PDA

View Full Version : Girardi out as Yankees manager

DanielleGreen
10-26-2017, 10:37 AM
http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/259741066/girardi-out-as-yankees-manager/

Kinda knew this was going to happen.

tripod29
10-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Not a Yankees fan at all, but those of you who are could you explain this? Thought they were an up and coming team with some young talent, so why make a change at the top? Is he a screw up or what??

DanielleGreen
10-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Not a Yankees fan at all, but those of you who are could you explain this? Thought they were an up and coming team with some young talent, so why make a change at the top? Is he a screw up or what??

Too many losses this past season. The Yankees traditionally make the playoffs every year and he didn't do that.

tripod29
10-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Too many losses this past season. The Yankees traditionally make the playoffs every year and he didn't do that.

Huh??? They were one win away from the World Series.

slo0tPatrol
10-26-2017, 10:52 AM
I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves Cashman has made with this fine organization. In the past eight years Cashman has caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress, as we have watched him take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of his massive ego

DreamerCut
10-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Kinda knew this was going to happen.

ufokkinwotm(4x2)

this was supposed to be a rebuilding year with almost no playoff apsirations, even admitted by the front office and Ca$h man himself. and they managed to be up 3-2 in the ALCS one win away from WS berth. this is one of the more unjust managerial firings I can remember.

CobyWan
10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

He also went from an older team that won a world series to a rebuild with a lot of new faces. Nobody expected some of those teams in transition to make the playoffs.

DanielleGreen
10-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Huh??? They were one win away from the World Series.

Doesn't matter, didn't win. Winning is everything.

tripod29
10-26-2017, 10:59 AM
I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves Cashman has made with this fine organization. In the past eight years Cashman has caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress, as we have watched him take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of his massive ego

Aware

DreamerCut
10-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Doesn't matter, didn't win. Winning is everything.

should trade away all the loser players too like Judge who broke the Strikeout record and fire pitching coaches and front office guys too. all losers. sad!

PervedOut
10-26-2017, 11:18 AM
should we expect a "home run" hire here?

awwchit2
10-26-2017, 11:22 AM
seemed like the players respected joe.

idk anything about the yankees but why stir up chit when their wild card team went to game 7 of the nlcs.

Teams are getting better and better and the Yankees can no longer dominate like they did in the past. Boo hoo.

YesWayNoWeigh
10-26-2017, 11:22 AM
lol wut? doesnt make sense

HoustonMiscer
10-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Lol the Astros did this to Boston and now New York, I am finally making it

smokinal
10-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Profesional sports at that level is a very dog eat dog world. Look at Farrell; he's the first manager in Red Sox history to win back to back AL East championships and he's gone. If you don't win, better go over your resume

B.O.L.A.
10-26-2017, 11:48 AM
They want a "middle manager" ie someone who lets the front office crunch all the numbers and send down decisions, then take the blame when they're wrong. Joe did all that himself...kept a huge binder, worked 18 hour days and basically kept them out of the drivers seat. I think he felt a lot of pressure from such an analytic front office.

Big_Spaz
10-26-2017, 11:52 AM

He (Cashman) has to have someone in mind (hand-picked already) or this move makes zero sense. I would have to think we will find out more shortly after the World Series ends.

-Spaz

tightteeshirt
10-26-2017, 12:39 PM
seems like a dumb move. yankees were one game away from the world series AND in the last 10 seasons with girardi at the helm the yankees have had the best winning percentage in all of baseball.

what, they don't like his personality? or he's not into analytics enough?

DanielleGreen
10-26-2017, 12:45 PM
He (Cashman) has to have someone in mind (hand-picked already) or this move makes zero sense. I would have to think we will find out more shortly after the World Series ends.

-Spaz

Don Mattingly... He'd leave the Marlins in a heart beat if they asked.

Poppingtags
10-26-2017, 04:09 PM
From what I've read, Cashman and his analytical team want to have even more influence on the day to day decisions, and it appears Girardi wanted to just make decisions based off his binder.

Sucks for him to get let go in this context, but now is probably the time to do it.

heyquikquestion
10-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Girardi also may be a bit of a **** to work with. The marlins did fire him after one year, even though he won manager of the year.

AlBHappy
10-26-2017, 05:13 PM
There only room for one alpha dog and that's $man

Girardi did get a lot out of that team though. They were projected at 85 wins and went to one game from going to the World Series. Maybe he's not great with the younger players.

Oh well, that 27 he wore for number of world titles was pretty good though...and I'm a Sox fan.

dmoneythegoat
10-26-2017, 05:14 PM

-Spazyou unaware brah?

niospecv
10-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Analytics are ruining baseball.

They want a younger coach to "relate" to these fukking millennial brats.

golfer929
10-27-2017, 08:08 AM
He only won 1 WS since 2008. If you are the NYY you don't accept just going to the playoffs, you are supposed to win championships.

golfer929
10-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Analytics are ruining baseball.

They want a younger coach to "relate" to these fukking millennial brats.I agree here, its in every sport now too. "We need to play this guy because he hits .287 on a Wednesday in July with a wind of 10MPH to the West" Just play the game!

deepfat
10-27-2017, 09:10 AM
These teams are now managing in-game from the front office with a bunch of nerds crunching numbers. They want managers that are 1) All-in on analytics and 2) Closer to the age of these players. In other words, they want a clubhouse manager instead of an in-game tactician. The Lou Pinellas, Jim Leylands, and now Joe Giardis are getting phased out.

Jyeatbvg
10-27-2017, 09:32 AM
You fuks complaining that the game is getting more progressive are probably the same ones complaining that instant replay should be implemented.

sam2903
10-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Bad move, unless this was mutual on Joe's part. No losing seasons in 10 years, won a world series, what else do they want?

SteezeFactory
10-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Bad move, unless this was mutual on Joe's part. No losing seasons in 10 years, won a world series, what else do they want?

A ring every other season, dummy.

RAGEagainstHFCS
10-27-2017, 06:16 PM
From what I've read, Cashman and his analytical team want to have even more influence on the day to day decisions, and it appears Girardi wanted to just make decisions based off his binder.

Sucks for him to get let go in this context, but now is probably the time to do it.That would rule out any hope of a Mattingley homecoming if true...

Not that that's a bad thing for Yankee fans that care about winning...

Still not sure wtf Cashman was thinking, analytics or not.

You're young team is well ahead of the curve coming off 1 game from a world series season and you fire your manager.

Makes zero sense and would piss me right off if I was a Yankee fan.

Poppingtags
10-27-2017, 11:45 PM
That would rule out any hope of a Mattingley homecoming if true...

Not that that's a bad thing for Yankee fans that care about winning...

Still not sure wtf Cashman was thinking, analytics or not.

You're young team is well ahead of the curve coming off 1 game from a world series season and you fire your manager.

Makes zero sense and would piss me right off if I was a Yankee fan.

I've always liked Girardi as a manager, but if you feel like you need to make a move, this is the time to do it. This feels very similar to replacing Showalter with Torre in 1995.