PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to take Dirk over Malone?

yieldtonothing
10-14-2017, 01:25 AM
just because dirk was the guy on a championship team?

also changed the game. stretch 4 is everything now.

waisoserious
10-14-2017, 02:28 AM
malone was better, but he was really really really not clutch. actually his chokiness is rivaled only by lebron

lsiberian
10-14-2017, 05:11 AM
I'd definitely take Dirk over Malone. Dirk beat the Heat OP.

TimHardaway10
10-14-2017, 05:22 AM
Malone is the better player

Midgetkiller
10-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Malone is better but Dirk is more versatile. I'd get Dirk.

yeshli2nuts
10-14-2017, 09:38 AM
But I'd take Duncan and KG over both

TheRejuvenated
10-14-2017, 11:26 AM
depends on your point guard and offense... if you're using nash or stockton or someone to really do a pick and roll you go with malone (or prime amare stoudemire) and just have a shooter on the wing

id also take KG over both

jalundah
10-14-2017, 02:10 PM
I had this same argument with a friend of mine about a year ago. He went Dirk, I went Malone. Of course, his only argument was "championship", but Karl Malone had 4 All-Defensive team selections, while Dirk is notorious for not playing defense. Dirk had 4 NBA first teams, Malone had 11. Also, I don't see how you can be a 7 footer who had 13 all-star seasons but NEVER average 10 rebounds per game.

also Tim Duncan, KG are of course better than both

Daz206
10-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Solid question. Malone's peak lasted longer I would say and was pretty consistent over the course of his career until his last year or two. Dirk may have had the higher overall ceiling though.

TheRejuvenated
10-14-2017, 08:10 PM
I had this same argument with a friend of mine about a year ago. He went Dirk, I went Malone. Of course, his only argument was "championship", but Karl Malone had 4 All-Defensive team selections, while Dirk is notorious for not playing defense. Dirk had 4 NBA first teams, Malone had 11. Also, I don't see how you can be a 7 footer who had 13 all-star seasons but NEVER average 10 rebounds per game.

also Tim Duncan, KG are of course better than both

dirk doesn't play down low.

this isn't really that good of a question honestly because it's 2 people with quite different games, one likes the perimeter the other likes pick and roll and can attack the basket and play D

the better question is how in the hell did a complete loser who DOES play near the basket like brook lopez ever even get ONE all star appearance.

brb 7 foot tall 275 lbs and plays center near the basket, career 7 rebounds a game.

MBisonSon
10-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Let's ignore the fact that Malone's NBA and Nowitzki's NBA are different :rolleyes:

You're comparing two eras, one hard nosed inside out and the other where you could get suspended for looking at a guy the wrong way.

jalundah
10-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Let's ignore the fact that Malone's NBA and Nowitzki's NBA are different :rolleyes:

You're comparing two eras, one hard nosed inside out and the other where you could get suspended for looking at a guy the wrong way.

Although this is true, it's not like we're comparing 2010's vs. 1970s. Their careers did overlap for a few years. I think Malone's style would do well in todays NBA, but I don't think Dirk wouldve been as effective in the early 90s.

Dirk has had a nice, long career, but Malone literally averaged around 26/10 for a 15-year period. That's insane if you think about it.

sooby
10-15-2017, 10:54 AM
the stats and the personal accolades would probably point to Malone

IMO though I would still take Dirk, dude always killed it in the playoffs and was pretty clutch. He had a jumpshot that literally nobody could stop.

Playoff numbers:

Dirk: 25/10/2.5
Malone: 25/11/3

they actually have similar playoff numbers, but then again Malone pretty much made the playoffs his entire career and was a still a high caliber all-star late in his career.