PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut or bulk? (Pics)

DuhSwagKing
10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, I'm just now getting back into bodybuilding and I'm at a serious crossroads. I'm super skinny and feel like I need to bulk but my stomach seems huge and this makes me question myself.

Here are a couple pics and I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction!

https://i.imgur.com/od0Fn2J.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/smL8Scz.jpg

Thank you!

gbullock32
10-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Definitely need mass IMO; stomach looks more like it might be a posture thing really, hard to tell from those pics though.

DuhSwagKing
10-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Definitely need mass IMO; stomach looks more like it might be a posture thing really, hard to tell from those pics though.

I've heard about the posture thing but idk how to fix it or if it's true. It would totally fit the part though because idk how my stomach can be so big with me being so skinny.

gbullock32
10-16-2017, 10:33 PM
I've heard about the posture thing but idk how to fix it or if it's true. It would totally fit the part though because idk how my stomach can be so big with me being so skinny.If you could post a picture of a side view without your arm blocking the view of your back/side it would help; it could be Anterior Pelvic Tilt, which can be corrected with exercise and posture work.

Mrpb
10-16-2017, 10:39 PM
You've lifted before. That makes you an excellent candidate to recomp. Pick a good program and eat at maintenance.

Fierce 5 Novice routine would be a good choice.

DuhSwagKing
10-16-2017, 10:43 PM
If you could post a picture of a side view without your arm blocking the view of your back/side it would help; it could be Anterior Pelvic Tilt, which can be corrected with exercise and posture work.https://i.imgur.com/CekvXx0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Bfrloey.jpg

I took some more pics. Does this look like the anterior pelvic tilt?

Mrpb
10-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Seeing those last pics has changed my mind. Lose some fat first. You've lifted before, that will make it easy to gain back some muscle as you cut.

Go for a small ~400-500 calorie deficit.

gbullock32
10-16-2017, 10:46 PM
A doctor would be the best to say for sure, but yes, IMO it does look like posture/ATP. This thread has a lot of good info in it, a bit old but can be of help- https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

DuhSwagKing
10-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Seeing those last pics has changed my mind. Lose some fat first. You've lifted before, that will make it easy to gain back some muscle as you cut.

Go for a small ~400-500 calorie deficit.

Hmm I see. Thank you for your input! It never felt right having my stomach stick out my shirt when I'm so skinny.

Also gbullock32 thank you for the thread I'm about to check it out. I hope it's an easy fix! I never was great with my posture..

Mrpb
10-16-2017, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about your posture. Start lifting, lose some fat and your posture will probably be fine.

DuhSwagKing
10-16-2017, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't worry about your posture. Start lifting, lose some fat and your posture will probably be fine. Well that sounds good to me. This will be the first time I ever cut actually. While lifting I mean. I'm hoping it goes by quickly. Thank you for your advice.

autumngirl
10-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Your posture will improve if your goal is to gain strength while maintain a strict form during exercise as you progress in weight to reclaim your strength/muscles until you shade off the extra fat while at it. Try to be flexible and stronger while at it, it will help you when you try a lean bulk or bulk later. I do weighted hip thrust and weighted good mornings for APT. Stretch your QL, hip flexors, glutes (all three), lower back, hamstring, gastrocnemius, abdominal muscles, etc. After a while, you can also try PT for iliacus muscle release after a month or two to bring hip back to normal position. Get your protein for muscle recovery. Good luck!

DuhSwagKing
10-16-2017, 11:56 PM
Your posture will improve if your goal is to gain strength while maintain a strict form during exercise as you progress in weight to reclaim your strength/muscles until you shade off the extra fat while at it. Try to be flexible and stronger while at it, it will help you when you try a lean bulk or bulk later. I do weighted hip thrust and weighted good mornings for APT. Stretch your QL, hip flexors, glutes (all three), lower back, hamstring, gastrocnemius, abdominal muscles, etc. After a while, you can also try PT for iliacus muscle release after a month or two to bring hip back to normal position. Get your protein for muscle recovery. Good luck! awesome, thank you for all of this information! Really appreciate it.

Mrpb
10-17-2017, 12:38 AM
Basically your choice is to recomp in a small deficit or at maintenance.

I'd go with a deficit, as it will give you better fat loss. After that you can start a nice long lean bulk.

Vandeman17
10-17-2017, 04:28 AM
Basically your choice is to recomp in a small deficit or at maintenance.

I'd go with a deficit, as it will give you better fat loss. After that you can start a nice long lean bulk.

100% agree. I think a cut first will do you well and also give you a chance to establish your tdee. Drop some fat and get your body all revved up for a longer, slow bulk.