PDA

View Full Version : USMNT failing to qualify for the WC is a massive tragedy in sports

Jyeatbvg
10-11-2017, 05:20 PM
As a Canadian, I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with an American sporting loss. And here's why:

Soccer is the largest game on the planet, and USA is arguably the largest sporting superpower on the planet. Everyone wins when the US is good at soccer, but the only way that'll ever happen is for rich folk to inject money into the sport, but the only way that'll ever happen is for said rich folk to think that it's actually worth investing in the sport, and now that's not happening. Americans tune in for the World Cup, and even though some of you cucks like to think that these people aren't true fans, the reality is that every single time the US makes splashes on the global stage, Americans pay attention and the money flows.

This loss will set the US soccer program back year, and I'm talking a decade or longer. All of the "fans" the USMNT made in the 2010 and 2014 world cups will revert back to football, basketball, baseball, etc. All of the young kids growing up that dreamt of being the next Landon Donovan or John Brooks to score an epic last minute goal won't exist anymore. And all those rich folk that were injecting money into the game to develop players and bring big names to MLS to play will nope out of there and try their luck at another game.

In short, this is a fukking tragedy, both for soccer and global sport. Soccer fans everywhere should be in mourning.

All we have are memories now..

jbn3rOPmR9w
f0t1wlBS08Q
XG3SbkojJRg

wifestealer
10-11-2017, 05:29 PM
agreed. i'd rather the US make the WC than fukking honduras.

HughBMyron
10-11-2017, 05:31 PM
It's a rec league hobby not a sport.

jamalfudge
10-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Meanwhile us Americans are ready for this soccer fad to die off already.

Jyeatbvg
10-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Meanwhile us Americans are ready for this soccer fad to die off already.
lol you fuks are the ones I'm talking about. You knock the sport behind the screen, yet you're the same ones filling up the bars when US was doing well at the WC.

HughBMyron
10-11-2017, 05:49 PM
lol you fuks are the ones I'm talking about. You knock the sport behind the screen, yet you're the same ones filling up the bars when US was doing well at the WC.

Why would I, A Canadian, Fill a bar to watch World cup rec league mens kickball?

deepfat
10-11-2017, 06:20 PM

These phaggots would rather watch the horrible, non-parity NBE or the NFL which is in turmoil right now. Nevermind soccer is the fastest growing sport among kids while less kids are playing football. And just LOL @ the NBE with what, four good teams?

inb4 derp no scoring derp too slow. Phaggots.

Jyeatbvg
10-11-2017, 06:25 PM
These phaggots would rather watch the horrible, non-parity NBE or the NFL which is in turmoil right now. Nevermind soccer is the fastest growing sport among kids while less kids are playing football. And just LOL @ the NBE with what, four good teams?

inb4 derp no scoring derp too slow. Phaggots.
I agree brah. Can't get respect by being good at sports only you play. People who make fun of soccer are just jaking themselves. And this is coming from a baseball/football/basketball fan. Soccer is where it's at.

deepfat
10-11-2017, 06:28 PM
I agree brah. Can't get respect by being good at sports only you play. People who make fun of soccer are just jaking themselves. And this is coming from a baseball/football/basketball fan. Soccer is where it's at.

I usually don't agree with Canadians but you're spot on.

HughBMyron
10-11-2017, 06:31 PM

I played high level soccer in high school. Could have played for a university team. Wasn't interested. Boring sport.

Hockey/Basketball/Football all >.

IMO.

Sikhveins
10-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Another L in 2017, we have a clown leading us it becomes a trickle down effect.

World Cup is such an exciting time this hurts that we couldn't get it together after MLS expanding and new young talent evolving even if he had to go to Germany to do that.

Never thought I'd be missing Landon Donovan like I am right now. I guess it just hits me harder than most Americans because I have so much family in Canada, England, Europe, India, etc. tired of defending the chit going on over here. It was bad enough when we lost to Canada in OT for hockey in Vancouver few years back.

jamalfudge
10-11-2017, 06:37 PM

American rugby brah checking in. Lettuce be real, basketball and soccer are basically team parlor tricks.

SteezeFactory
10-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Pissed these god damn clowns can't even qualify for the fukkin WC. It's not going to be nearly as fun to watch, I always go in just hoping they can make it out of the group stages and anything after that is gravy. My buddies and I always watch the games where the American Outlaws club is watching in AZ and it is a fukkin blast. They need to get their fukkin chit together and not let this happen again. Cleanse the team of everyone not named Pulisic and figure it out the next 4 years. Dbacks get swept, Yotes continue to suck and the USMNT can't even qualify for the cup. Fun week of sports.

Jyeatbvg
10-11-2017, 06:38 PM
I played high level soccer in high school. Could have played for a university team. Wasn't interested. Boring sport.

IMO.
Different strokes for different strokes. But it doesn't take being a soccer fan to realize that this loss hurts. Any sports/soccer fan should've been cheering for the US to make it to the WC.

World Cup is such an exciting time this hurts that we couldn't get it together after MLS expanding and new young talent evolving even if he had to go to Germany to do that.
I was at the World Cup in Brazil and some of my favourite memories were with American fans at the Fan Fests. I also saw the USA-Belgium game live and the place was packed with Americans. It was amazing to see and something I don't think I'll see again for a while.

wifestealer
10-11-2017, 07:34 PM

this.

huge north american sports fan (well, NFL & NBA at least), but it is cold-hard COPE by ameribrahs who say the country doesn't give a fuk about soccer. maybe they themselves don't, but there is a big fan base. just because MLS is poverty doesn't mean there isn't huge interest in the sport.

their magic run in the last WC was one of the highlights of the tournament. seemed like they were pulling miracles everywhere

GarthVader
10-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Its funny. I've met some people who absolutely HATE soccer. For no good reason really. It's too boring. It's like watching paint dry. What is their favorite sport you ask? Fuking NASCAR.

nvrstopworking
10-12-2017, 08:45 AM

Never thought I'd be missing Landon Donovan like I am right now. I guess it just hits me harder than most Americans because I have so much family in Canada, England, Europe, India, etc. tired of defending the chit going on over here. It was bad enough when we lost to Canada in OT for hockey in Vancouver few years back.

Tough loss but surely you realize that Canada still owns hockey right?

IPoopStandingUp
10-12-2017, 09:16 AM
wouldnt have even known this happened if there werent threads about it on the misc

TJP33
10-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I see what your saying, but if they cant beat Trinidad they don't belong on that stage..
Soccer did it to itself- here in NY, Optimum TV- USA vs Trinidad wasn't even televised on my cable package.. Selling your TV rights to a channel with a smaller audience when your still struggling to get a following- not the brightest of moves (ehh I'm just frustrated as I couldn't watch on my television).
Specially this year, Polisic is an exciting young player to watch- has explosive play that American teams have lacked for years and brings some excitement that fans could get behind.. US Soccer would have been better off losing revenue and making sure that everyone and their mother could have watched the team play- Polisic Altidore and Wood are exciting to watch and could have done a lot to pick up the sport in US- but they shot themselves in the foot by losing that game, the opportunity was there, they blew it- so realistically I cant complain that the country doesn't cater to the sport, national tv time, discussed on ESPN, commericials of when the game is occurring. Gotta do something before the market responds (for new fans, real fans will be there regardless)

Sikhveins
10-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Tough loss but surely you realize that Canada still owns hockey right?

Ya but we had the lead and it was ours for the taking. Gave it up in OT. That was Americas W we choked

niospecv
10-12-2017, 10:46 AM
There is more money poured into American Soccer than any other country. This is why all these former soccer players turned commentators are having meltdowns on t.v.

Soccer is still growing but they have to level the whole damn thing down and come up with a single winning formula from the bottom all the way up to the top.

This way the kids sharpen up their skills and are ready to kick ass as a pro and representative for our country.

Future24
10-12-2017, 10:53 AM

IMO.University team in Canada...

...and kid thinks hes good at soccer or something lol

This guy spends his time watching people play Playerunknown Battlegrounds which he sucks at himself.

GarthVader
10-12-2017, 10:56 AM
There is more money poured into American Soccer than any other country. This is why all these former soccer players turned commentators are having meltdowns on t.v.

Soccer is still growing but they have to level the whole damn thing down and come up with a single winning formula from the bottom all the way up to the top.

This way the kids sharpen up their skills and are ready to kick ass as a pro and representative for our country.

They can start by canning that stupid chase the ball and kick it around in youth leagues. I've seen 6 year olds in Germany and England that actually play the game and play positioningwith actual defending. Start them early like that and stop making youth sports so ridiculously expensive and we'll get there faster. I can't stand the way pee wee soccer is in the states. You don't see little league players running around the baseball field chasing the ball.

celticbhoy88
10-12-2017, 10:57 AM
This could be a blessing in disguise. Finally, US soccer might realize that they need change. Bruce Arena was never the right man for the job.

Metz00
10-12-2017, 11:20 AM
They can start by canning that stupid chase the ball and kick it around in youth leagues. I've seen 6 year olds in Germany and England that actually play the game and play positioningwith actual defending. Start them early like that and stop making youth sports so ridiculously expensive and we'll get there faster. I can't stand the way pee wee soccer is in the states. You don't see little league players running around the baseball field chasing the ball.

The youth focus is probably physical instead of technical or tactical.

dupaloop3611
10-12-2017, 11:25 AM
bars everywhere will be taking a hit come next year. shouldnt have all those old ass washed up players out there just to promote the MLS

Jyeatbvg
10-12-2017, 12:00 PM

I think this is a really good point. The North American attitude towards sports is to be the fastest and strongest. The tallest kids in basketball, the strongest football players, the hardest throwing pitchers in baseball, usually get more recognition than others. The same goes with soccer, where the quickest kids are given the ball and told by coaches to "run" by defenders and score. I believe this attitude continues as these kids age and there really isn't any sense of team play. By the time they're playing nationally, it's just too late. Kids in Europe are taught to pass first and play as a team. Kids in America/Canada are taught to dribble through everyone if they're good enough, or to get better if they're not. Watching teams like Germany, Spain and France play - most goals they score are the culmination of several players working in tandem.

Now, South American (Argentina, Brazil) soccer is different and relies more on individuality than teamwork. This only works in these countries because every young kid grows up playing soccer day and night. That's not the case in America, and probably never will be.

MustardTiger17
10-12-2017, 12:06 PM
There is something systematically wrong with the development of youth soccer in the U.S.

Jyeatbvg
10-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Pissed these god damn clowns can't even qualify for the fukkin WC. It's not going to be nearly as fun to watch, I always go in just hoping they can make it out of the group stages and anything after that is gravy. My buddies and I always watch the games where the American Outlaws club is watching in AZ and it is a fukkin blast. They need to get their fukkin chit together and not let this happen again. Cleanse the team of everyone not named Pulisic and figure it out the next 4 years. Dbacks get swept, Yotes continue to suck and the USMNT can't even qualify for the cup. Fun week of sports.
Sup Steezy. I feel for you desert brahs. Really thought the Dbacks would do something this year, they looked amazing during the regular season. On the flip, the Yankees somehow got by Cleveland so saalty will be going on forever about that.

Its funny. I've met some people who absolutely HATE soccer. For no good reason really. It's too boring. It's like watching paint dry. What is their favorite sport you ask? Fuking NASCAR.
I don't understand it brah. You don't have to be a fan to hope your country succeeds. It's like the new trendy thing to hate on soccer just because.

I hate nascar, but won't bash it if something ever happens along a similar vein as this. Different strokes, different folks.

I see what your saying, but if they cant beat Trinidad they don't belong on that stage..
Soccer did it to itself- here in NY, Optimum TV- USA vs Trinidad wasn't even televised on my cable package.. Selling your TV rights to a channel with a smaller audience when your still struggling to get a following- not the brightest of moves (ehh I'm just frustrated as I couldn't watch on my television).
Specially this year, Polisic is an exciting young player to watch- has explosive play that American teams have lacked for years and brings some excitement that fans could get behind.. US Soccer would have been better off losing revenue and making sure that everyone and their mother could have watched the team play- Polisic Altidore and Wood are exciting to watch and could have done a lot to pick up the sport in US- but they shot themselves in the foot by losing that game, the opportunity was there, they blew it- so realistically I cant complain that the country doesn't cater to the sport, national tv time, discussed on ESPN, commericials of when the game is occurring. Gotta do something before the market responds (for new fans, real fans will be there regardless)
I understand your reasoning, but I think the argument that this is a wake up call and that USMNT is better off in the long-term is flawed. This is because without the WC, the money dries up, and that stalls any development the program would've made regardless. Only time will tell, but I think the US participating in the WC would've (and is) the fast track to improving the program because it gets people interested in soccer, resulting in people wanting to play it, resulting in people wanting to invest in it, etc.

Just looking at the history of MLS, you can see it correlates with the WC. After the 2002 WC where USA unexpectedly made the quarters, MLS Cup drew over 60,000 people. After the 2006 World Cup, a lot of the American players went to Europe to play and better their skills. A year after Canada got its first team (Toronto FC). After the 2010 World Cup the first big Europeans signings happened (Thierry Henry, Robbie Keane, Tim Cahill). After the 2014 World Cup, there was a slew of other European signings (David Villa, Lampard, Kaka, Julio Cesar). Leading up to 2014, MLS was as popular as MLB amongst 12-17 year olds, due to the 2010 World Cup and lead up to the 2014 World Cup.

GarthVader
10-12-2017, 12:12 PM
The youth focus is probably physical instead of technical or tactical.

Are you talking about in the US?

I think this is a really good point. The North American attitude towards sports is to be the fastest and strongest. The tallest kids in basketball, the strongest football players, the hardest throwing pitchers in baseball, usually get more recognition than others. The same goes with soccer, where the quickest kids are given the ball and told by coaches to "run" by defenders and score. I believe this attitude continues as these kids age and there really isn't any sense of team play. By the time they're playing nationally, it's just too late. Kids in Europe are taught to pass first and play as a team. Kids in America/Canada are taught to dribble through everyone if they're good enough, or to get better if they're not. Watching teams like Germany, Spain and France play - most goals they score are the culmination of several players working in tandem.

Now, South American (Argentina, Brazil) soccer is different and relies more on individuality than teamwork. This only works in these countries because every young kid grows up playing soccer day and night. That's not the case in America, and probably never will be.

Pretty much nailed it.

Metz00
10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Are you talking about in the US?

Yes.

cncman
10-12-2017, 12:18 PM
wasn't aware lol. Weird though with such veteran players. I guess its a sign when a child is your best player

Jyeatbvg
10-12-2017, 12:26 PM
wasn't aware lol. Weird though with such veteran players. I guess its a sign when a child is your best player
It should be noted that this child plays in Europe. He's come out in interviews and told everyone that there's a massive discrepancy in the quality of American programs compared with European ones.

Many people don't realize how good Pulisic is. Some would argue he's next in line to sign a massive ($200M+) contract. It might be more difficult now since he won't be in the WC. Every four years a few players shine in the WC and make massive leaps in their careers. It was James Rodriguez in Brazil (signed with Real Madrid), Thomas Mueller (he was always with Bayern) in South Africa, Lukas Podolski in Germany, etc. It very well could've been Pulisic this year. If he signs (signed) with an elite European club, soccer in America would explode.

TJP33
10-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Sup Steezy. I feel for you desert brahs. Really thought the Dbacks would do something this year, they looked amazing during the regular season. On the flip, the Yankees somehow got by Cleveland so saalty will be going on forever about that.

I don't understand it brah. You don't have to be a fan to hope your country succeeds. It's like the new trendy thing to hate on soccer just because.

I hate nascar, but won't bash it if something ever happens along a similar vein as this. Different strokes, different folks.

I understand your reasoning, but I think the argument that this is a wake up call and that USMNT is better off in the long-term is flawed. This is because without the WC, the money dries up, and that stalls any development the program would've made regardless. Only time will tell, but I think the US participating in the WC would've (and is) the fast track to improving the program because it gets people interested in soccer, resulting in people wanting to play it, resulting in people wanting to invest in it, etc.

Just looking at the history of MLS, you can see it correlates with the WC. After the 2002 WC where USA unexpectedly made the quarters, MLS Cup drew over 60,000 people. After the 2006 World Cup, a lot of the American players went to Europe to play and better their skills. A year after Canada got its first team (Toronto FC). After the 2010 World Cup the first big Europeans signings happened (Thierry Henry, Robbie Keane, Tim Cahill). After the 2014 World Cup, there was a slew of other European signings (David Villa, Lampard, Kaka, Julio Cesar). Leading up to 2014, MLS was as popular as MLB amongst 12-17 year olds, due to the 2010 World Cup and lead up to the 2014 World Cup.

There was no long term vs short term- they screwed up there opportunity... US soccer should have marketed and tried to gain traction to get views just in the qualifiers.. I only watch the US national team, MLS just never appealed to me as the quality of play wasn't that exciting. The USNT's (both mens and womens) ill watch, cause its just not available to see all the time (world cup obviously, but even qualifiers when I know their on which people are forced to make an effort to find out on their own, cause there's no right to the WC)- my point was this was the first time I saw something to get excited abt and the people behind the scenes failed to capitalize on it. Additionally the team failed so they didn't get to the large stage to showcase which could have made some more fans.. Just bad all around, and unlikely to see any change- feels like a chicken or the egg scenario- people want to invest in whats selling- to sell people need to be aware.. Either someone has to gamble and put the money up front or the team has to win and earn its following- neither takes place and stalemate.

Jyeatbvg
10-12-2017, 01:09 PM
There was no long term vs short term- they screwed up there opportunity... US soccer should have marketed and tried to gain traction to get views just in the qualifiers.. I only watch the US national team, MLS just never appealed to me as the quality of play wasn't that exciting. The USNT's (both mens and womens) ill watch, cause its just not available to see all the time (world cup obviously, but even qualifiers when I know their on which people are forced to make an effort to find out on their own, cause there's no right to the WC)- my point was this was the first time I saw something to get excited abt and the people behind the scenes failed to capitalize on it. Additionally the team failed so they didn't get to the large stage to showcase which could have made some more fans.. Just bad all around, and unlikely to see any change- feels like a chicken or the egg scenario- people want to invest in whats selling- to sell people need to be aware.. Either someone has to gamble and put the money up front or the team has to win and earn its following- neither takes place and stalemate.
I understand now, thanks for clarifying. Yea I agree with you. People say that USA wouldn't have won the WC or have gotten very far, but that's beside the point. As you mentioned, WC is huge for visibility and just being in it makes the sport that much more visible to a new generation of potential fans/players.

GarthVader
10-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Yes.

I agree. And that approach just doesn't cut it.

YoungMetro24
10-12-2017, 01:52 PM

This. OP whining like the beta male he is. I for one am ecstatic that we don't have to deal with millions of bandwagon Team USA World Cup fans next year.

I guess I'd feel the same way if I were a Leafs/Raptors/Jays fan too.

J/K I'm not a cuck

Metz00
10-12-2017, 07:32 PM
I agree. And that approach just doesn't cut it.

They should at least start with an equivalent to the French Clairefontaine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairefontaine_(football)