to MFP is roughly 40-45% carbs, Protein 30-35% fat 25%

I have tried to eat small portions throughout the day and snacking on healthy food and I am still hungry. Tried eating bigger portions 3 meals a day didn't work without me constantly snacking. I am hungry all the time and feel that i have no energy. I also drink 2-3 litres of water every day to make sure I am not dehydrated and have tried suppressing my hunger with black coffee which didn't work.

Today for example:
Breakfast I have 2 instant coffee and 50g porridge oat with skimmed milk (343 cal) lunch usually carbs such as brown pasta, lentil or rice with chicken breast and vegetable which is 454 cal but then I still get very hungry and I snack on healthy foods such as cottage cheese, fruits, semi skimmed milk, cheese, tea etc total 600-750 cal on snacks alone !!!!!
Dinner I try to eat less like 2 egg omelette with vegetable or tuna chunk with salad roughly 400 calories.

according to my MFP which I rigorously put everything I eat in that app I have consumed 1940 cal today. Guess what, I am still f.......hungry and very irritable!

What the hell is wrong with me? What can I do to not feel so hungry all the time and eat below 250 cal below my TDEE? Please help and advice would be much appreciated. I feel like nearly giving up and stuffing my face with junk food..:(

agonzalez7679
11-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi

I firstly like to apologise if this thread has already been covered in the past. But I am new here and desperately need help!

I have a body fat percentage of roughly 22.5% and would like to go down to 19-20% ideally. I have changed my workout routine 4 weeks ago and been doing 3 times per week running for 30-40 min (12 miles per week). 1x per week 20min HIIT. 1x per week 40-55min swimming and 4 x per week resistance training 30min-40min.According to my TDEE (which is 2050) and myfitnesspal I should be eating 1500 calories per day which I find absolutely impossible. I am trying to eat 1800 calories per day but even fail to do this as I am constantly hungry! I am still hungry eating 2000 calories per day. I have been eating whole food (no junk food, all home cooked) lots of fibre (plenty of spinach, celery, broc****...) and protein.

My macros according to MFP is roughly 40-45% carbs, Protein 30-35% fat 25%

I have tried to eat small portions throughout the day and snacking on healthy food and I am still hungry. Tried eating bigger portions 3 meals a day didn't work without me constantly snacking. I am hungry all the time and feel that i have no energy. I also drink 2-3 litres of water every day to make sure I am not dehydrated and have tried suppressing my hunger with black coffee which didn't work.

Today for example:
Breakfast I have 2 instant coffee and 50g porridge oat with skimmed milk (343 cal) lunch usually carbs such as brown pasta, lentil or rice with chicken breast and vegetable which is 454 cal but then I still get very hungry and I snack on healthy foods such as cottage cheese, fruits, semi skimmed milk, cheese, tea etc total 600-750 cal on snacks alone !!!!!
Dinner I try to eat less like 2 egg omelette with vegetable or tuna chunk with salad roughly 400 calories.

according to my MFP which I rigorously put everything I eat in that app I have consumed 1940 cal today. Guess what, I am still f.......hungry and very irritable!

What the hell is wrong with me? What can I do to not feel so hungry all the time and eat below 250 cal below my TDEE? Please help and advice would be much appreciated. I feel like nearly giving up and stuffing my face with junk food..:(

What are you stats? Height, weight, age, etc?

MFP and any online calculators are only estimates. It's very possible you have miscalculated your maintenance. While dieting, you're going to be hungry. There's not much of a way around it, but you shouldn't be uncontrollably hungry and irritable off of a low deficit

camomile87
11-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks for quick reply. I am 5 foot 6, weigh around 127 pounds.
I understand that when on a diet you should be slightly hungry but I am eating normal amount of calories and am hungry to the point that I am weak and irritable.

Please advise thanks.

Serpentarius
11-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Aim for 1 pound a week maximum, eat filling foods, and realize you may be hungry, if dropping fat were easy, America wouldnt be 70%+ overweight.

spradish
11-15-2017, 03:45 PM
You are pretty light already. Going from 22.5% to 20% means losing 4 pounds. If you enjoy all that activity keep it up but I'd suggest upping your calorie goal to something sustainable and accepting that losing a half pound every other week or so would be a decent pace right now.

agonzalez7679
11-15-2017, 04:04 PM
I understand that when on a diet you should be slightly hungry but I am eating normal amount of calories and am hungry to the point that I am weak and irritable.

Please advise thanks.

You are fairly light already, and the more you lose the more difficult it can seem to get the weight off. Based on the -250 deficit, you should be losing about half a pound a week; is that accurate?

How long have you been dieting? If you've been at it for a while, i might suggest eating at maintenance for a few weeks, to give yourself a bit of a break. It will also allow you to recalculate your maintenance calories.

If you decide to keep trying to shed the weight, Try to find more filling and satisfying foods. Diet sodas & carbonated drinks help, protein fluff, egg whites, etc. Foods that are filling and high volume for low calories.

th3pwn3r
11-15-2017, 06:24 PM

Please advise thanks.

No, you're not. Both of those things could be from other reasons. Some people just aren't naturally strong for starters but it's all relative. So because you're eating a normal amount of calories you think you're weaker how? Lifts have gotten worse? How can you be sure it's from the calories and not some other issue?

camomile87
11-16-2017, 12:56 AM
You are fairly light already, and the more you lose the more difficult it can seem to get the weight off. Based on the -250 deficit, you should be losing about half a pound a week; is that accurate?

How long have you been dieting? If you've been at it for a while, i might suggest eating at maintenance for a few weeks, to give yourself a bit of a break. It will also allow you to recalculate your maintenance calories.

If you decide to keep trying to shed the weight, Try to find more filling and satisfying foods. Diet sodas & carbonated drinks help, protein fluff, egg whites, etc. Foods that are filling and high volume for low calories.

I have been properly measuring my food etc. For the past 3 weeks. I have been eating filling food. Don't really monitor my weight as much as my intention is to lose body fat and not weight as muscle weight heavier than fat. Been measuring my body with tape and taking photos for progression. So not sure how much I have lost.

I have actually tried another website to calculate my tdee. Now it's says my tdee is 2150-2200
I am so confused. The more I research about body fat loss the more I get confused as to what approach I should stick to :(

lowkey122
11-16-2017, 05:27 AM
What the hell is wrong with me?

Nothing, nothing at all. That's actually what's supposed to happen when you increase your activity level, your body will increase your appetite accordingly to replenish and continue to give you the energy to keep going. It doesn't know (or care) that you're trying to diet and lose bodyfat.

What can I do to not feel so hungry all the time and eat below 250 cal below my TDEE? Please help and advice would be much appreciated. I feel like nearly giving up and stuffing my face with junk food..:(

You need to find a balance with exercise, diet and rest. If you increase your energy and decrease your calories to the extreme then you're going to be so hungry that you'll end up stuffing your face and being so fatigued that you'll start sleeping in and missing workouts.

My advice is to either kick the calories back up a little, decrease the intensity level or a little of both to where you're still seeing results but maybe at a slower pace. I know it seems counterproductive to your goal but it's better to lose a half a pound a week for a year than to lose 2 pounds a week for one or two months.

In a calorie deficit you're going to be somewhat hungry but if it's an intolerable level of hunger then you're over doing it.

camomile87
11-16-2017, 09:34 AM
My advice is to either kick the calories back up a little, decrease the intensity level or a little of both to where you're still seeing results but maybe at a slower pace. I know it seems counterproductive to your goal but it's better to lose a half a pound a week for a year than to lose 2 pounds a week for one or two months.

In a calorie deficit you're going to be somewhat hungry but if it's an intolerable level of hunger then you're over doing it.

Thanks for the advise. Yeah I think you may be right. Maybe I should try to alternate my workout session maybe on one week exercise 3x per week and the next week 5x and so on and see how it goes. Strangely on the days I workout on my days off I snack less and am less hungry but on the days am at work and workout in the evening I am constantly hungry!

I have no problem losing bodyfat at slower pace, just hope that my calories intake will produce result in the long haul as opposed to no bodyfat loss.