PDA

View Full Version : Tracking calories

pewzzen
10-16-2017, 11:58 AM
I have a question regarding the Myfitnesspal app. When I measure out my white rice, I don't track the calories with the exact brand of rice i'm using, because i'm weighing out the rice after I cook it and the app does not have the nutrition info for that brand. So im just using "generic boiled white rice". How accurate is this? Do you think the nutrition will be different from the brand im using?

Pur3p3r50n
10-16-2017, 12:15 PM
I have a question regarding the Myfitnesspal app. When I measure out my white rice, I don't track the calories with the exact brand of rice i'm using, because i'm weighing out the rice after I cook it and the app does not have the nutrition info for that brand. So im just using "generic boiled white rice". How accurate is this? Do you think the nutrition will be different from the brand im using?

As long as you use the same length of rice, the brand probably doesn't matter. You should weigh it dry, however, if you're looking for accurate recording.

Corbachev
10-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Just weigh it dry. The weight of 100g of cooked rice will vary based on how much how much water is absorbed or still clinging to the rice.

elephantstone
10-16-2017, 03:23 PM
First, as other posters have said, you should weigh the rice raw, because the weight of cooked rice can vary drastically depending how much water has been absorbed.

Second, in relation to this:

the app does not have the nutrition info for that brand.

Why not add the nutritional info yourself under the 'My Foods' section on MFP? It's quick to do and will always be available after you've done it once. This is the best way of ensuring accuracy in tracking (assuming you still insist on weighing the rice boiled instead of raw).