PDA

View Full Version : Simple diet question

was_guy
10-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Guys I have a simple question which relates to my diet, but it’s been killing me.

I am 5’ 8, 33 years old, weighing around 132 lbs.

I have cut down a lot (16 weeks) since I was skinny fat and now I am happy where I am , body composition wise.

I workout 4 days a week, with 4-5 days of liss cardio of around 35-40 mins.

My normal day job is in IT, so lots of desk time.

I have been eating 1700 cals on my workout days and 1500 cals on non workout days.

My tdee before starting this journey was roughly around 1950 cals to maintain my weight.

I’ve always kept my protein to around 135g and fats to around 60g a day.

My body type is such, I feel like it stores fat easily, maybe that’s my delusion, since before I was eating around 2400 cals, working out 3 days a week , with 3 hiit sessions and saw a lot of fat around waist area.

Now I am at a point where, I would like to lean bulk and my new tdee seems to be around 1800-1850.

A few people have suggested that I increase my cals by 100 everyday for two weeks and monitor my body in the mirror, to see if it changes, fat wise around the belly.

Other few people have suggested that I start a slow bulk , but eat at tdee for two weeks and then increase cals by 250 for a slow lean bulk and keep cardio same as today.

My weightlifting is at a point where I am having a hard time to progress, which is understandable, since I am cutting.

But I have made good progression, I have to admit.

Any suggestions which route I should take?
Thanks for reading.

Tl;dr my body type stores fat easily. Have been cutting for 16 weeks. Current tdee is 1850, workout 4 days a week, with 4-5 days of liss cardio. Weight lifting is now harder to progress, but I am happy with my cutting phase and my body. Want to slowly start a lean bulk phase.

Vandeman17
10-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Have you read the stickies regarding this? I would recommend picking an amount you believe to be 200-300 calories over your tdee. Stick with that for a few weeks consistently and see how it goes. You should shoot for 2-3 lbs gained per month.

was_guy
10-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Have you read the stickies regarding this? I would recommend picking an amount you believe to be 200-300 calories over your tdee. Stick with that for a few weeks consistently and see how it goes. You should shoot for 2-3 lbs gained per month.

Yes I have read the stickies, but my main concern with upping too many cals at one time, I feel like, for my body type, will result in unwanted fat.

Vandeman17
10-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Yes I have read the stickies, but my main concern with upping too many cals at one time, I feel like, for my body type, will result in unwanted fat.

That's why you just need to add a set amount and stick with it. Track your results and this will help narrow down your tdee. From there, you can eat at 200-300 over that which should help you gain 2-3 lbs per month while minimizing fat gain.

was_guy
10-21-2017, 05:00 PM
That's why you just need to add a set amount and stick with it. Track your results and this will help narrow down your tdee. From there, you can eat at 200-300 over that which should help you gain 2-3 lbs per month while minimizing fat gain.

Should I think about reverse diet , that is, up my cals to tdee for couple of weeks and then add another 250 or so for slow lean bulk?

was_guy
10-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Also I should mention , my current workout plan goes like this :

Upper A

Bench 3x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
Bent Over Rows 3x8
Curls 3x10/Reverse Flies 3x12 Superset

Lower A

Squats 3x5
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8
3x8 Leg Press
3x10 Leg Curls
3x10 Ab work
3x15/Calf raises 3x12 Superset

Upper B

3x5 OHP
3x5 Flies
3x10 Pullups
3x8 Pendlay Rows
3x8 Face Pulls /3x12 Tricep pressdowns

Lower B
Bb lunge 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Leg Extensions 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Ab work 3x15/Calf Raises 3x12 Superset

In regards to training, I increase weights after I reach 3x6 on all my lifts. This is usually every third week I increase my weighre, as I start of off 3x5 one week, then 3x6 the next week , then 3x5 the following week, but this time , increase the weight if I was able to successfully complete 3x6 the previous week, as the program calls for.

Thinking of switching to phul 4 day split. Suggestions?

Vandeman17
10-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Should I think about reverse diet , that is, up my cals to tdee for couple of weeks and then add another 250 or so for slow lean bulk?

I have never really understood the rationale for this but know some people recommend it. I think that is your call but if it was me, I would just pick a number I felt was close to that 200-300 over tdee and track what happens.

Mikeez0
10-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Stop believing that your "bodytype" stores fat.
If you don't over your calories, you won't gain fat.
Simply add 250 calories above your current tdee and monitor weight for 2-3 weeks; You will gain initial water weight 1-3lb, but then you will be at slow gaining rate.

was_guy
10-22-2017, 05:45 AM
Stop believing that your "bodytype" stores fat.
If you don't over your calories, you won't gain fat.
Simply add 250 calories above your current tdee and monitor weight for 2-3 weeks; You will gain initial water weight 1-3lb, but then you will be at slow gaining rate.

Thanks and should I keep my cals the same even on the rest days?

Currently eating less cals on rest days compared to workout days.

Tdee seems to be around 1800-1830.

One school of thought is to eat same cals every day, and whatever cardio I am doing today, leave same as it and increase volume for a bulk.

Thoughts?

Vandeman17
10-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Thanks and should I keep my cals the same even on the rest days?

Currently eating less cals on rest days compared to workout days.

Tdee seems to be around 1800-1830.

One school of thought is to eat same cals every day, and whatever cardio I am doing today, leave same as it and increase volume for a bulk.

Thoughts?

Bodies don't work on 24 hour clocks. Look more into your total weekly intake as far as surplus goes.