PDA

View Full Version : Is baseball the only sport that was better 20 years ago?

JBhaverhill
10-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Football - Scoring is up. Completion percentages are up. Athletes bigger, faster and stronger.

Basketball - Scoring is up. More fluid wing play. Better ball movement. Athletes bigger, faster and stronger. Superstars playing together is the stuff of an NBA Live 2000 wet dream.

Hockey - who the **** knows

Baseball - Record number of strikeouts. .280 is the new .300. The commish had to juice the baseballs just make some offense. Joey Gallo had 41 HRs with only 80 RBI. Fukkin lmao. Replay review and they still blow calls. Neighborhood play at 2nd eliminated (RIP). Multiple world series titles given to two of the most hateable fanbases in all of sports - Chicago and Boston.

Hardcore_D00d
10-22-2017, 03:43 PM
football was better back then

DumpsterFire
10-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Nba. Way more white people

Lunatic
10-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Football: Rules are ridiculous and you always have the same teams that are good, pretty much.

Basketball: Look at someone and it's a foul, flopping is rampant, and super teams

Baseball: Better athletes makes it more interesting. The only downside is the replay review stuff IMO

TaeBoNinja
10-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Baseball was worst 20 years ago with all the steroids. Every other team sport was better 20 years ago

441Forty
10-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Boxing by far

HockeyBacon18
10-22-2017, 04:05 PM
hockey even 10 years ago was better than the figure skating competition it is today

baseball was better with OJ though

Dre4
10-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Basketball is worse now with it becoming a 3 point launching fest.

Also tired of over-protection of players in NFL and college to a lesser extent. These guys know what they signed up for and should have assumed the risk with hits to the head.

bigcat3655
10-22-2017, 04:47 PM
NBA-much worse. Run down the court, throw up 3, rinse, repeat.
Nhl- fine 20 years ago, more like 15-20 years ago sucked. The legends who dominated and made it fun to watch, lemieux, hull, bure, messier, gretzky were gone. Jagr had slowed down. Now it on the upswing again.
Nfl- game seems like it has slowed down a ton. Same teams on top all the time, same teams on bottom.
Mlb- we are in an era of dominant stud pitchers. Pendulum swings back and forth, but that's where we are now. Parity is really good right now for sure and makes it more fun to watch.

mabidi
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Boxing by far

heavyweight boxing for sure but the lighter weights nah

judges are still corrupt as fuk

jaredmus
10-22-2017, 07:48 PM
NBA was better.. 20 years ago baseball was emerging into the steroid era which was super exciting,, but what killed baseball is the injuries espc to pitchers who you only get 27 starts if your lucky

Shortstop36
10-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Lol at listing boston winning as a reason baseball sucks. Every other sport must suck too

jamalfudge
10-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Never understood the sports mentality that scoring more = better.

89FoxBody
10-22-2017, 08:33 PM
lol @ saying basketball now is better than 20 years ago. brb guy ran by me and the breeze knocked me over. brb no defense whatsoever. Brb same teams make the finals every single year.

ItzYerrp
10-22-2017, 09:13 PM
what did joey gallo ever do to you?

velvetmudhole
10-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Hockey was better.

Garnett
10-22-2017, 11:07 PM
lol @ saying basketball now is better than 20 years ago. brb guy ran by me and the breeze knocked me over. brb no defense whatsoever. Brb same teams make the finals every single year.

Basketball has always had the same teams in the finals year after year. It's the sport where
dynasties run

Big_Spaz
10-23-2017, 10:57 AM
I personally think Baseball is better now. Sure the juiced ball era makes it a bit strange, but interest is very high and there is an excellent group of core young players scattered around the league (Judge, Lindor, Harper, Trout, Arenado, etc.) so it makes each team feel like they have that one guy who can take them somewhere.

And in football and basketball you have a clear cut line of who can compete and who can not. Where as in baseball I feel like just about anyone can compete. The Giants were the worst team this year (or one of the Top 3 worst) and so were the Phillies. And both of them have won a World Series in the past 10 years. So it shows you how quickly it can fluctuate.

-Spaz

YoungMetro24
10-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Never understood the sports mentality that scoring more = better.

more scoring = more points = a much greater set of probabilistic outcomes. This is basic math that evades all stalwart soccer fans.

Metz00
10-24-2017, 05:47 PM
more scoring = more points = a much greater set of probabilistic outcomes. This is basic math that evades all stalwart soccer fans.

There's more to look for than scoring in football (soccer). It's not all about porky pig strength and speed which is the formula for success in all American sports.

Midgetkiller
10-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Formula 1 was phenomenal 25 years ago. And also pretty sick 20 years ago.

thehypocrit
10-24-2017, 09:19 PM
lol only retards think the NBA was better 20 years ago

inb4 we already know whos going to win. What about Jordan double 3peat? What about when half the league couldn't get more than 20 wins? What about when bird met magic every ****ing year? O yeah so much parity foh
inb4 handchecking without realising handchecking makes defense easier and players become less skilled
inb4 only 3s without realising the game is more complex and more **** goes on and scoring actually takes skill now

Do any of you know what happened when illegal defense was removed? They weren't even GOOD enough to score more than 80 points a game so then they removed hand checking. Even after it was removed they couldn't score the ball. Old basketball ****ing sucked lol bunch of talentless nobodies who would't make the bench of the suns in this era.

ecs33
10-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Football took the biggest hit in entertainment these last 20 years due to player safety protocols. Gone are the days of jaw shattering hits and the weekly "JACKED UP!!" segment before every MNF game.

Game is still enjoyable to watch but NFL hit its peak in the 90's and 00's.

CaliSuperSport
10-25-2017, 09:59 AM
lol only retards think the NBA was better 20 years ago

inb4 we already know whos going to win. What about Jordan double 3peat? What about when half the league couldn't get more than 20 wins? What about when bird met magic every ****ing year? O yeah so much parity foh
inb4 handchecking without realising handchecking makes defense easier and players become less skilled
inb4 only 3s without realising the game is more complex and more **** goes on and scoring actually takes skill now

Do any of you know what happened when illegal defense was removed? They weren't even GOOD enough to score more than 80 points a game so then they removed hand checking. Even after it was removed they couldn't score the ball. Old basketball ****ing sucked lol bunch of talentless nobodies who would't make the bench of the suns in this era.

If we were to go back 20 years, the Bulls would be on track to win their last title ever (ONE title). Then we go into almost the same level of variation as recent history NBA champions, even with the Lakers 3 peat.

I would gladly go back 20 years in the NBA. Used to be my favorite sport. Now I don't watch it at all.

sam2903
10-25-2017, 06:51 PM
I think they have all gotten a bit worse, especially the NBA.

NBA- no parity, same two teams every year, tons of sweeps in the playoffs, teams tanking, teams resting stars because playoff seeding doesn't matter, no upsets (when's the last time a 5 seed or worse made the finals?)
MLB- slower pace, too many replays (that take too long to resolve)
NFL- injuries to star players, bad officiating
NHL- lack of parity (blackhawks/penguins winning a lot)

but it's not that much worse than around 2000.

skinnyFAT91
10-25-2017, 07:23 PM
NHL has been absolute garbage. The last 3 years especially. Players going through the motions,most goals are dirty goals. Any big hit is a penalty, no hatred, fighting is way way way down. People would rather watch poke checks and fast skating up and down these days. :(

thehypocrit
10-25-2017, 08:49 PM
If we were to go back 20 years, the Bulls would be on track to win their last title ever (ONE title). Then we go into almost the same level of variation as recent history NBA champions, even with the Lakers 3 peat.

I would gladly go back 20 years in the NBA. Used to be my favorite sport. Now I don't watch it at all.

So since YOU lost interest it makes the league worse now? lol gtfoh

the talent lvl then sucked and the players sucked

it's called nostalgia or you were a stupid kid that didn't know any better

I never understood this **** with people always romanticising the past lol Old **** always sucked

YoungMetro24
10-25-2017, 09:00 PM
I disagree OP, Baseball was at its best in 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016. It's awful this year though for sure.